David_Leech

28 Standard Six Horn Button Removal

28 standard six, likely the same as other models. My horn contact isnt making good contact. I want to pull it off to see why. How do you get it off? I can't see anything holding it on

Can you post a shot of your steering wheel?  I’m not sure if it’s the same or similar to my 32DL.  If it is, I can provide some pictures of how it’s done.

If it's anything like my '29 DA you have to loosen the Clum light switch at bottom ( or anything else attached to bottom of steering column)...then you can pull rod in steering column up from steering wheel. A split ring holds horn button in place. Again, not sure a Standard Six will be the same.

post-149004-0-98563500-1443150738_thumb.jpg

I think the standard six may be the same as the fours in that year.  In which case the process is very similar to what Bob shows, you will probably just have the timing and throttle controls that need to be loosened to allow the assembly to pull up through the steering column.  In fact, to get to the horn, you only need to loosen the connection on the inner rod.

I can't post photos on here but I believe that the Standard 6 steering wheel set up is the same as a 2249 Senior 6 They have a wood spoked wheel with the light switch on the steering column They do not have a Clum switch at the bottom of the box  To remove the horn button the "bakelite" cover that the horn button protrudes from unscrews There is no need to undo any clamps at the steering box  Hope I have been of some help Ron

• Thanks 1

Same as the 128/129 series - remove the lever of the inner rod at the steering box end and you should then be able to pull the  lever and horn button assembly up and out of the column.  There is then a spring ring (like a circlip) that holds the Bakelite lever to the shaft - remove that (carefully) and that will expose the horn button and contacts.

You have two control levers, each one is attached to a tube that runs down inside the length of the steering column, one tube inside the other.  These tubes extend out the bottom of the steering box and have linkage attached.  Remove the linkage from the tubes and they will slide up and out of the center of the steering wheel.  With tubes and levers out from the steering wheel, you can get to the back of the levers and remove the horn button.