'29 DA dash pulls

Bob Zetnick

I put new cables onto the old dash pulls on my '29 DA. I threaded the cable up into the hole at the bottom of the dash pull, up the groove on the opposite side of the pull and installed them. This seemed to be the way the old cables were mounted. The starter pull after a few uses pulled out of the dash and the choke pull is binding. I am going to use a graphite suspended in alcohol as a cable lubricant for the binding issue, but it there another way to attach the pull to the cable....like should it be soldered along that groove?...or another method? Again, I just copied what was there. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Soldered mine when I did them as the inner cable I used was very hard. As I have yet to have the vehicle on the road, I cannot guarantee how long it will last.

What I did is in your old thread, but there may be other solutions.

Thanks so much! I totally forgot about that post! My old age I guess!!! :)

I bought cheap choke cable from a lawnmower shop for my '29 DA. The inner wire was soft. After threading the outer shield on like the old piece was I pushed the inner wire through the hole in the knob and peened it flat so it could not come back out of the knob. That is how my originals were. That way the knob can turn or flex without binding the cable. Has worked for several years that way.  I  had to hold a small hardened pin in a vice that fit through the bottom of the hole then took another small hardened pin and peened the end of the inner wire flat so it was bigger then the hole. It took all three hands to hold all the parts. Keep it lubed up with something like Gibb's. 

• Like 1