'53 Special carb starter switch - clean or replace?

JBP

Whilst motoring about the city last week (and feeling a small sense of satisfaction over the disapproving looks from Prius and Smart car drivers), the Buick became suddenly (and intermittently) balky when I would go to start her up. At one point, no action at all from the starter, but power to all lights and accessories, then keyed off and back on, and started up without issue. A pal correctly diagnosed it as the carburetor starter switch, which we confirmed by using a clip lead.

I cleaned the fine mesh screen last year, but understand that carbon and dirt can build up on the inside and cause the contacts to get dirty and cause the starting issues that the car is having. Did a search on the forum and saw a thread with the switch apart, but didn't see it explained exactly how that's done. Does the metal base pry apart from the (bakelite?) upper section? Just wondering about the best way to get it apart and clean it up.  

Thanks Aaron and Beemon. Unscrewed the switch and had a look inside. It was pretty dirty, so cleaned the contact areas up and zapped her back on the car. No issues with starting (but I still have the push button on standby, Ben). A shout-out to Al M. who kindly emailed me the exploded diagram from the parts book. 

Also installed a fully rebuilt correct generator, which was the last piece to complete the engine bay. Generator came from a shop outside of Boston, and they did a great job on it. 

5874BA28-1DBA-4502-88A5-A51DF9454319.jpeg

Edited by JBP (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1