Value of a 40 Ford coupe & 49 Ford Business coupe

I have a lady that is thinking of selling a 40 Ford Coupe and a 49 Ford business coupe. Both have been in storage since 1942!  The 40 has 8000 miles on it. I believe both are flat 8’s I have not seen either and I don’t have pictures yet. Hopefully I will post them soon. Age has said its time to sell.

i am just going to help this lady I don’t have any financial stake in this. Any idea what a basket case or an unmolested original with no rust might be worth?  Where is best place to sell? 

Thanks

Dave S 

To me I would have to look at what it will cost to just get the cars on the road and reliable - brakes, new  tires, clean gas tank, ( is the engines stuck? is the clutch stuck ?) , at least a rewire of the engine ( dry insulation on the wiring harness to the head and tail  lights too) . Lots to consider. Between the cost of parts, tires , labor etc you could be looking at a minimum of 4-5 grand.

I’m hoping to get to go see them and Chechen to see if engine is stuck or free. Take a lot of pics and get a general feel for condition soon. 

Ive only gotten part of the story but apparently they were her fathers. He passed and they were put in the shed/barn  and left there. More to come soon hopefully 

Dave S 

The 40 coupe is worth plenty even if the engine doesn't turn over.  A hot rodder will take that car to the shop and toss the engine.  Even if the floors are rusted away, I'd be willing to bet $18-20k.  Check to see if it has the Columbia 2-speed rear axle, that's valuable too.

Condition is going to be everything.  If it's really all original and a 1940 not 1941 the finish can be brought back some and with very little if any rust 20G and up.   Could be alot more if it's in incredibly good condition and really all original.  There are guys paying premiums for real survivors.  Now on the other hand if the floors are rusted and storage has taken it's toll 10G may be alot more realistic.  If it's really sad because the roof leaked on it or the storage was damp then 5G.  Really need the photos. 

The 49 is not as desirable and I would say 3 to 5 G again unless it's a well preserved original. A car being left forlorn in a shed/ barn for 75 years doesn't always equate to value unless Vanderbrink sells it. 

For comparison I'm finishing up this 1940 Ford Deluxe coupe to sell.  Rebuilt engine, runs excellent, brand new complete fuel system front to back,   all new brakes, exhaust, cloth wrapped wiring, every piece of chrome and rubber new,  correct complete new interior. Looks like it was a frame off but not to concours quality but pretty thurough.  I'm hoping to get around 30G for it and expect I will have to take a part trade atleast to get it sold. 

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

IMG_6122.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I will get photos as soon as possible. This lady is a real nice person that just has to get things in order. 

When end I originally posted I should have said the 40 was put up in 42. The 49 was an brothers or ??? That went into the barn mid 50’s. It is suppose to be a very dry barn but I’ll believe it when I see the cars. 

Dave S 

I'm even being a little picky on the 40 I'm finishing. I just ordered new springs for the trunk and a lock cylinder and handle,  though it was replaced,  it's not right and for 30 I think any customer is going to want everything functioning right.  As of now everything works except the ammeter, which looks new so I have to check the wiring on that next.  I spent 1/2 a day just getting the new tag light to work as the last person must not have cared when they put it together. 

Will be curious to see what you turn up.  Get some underneath photos if you can as well. Under Hood, In trunk etc. 

I hope to get pics of everything. Going to depend on how accessible it is in the barn. I’ve been told (doesn’t always mean it’s true) that they are in good shape in individual vents of the barn. No other stuff in the section each car is in.  Time will tell. I can’t push too hard to get to see them but will do as much as possible. 

Dave S 

"As of now everything works except the ammeter"

Ah,  This might have been written in error but in case it wasn't, the 40 Fords don't have an amp meter, they have a volt meter.  This was a one year only for Ford so yours might be giving a correct reading after all.

Sorry I was trying to remember which it had as I was typing, having cars from a bunch of different eras and realizing that most the guys I talk to that know all the terminology don't really know how to fix their cars,  but alot of guys like myself that may not know the correct terminology of every part on the car can rebuild the engine (see that correct terminology) and make it run properly.  I haven't even looked at it and I didn't put it in there.  One thing at a time.  

Must be my high school education showing through as the guidance counselor discouraged vocational school in favor of a useless 4 year BS degree.  So graduating at the top of my class with the highest grade point average,  I went to work at a marina to learn how to fix engines. Can't beat hands on training even if your boss never teaches you the correct terminology. 

Regardless of what it is,  I'll fix the darn thing so it works. ;)

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1