Sign in to follow this  
lump

Help ID vintage concept car artwork and/or artist signature

Does anyone recognize the art style, or the signature of the artist of this old “concept car” illustration? I ASSUME it is a print of an original illustration..but maybe that is wrong, and it is an original? I bought this painting (or print?) years and years ago at an estate sale. The seller said he THOUGHT the deceased person (whose estate it was) had been an art instructor. He thought this person had bought a bunch of old paintings may years ago, and allowed his art students to make photo collage images on the backside (see image number four).

I know nothing about old concept car art. But the artist’s signature on this painting certainly is unique. So I am hopeful that someone on this forum can suggest a source for finding out any available information on this picture, the artist, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer.

Concept car drawing OLD green 1.jpg

Concept car drawing OLD green 3.jpg

Concept car drawing OLD green 2.jpg

Concept car drawing OLD green 4.jpg

Nice piece, run that by the Automotive Fine Art Society people.  I'd cut and paste the link but this FORUM is setup to NOT ALLOW the courtesy, sorry you'll have to Google it on your own. Bob 

30 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Nice piece, run that by the Automotive Fine Art Society people.  I'd cut and paste the link but this FORUM is setup to NOT ALLOW the courtesy, sorry you'll have to Google it on your own. Bob 

Thanks, Bob. I need all the help I can get on this one! ------Jim

42 minutes ago, lump said:

Thanks, Bob. I need all the help I can get on this one! ------Jim

You could search around on the HAMB and find the Friday Night Art Show thread, someone may know something about the artist. Bob 

The signature appears to spell "Holls".  It might be an early design concept by Dave Holls, the famous GM designer.  The render skill is very professional.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW, Steve! Now that you say that, I think you may be right. It DOES look like, "HOLLS," doesn't it? 

Hey, Steve. I believe you're RIGHT! I spent hours online last night researching Dave Holls. I found a lot of info about him, but almost none of his illustrations, especially with a signature to compare. But I did finally find a beautiful Cadillac concept car (which looked remarkably like a 1968 Impala front end, by the way). Although it was hard to read after enlarging the tiny photo, I do believe the signature is identical. Do you have any suggestions on whom I can inquire to about this picture? I have several questions about it, naturally. 

Micheal Lamm, the noted automotive historian, co-authored the book A Century of  Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design with Dave Holls.  He would be the primary source to check with since he knew Dave Holls.  Micheal Lamm writes for Collectible Automobile magazine.  Good luck with your effort to verify this a genuine Dave Holls artwork.

Steve

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Micheal Lamm, the noted automotive historian, co-authored the book A Century of  Automotive Style, 100 Years of American Car Design with Dave Holls.  He would be the primary source to check with since he knew Dave Holls.  Micheal Lamm writes for Collectible Automobile magazine.  Good luck with your effort to verify this a genuine Dave Holls artwork.

Steve

That is the type of helpful info that seams rather rare these days, thank you! Bob 

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Steve

That's great info, Steve. I found out about that co-authored book...and I actually know Michael Lamm. We used to talk on the phone when I was president of the United States Camaro Club, and published CAMARO CORRAL magazine. Haven't heard from him in YEARS though. It's great to learn that he can be reached through COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE magazine. Thanks so much!! 

Update: I just sent an email to the offices of COLLECTIBLE AUTOMOBILE magazine, asking for help in reaching Michael Lamm via email. I knew Michael years ago, when we were both writing about early Chevrolet Camaros. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will indeed contact me. I'll keep you all posted! 

Signature looks the same on this 1959 sketch....

The back might be more interesting, looks mixed media, if it is from Holls?  might be worth more than the front?

Good Luck, and Great Save!

image.thumb.png.efa61e394600271c065f0f6d15f1c567.png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

I believe Collectible Automobile closed years ago. If the art is for sale, please let me know. 

Dave, 

It is indeed my plan to sell this artwork, once I can get at least some idea of its value. I'll be sure to let you know. 

Thanks for your interest! 

Jim 

The '59 sketch is attributed to Dave Holls on the all powerful internet. Signatures and style are certainly a match. It does look like a print to me, but if you get a loupe you should be able to see if it's printed or hand drawn. 

It appears to be one of the Kaiser Aluminum concept cars from the late 1950's.

Craig

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Fields said:

I believe Collectible Automobile closed years ago....

It's still going well. 

Michael Lamm has written for other magazines, too,

so the Hemmings Motor News bunch (such as Walt G.

who frequents our forum) probably know how to reach him.

I agree that the signature, without a doubt, says "Holls."

• Like 1

The blue 1959 rendering displays the abbreviated fins seen on the Firebird III  as well as the side surface features and the jet pod rear of the Cadillac Cyclone, both Motorama show cars.  Dave Holls was a major design talent, GM was fortunate to have him on staff contributing in those optimistic years.

Steve

• Like 1

UPDATE: I am pleased to be able to report that widely respected automotive author Michael Lamm has looked at photos of my Holls concept artwork, and declared it authentic! Yay! Now I must set about finding out about what it might be worth. We've had a lean year, financially, and my poor wife could use some holiday gift-buying cash. 

Anyone have any idea about where I might turn to establish a reasonable value for this artwork? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Another update: I spoke with Ken Eberts today (renowned automotive artist and president of the Automotive Fine Arts Society). He has seen my painting and is helping me to find folks who can assist with its value, etc. Dave Holls (the artist), was both well known and well respected as an automotive designer. 

Now to move on to the next step, to see if I can eventually help this neat old piece of history find a new home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1