Car covers

Cargirl

Hello everyone. I am thinking about buying an older low mile car to have fun in. Trying to keep the miles on the Reatta to a minimum. I live in Phoenix, 330 days of sun and 365 days of dust. If I parked my new driver outside with a quality car cover would it keep it nice or is it a fool's errand? I would hate to buy a decent car and watch it turn to crap in a few years. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by Cargirl (see edit history)

Covercraft makes a cover just for that, but they are expensive.   The material is Sunbrella......used for awning, lawn furniture and other soft goods that are in the sun.  It has a 5 year warranty.

You can go with lesser materials 3 and 4 year warranties and just replace them more often.

Covers probably work better in dry climates as there is far less possibilities of water being trapped under the cover and mold.

Go to www.covercraft.com   read all about the covers and materials.   You can even get a price for the cover for your car..........then call me and I will give you a better price.

I have a Sunbrella cover that I purchase about 1995 for a Bonneville.........still have it and use it on my 1939 Buick.....both cars have been in the garage but 20+ years for a cover is pretty good.

Here is a long link to a Car Cover discussion on the Riviera forum.......

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Be cautious of "waterproof" covers..........if they are truly waterproof,  they will  not breathe....allowing moisture to be trapped under the cover and causing your car to rust in strange places.

If you need a waterproof cover for long storage,  make a PVC frame and cover it with a cheap tarp.   Don't allow the tarp to touch the car and you have cheap protection.