Hupmobile script jack. Is it common?

lump

I posted these images in a thread in our General Discussion forum, under "What was your biggest surprise part you found," or similar. But I figured I should post it here too. 

Following is a copy of the post I made under the General Discussion forum: 

Several years ago, when I was first getting started in the business of setting up and running automotive swap meet events, I would do ANYTHING I could think of to promote the shows (that is, anything that didn't cost much money...since I was totally broke!)

One time I even took my beloved old 1923 Hupmobile touring, and put it in an indoor display at a huge local flea market for the weekend. It was surrounded by stanchions with velvet "rope", and lots of free flyers and posters. I INTENDED to sit with the car all weekend long. But on Saturday morning a family emergency came up, and I was forced to leave my precious old car there all day and all night Saturday, alone. I hoped and prayed that it would be unmolested and ok when I arrived on Sunday, the next day.

Come Sunday I was unable to get there until mid afternoon, and by then the crowd was mostly gone...as were nearly all of the vendors. I was worried sick about what I would find as I pulled up to my beloved old Hupp, but to my delight and relief, it was just as I left it; untouched and undamaged. Whew! I immediately started getting it ready to drive home. But while I was working, I heard someone say, “Oh, WOW! You’re finally here! I’ve been waiting all weekend for you to show up!

As I turned around to see who was talking, a man stood there holding an old screw-style cast iron jack…the kind we’ve all seen MILLIONS of at every car event or flea market we go to. Right away I mentally wrote this guy off as someone who knew nothing about old cars…someone who ASSUMED that a crude old floor jack must be a priceless treasure.

I greeted the man, and explained why I hadn’t been with my car all weekend. He then held up his floor jack, and said something like, “I’m a vendor here, and I’ve been dying to show this antique jack to you. It’s for an antique Hupmobile, just like yours. I thought you might want it.”

Of course, I smiled as kindly as I could, and began explaining to to this "poor, uninformed person" that there were millions of jacks like that which were made by aftermarket companies, and sold through hardware stores and car dealerships. I told him that when old cars were junked over the decades, everyone KEPT the jacks, so they were not rare, nor valuable. Moreover, they were not even very safe to use as a jack, for that matter. Most importantly, they were not for any specific brand of car.

He was unfazed by my explanation and my condescending attitude. He replied, “No, I know all about all those old aftermarket jacks. But this one says ‘Hupmobile’ on the handle in raised cast-iron script letters!”

I looked more closely at the jack, and then at the handle...in disbelief...and then I had to apologize. When I asked how much, he said, “$40 FIRM!” I paid the man, and drove home with my treasure, feeling a little embarrassed, a little foolish, and THRILLED with the jack. It's the only one like it that I have ever seen.

Jack w Hupmobile script cropped 4.jpg

Jack w Hupmobile script cropped 1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hupp36...since 1967? Wow. My parents bought their first Hupmobile in about 1959, I believe. It was a 1929 Model S 4 door sedan. Later they sold the car to Bob Heller, and eventually, Don Roetman bought that car. MY parents had a Model A Ford roadster for a while, but got tired of being refused entry to official AACA events because it was a 1929 model. At the time, the arbitrary cut-off date was 1928. Of course, you probably know how nearly identical most 1928 Model A Fords are to 1929 cars, and many fellow club members urged my dad to paint the black rubber steering wheel red oxide color. But he felt that would be dishonest. So they sold the Ford and bought our 1923 Model R Hupmobile touring car in July of 1962...between my 2nd and 3rd grade years of school. 

I have a few collectible Hupp items too. But have never seen another jack. Cool, huh? 

Well if  you go to  the  Hupp tour you will probably see the 1929-30 Hupp  your  parents owned. The  Hupp  Club  member who is  heading the  tour owns that  Hupp, he  bought it  from  Don. When  Don  passed  away,  Jack was  able  to  carry on with  some  of  Don;s  projects. Just  something I  thought  you  might  like  to  know.

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)

On 12/5/2018 at 7:58 AM, Hupp36 said:

Yes,  it would  be  nice  if  you  brought it  to the Hupp meet the  summer of  2019 near  Dayton Ohio. I  am  sure  that  the  members would like to  see it, me  included.

Wow, Jack. Dayton, Ohio is where I grew up, and less than 25 miles from me now. When is the date? Hope I can make it. 

14 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

Well if  you go to  the  Hupp tour you will probably see the 1929-30 Hupp  your  parents owned. The  Hupp  Club  member who is  heading the  tour owns that  Hupp, he  bought it  from  Don. When  Don  passed  away,  Jack was  able  to  carry on with  some  of  Don;s  projects. Just  something I  thought  you  might  like  to  know.

Yes, I would love to see that old Model S Hupp sedan again. I spent many hours in the "mohair" back seat of that car. I was younger than 3rd grade, when they sold it, so memories are not that strong. But I do recall it having a faint smell of mothballs. Then later, when Don had the car and brought it over to our home, I climbed in the back seat again. WOW...now that moth-ball smell was then even WAY stronger! Strong enough that I had to hop out of there quick before I sneezed or something. 

Attached is a photo of the car in our family home driveway, with me on the running board. Circa 1961.

Some years later, when my wife and I were married, my dad found another Hupp sedan project car. It was a Model M, straight 8. I have photos of it the day dad brought it home. Of course, my young wife and I fell in love with it, and asked my parents to sell it to me. But Dad was strangely reluctant. He got it running again, and drove it around the block a few times. I pleaded with Mom to ask Dad to sell it to me, but to no avail. Before long we learned that Don Roetman bought that one too. He restored the car, painting the body two-tone gray, and the wire wheels yellow, I believe. 

scan0054.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)

The  Hupp  meet is  in Piqua  Ohio on July  29th  to  Aug.2nd. and  if  Lee  brings it,  you  will see the  M  your  dad  owned.   How  far is that  from  where live?     Plan on  a  fun day,  no  judging cars  or  people Just  members  with  one  thing  in common loving  their  Hupmobiles.

Piqua is about 50-60 miles north and west of my home. I'll have to get the Hupp's new tires mounted, and drive it around enough to feel certain that the inevitable "bugs" which come from sitting for several years have been worked out, before considering venturing out in my 23 Model R touring. (I do have an enclosed car trailer, but I bet that's frowned upon.) But I'll write it on the calendar, and see if we can make it. 

The only thing is, my old Hupp is pretty rough, when you get up close these days. I hope I won't be too embarrassed next to all those restored beauties! 

I  would not worry  about the  looks of  your  car as  this  car  was  at the  last  tour  and  as  you  can see its  a work in  progress. It ran  fine  and  at the  next  tour  it  will more  than likely be  sporting  a fine  paint  job. My  White Tornado as its  called  by  some  of the  club  members  was  painted  an  off  white in 1948 and shows  a lot  of  wear,  but  it  has  an over drive ,  factory  installed and  will   drive  55 to  65 mph with  no  problem. The  other  thing  is  that  its  1  of  21  produced and  when  I  go on  a Hupp  tour  members  will  look it over  good  as  they  have  not  seen one in  person. Pic of  tour  Hupp , first  pic.       Second pic  1936 Hupmobile  Model  N

IMG_0587.JPG

100_0370.JPG

Edited by Hupp36
Add pic (see edit history)
  • Like 1