Hershey 2018

1937hd45

I have been every year since 1965; my son and I will be there, and this will be  his 24th year at Hershey, even if you do not find or buy anything (lots  of luck that happening) it gives you the enthusiasm and spirit to make it through a long term of winter months. Seeing friends in person who live long distances away at least once a year and shaking  their hand in friendship once again is the greatest part of our hobby that there is. AND it is all brought together by our mutual love of used cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1963  with some Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Members from Michigan. In a pickup camper, on the way dropped off one guys wife and two kids in Akron Ohio.

On the way home with a "very heavily loaded" pickup with four men we started to find tool booth prices significantly higher than cost on way  to Hershey.

So we tried to reduce cost by bouncing on rear of camper as front wheels went over weight pad, then dashing up to the front and into over cab sleeping area.

It worked !  we had some lower costs.

I remember camping on the grass just north of the cement stadium,  they used little International Harvester tags with strings to be put on rear view mirrors to show you paid $1.00 to camp.

Wife and daughter for several years, we rented a Scotty camper from Eytoners (sp) trailer rental  High Spier several times

I have many pleasant memories of the years...………………...including heat, snow, floods...…..and finding parts!

This will be " 55 " years.

I agree with you Walt. I haven't been building anything for the last six or eight years but just being there is what it's all about. This year is different, as I just started re-restoring my '29 Model A.. I have had my parts list for two months now. Can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since 1970!  Still finding spark plugs, but bring more if you can.

Stop by and visit.  If I'm not there I'm out finding stuff.  If I've already found stuff, I'll be there raising capital for more stuff.  Say hi to Susan and bring her something MG related too!

Terry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

Me, since '64,  makes it my 54th, and I promise to bring the authentic vintage Hershey mud display!  I'll bring along a few Cord, Jag XK 120 and Model A parts plus tools, and whatever else the cat can help me drag out.   Dave

MVC-084S.JPG

Dave - I'm sorry I sold my mud in a jar several years ago.  What year was yours from?  Mine was 1976, the year of "the big one."

Terry

• Like 1

Last year I started a new "tradition" I have 4 or 5 friends from Germany that fly over to attend Hershey, they all own pre war cars and one has two 1934 Packard sedans - a 7 passenger and a limousine, one a super 8 the other a V12. I told them on their way back to JFK airport in New York to stop by have some food and look at all the old junk I have collected for 55+ years as well as see my cars. They did that and will do it again this year and for many years to come ( I hope , if we all remain well health wise). they are as enthused as I am about "the Greatest show - and flea market - on Earth ! " . P.T. Barnum didn't have anything better then Hershey , the AACA National Fall meet. Just think everyone attending Hershey gets to see a lot of clowns walking around too !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldford said:

I'll be there for my 45th in a row. I'll be in a new spot this year. 33 years in a row in the same old  spot.  Needed a change this year C4Y34 - 37

Frank

Thanks Frank, I would have walked all the way down to your old spot and wondered were you guys were. Lot closer to the evening ice cream stand now. Bob 

Yep, looking for four rebuilt shocks or quality repros like Stipe for our 30 A roadster, maybe brass era T fenders for bigger stuff.  Always looking for oddball tag toppers as well.  Here is a pic from last year... ?

20171005_072245.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I feel like the new kid on the block as my first year was 1979. Yes we are all getting older and the three fellows I used to go with have all passed away. Now my wife is going with me again and I carry a chair for her. I drop her off along the way where she can visit so I can do a couple of isles and pick her up again then we carry on.

• Like 1

I'm one of the new kids on the block for sure.

My first was 2012 and missed 2016 and 2017.  The wife loves the flea market just as much as I do (and she's a better haggler too - maybe it's the boobs).  I'll be there looking for 77 Cadillac odds and ends and have a short wish list this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4Hud said:

Dad and I are ready to go, last time we went in 2012 this 1950 Kaiser Vagabond followed us home to Alberta. This was my first trip to Hershey. Old car heaven folks. 

IMG_1668.JPG

I recall seeing that car in 2016 at the International Antique Car Meet that was held in Wetaskwin that year.   I was wondering where it came from, as I didn't recall Larry Campbell in Camrose ever owning one like that.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danleblanc said:

The wife loves the flea market just as much as I do (and she's a better haggler too - maybe it's the boobs

I noticed a couple across the isle from me talking but I noticed her most. She came across to my stall enquiring about a Suburban tailgate I had. Batting her eyes trying to get a very very good price I noticed him trying to get her attention.  I told him please wait I will be just a min. to hold on when he asked if it was for a Blazer. They both walked away him giving heck for not asking. 

Dave, you have N.O.S. Hershey mud and I have an assortment of the old cardboard signs that were stapled to stakes at the end of every aisle. I have them on my garage wall and every time I look at them I think of Hershey. Kind of hard to drive in stakes in the blacktop. Hey Dave, I see that you say you are bringing along Model A parts. You wouldn't have a '29 Ford Coupe gas tank would you?

14 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Dave, you have N.O.S. Hershey mud and I have an assortment of the old cardboard signs that were stapled to stakes at the end of every aisle. I have them on my garage wall and every time I look at them I think of Hershey. Kind of hard to drive in stakes in the blacktop. Hey Dave, I see that you say you are bringing along Model A parts. You wouldn't have a '29 Ford Coupe gas tank would you?

Sorry Woodie, I don't have the tank.  My Model A items are predominately shiny stuff and tools.  

This year will be my 16th year at Fall Hershey. Still "wet behind the ears" compared to many here but my ears are just about dry. LOL.

This year will be no different than the last 15. Walking the flea market  for a few days with friends taking in the sights, sounds and smells.

Hunting for Easter Egg parts for my cars. Visiting and catching up with other AACA members I met and have come to know over the years and only see  at Hershey each year. Continuing my tradition of enjoying my annual crab cake sandwiches for lunch. Last but certainly not least  driving onto the Show Field early on Saturday morning with all the sights, sounds and smells that go with that.

This year I am bringing my DPC car to Hershey. Not all that much to look at for some people  but she is 33 years old and I seldom see others like here on the roads these day. I will most definitely enjoy the drive to/from Hershey this year.

One new thing this year. With some luck, a friend of mine ( a car guy) who has never been to Fall Hershey may come this year. ? He can only make it on Saturday if things work out. Funny, 16 years ago that is how I got started coming to Fall Hershey.  ??

Charlie

• Like 1

From last year when I was kinda stuck with a broken leg.  Bionic now so expect to do a lot more hunting this time.  See you there!

Terry

Hershey_2017_01.jpg

• Like 3

I have only missed two since 1971, will be in my regular spot RCH40-43 Pierce Arrow tent. I expect this will be our last year vending......Im getting too old and had seven hernias fixed from humping all the stuff over the years.

All here are invited to stop by and read their feet, have a drink, and the big bathrooms are about 100 yards away, so if you want to leave your stuff off in a safe place for a pit stop....feel free! Ed

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first trip to Hershey was in 1970, as a 16-year old kid, and I think I attended for the next ten years. Convoyed up from Nashville in two VW Beetles with one of my HS old car buddies and his dad and we tent-camped on a narrow grassy strip in one of the parking lots. I recall buying a Model T front spring for myself and a set of '30-31 Model A headlamps on the bar for a friend who couldn't come from nearly adjacent vendors. Unfortunately, the purchases were made at the most distant part of the meet from where our cars and tents were and the long walk back, with the spring in one hand and the headlamps in the other, was rather painful. It took weeks for my arms to stop hurting...

Most years I worked for Tom Warth at the Classic Motorbooks sale tent, where almost everyone stopped at least once. Met a lot of writers who are no longer with us as well as other hobby notables. I vividly recall speaking with the very elegant-looking J. B Nethercutt one year.

My first year, when the car show was in the stadium, I almost got run over by a silent Doble steamer I didn't hear but someone pulled me out of the way at the last moment.

And oh, yes, the rain and the mud... will never forget that. Nor the lines of trucks, RVs, trailers, and cars parked nose to tail on both sides of every road leading into Hershey as far as you could see when they decided to delay a day in opening the fields because of the rain.

Returning this year for the first time since '81, I think, and will be very interested to see how the event has changed.

• Like 1