Pierce-Arrow Firsts

Hi, I am writing a Automotive History of Firsta. Are you a Pierce history buff? What technology was introduced first in cars they sold from the beginning. Example: Pierce was the first (they had the original patent) to use hydraulic tappets in their six and twelve cylinder engines. Also first to mount headlamps on fenders and that was their special feature protected by patent. Any contributions will have credit given in the fortcoming eBook (illustrated). Please let have any you can think of and forward to hcjoel@direcpc.com

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to correct a minor error in your post. The hydraulic valve lifters only applied to eight or twelve cylinder engines. They were introduced in 1933 and the last six cylinder car was built in 1928. Another possibility for your grouping is the power brake unit that took it's power directly from the drive shaft. I do not know if this was done through Studebaker who owned Pierce at the time or was it unique to Pierce. I believe that it was developed by Stewart-Warner.

• 3 months later...

If you are counting US only cars, that might be true. My Rolls Royce 20/25 of 1934 had driveshaft assisted mechanical brakes then, and I believe they started that in 1928 at the beginning of that series.