1939-49 opera 1/4 window weatherstripping

39BuickEight

Hi everyone, I received what is called 1/4 window weatherstripping rubber today for my car.   One per side.  My car did not have any remnants of this left when I took it apart.  Can anyone advise me as to how this attaches to the car/window/mechanism in relation to the felt strip?  I was hoping it would be evident, but it’s not to me.  The last photo is me experimenting with where it might go.  Thanks!

5B5EDB98-42AE-4BB1-B6A3-AD731473B6FC.jpeg

C814B601-DF1C-41EC-B3DC-A9C29001F10E.jpeg

2F55716D-4502-4544-99BF-C357C2BF02D4.jpeg

3FBE3D12-D5DF-406E-A6C4-836C4DB2E167.jpeg

In the last few hours have had a look at 5 off '39 Buick's in various conditions (mine & friends)

One 1 only (my black car) was rubber strip on the angles C pillar as attached (poor) photos. Is left side & right side. Is behind the feathered weather seal (with chromed trim).[Pulled rubber out for photo] Car is gray primer and the rubber is black/dusty to photo's not that good. Would need take some parts out of the car for better access (car being used for storage of parts)

May (or may not) be original but I think has not replaced in the last ~80 years

Did not notice that on 3 other cars in a similar disassembled state.  Will go back and look again tomorrow.

Will send other photos by email

20180916_151413_s_cropped.jpg

20180916_150850_ss.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick
re sizing photos (see edit history)

OK. Went to shed and had a look at my first '39 (green car purchased ~1981)

Some rubber fell off when I touched it (picture 1)

On the C pillar at the bottom of the window metal pressing is small metal tab & 2 spot welds. That is what the change of shape in the rubber is for.

Tomorrow will look at me friends cars, which may show it better (have better access)

Billy & OC will recognise the photos' but others may/will not.

20180916_165319_s.jpg

20180916_165131_s.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have been struggling the same issue. I originally purchased the two strips from Steele Rubber for my '40 Buick 56S. I had my car at a restoration shop that went out of business, so all of the window seals were gone and this section of the sliding quarter window really has me stumped. It does not appear as though your car has the chrome reveal on this quarter window. Not sure if this makes a difference. Chev's of the 40's makes a kit for these windows and that may be some help to you. 

Mike