Good article for those looking to buy/sell/spend$

NC-car-guy

Saw this today and it perfectly sums up many conversations that we usually have on this forum when folks ask "what's it worth".  Have a read:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/09/18/determining-of-real-value-of-your-classic?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=18_September_19_HagertyNews

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see logic as the basis for the article but not sure the haggerty valuation tool is as described. It read like one could enter more than just the vehicle basic info, but I did not see where that could be done. 

• Like 1

Back in 2010, after my grandmother died and I pulled the wheel bearings and backing plates off my Buick so they couldn't haul it off to the scrapper, my mother started emailing me at least two articles a day explaining that a restored vehicle isn't ever going to be worth even half of what you spend to make it right. Of course this is also by a per-car per-vintage per-buyer perspective and a needy buyer will pay any price if they really want something, but this article pretty much sums it up. It's not a return investment unless you have a 56 Corvette matching numbers with a dual quad intake.

Now if only junkyards read articles like this. Can't believe someone tried to sell me 322 heads for $500 each as is from the desert, because 56 is one year only and "rare".

• Like 2

I got to the part about how to value your car, bored. A ten year niche author needing groceries. Bland as a can of cat food without the fish smell.

Is there such a thing as automotive rhetoric?

"Emotional miscalculation" ?  Yeah, I emptied my pockets and all the tin cans hidden in the garage. Do I have enough?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I got to the part about how to value your car, bored. A ten year niche author needing groceries. Bland as a can of cat food without the fish smell.

Is there such a thing as automotive rhetoric?

"Emotional miscalculation" ?  Yeah, I emptied my pockets and all the tin cans hidden in the garage. Do I have enough?

This article is not written towards the well seasoned souls such as yourself  ?

• Haha 1

Fortunately,  I did not do mine with resale in mind.  I did it to drive. I do. I did it to enjoy. I do. 

We often tell "new" folks to walk away if they are intending making money on a restoration. Rightly so.

Couple years back, a daughter bought a NEW pickup. I expect if she liquidated it today, her losses would be at least half of what I have spent on my Buick. 

Just saying.

• Like 8