37PackardMan

Radial tubes in bias tires....comments?????

I just inquired about buying a set of  bias tires and tubes from a dealer.  The dealer has only radial tubes for the size tires I want....and claims that there is no problem with the mismatch.

I would appreciate comments since I have no expertise in this matter.

Thanks for your input.

What is the difference between a radial tube and a bias tube?

Cheers,

Grog

I don't have THE answer but they LOOK different, are MUCH heavier and cost a LOT more than regular tubes.

One can run radial tubes in bias tires but not the other way around.

I guess it has something (everything) to do with how radial tires react to cornering. 

After 10 flat tires in the 1984 Great American Race with bias ply tires and bias ply tubes,

we switched to radial tubes and never had another flat until 2015 when the tire shop put bias tubes in my new bias tires.  Don't let them use bias tubes in your bias ply tires.  Insist on radial tubes.

• Like 1

From what I've seen provided by the collector car tire suppliers, the tubes are paper thin. For my 1940 Packard, when I went to a Firestone store in Gettysburg, they used a truck tube, and it seemed like it was at least 3 times thicker. I don't know if it was a radial tube or not, but it was sure a lot more beefier. In addition, it was about half the price.

• Like 1

Things I learned growing up in Dad's tire shop in the '60's.  You can use a radial tube in a bias tire but never try to use a bias tube in a radial tire. You can use a smaller tube than specified, even several sizes smaller, but never use a larger tube than specified. In an emergency a bicycle tube can be used in a bias tire. Don't believe me? Try inflating a bike tire 'til it bursts. You will be surprised.

Tubes don't have plies, so how exactly can they be "radial" or "bias"?  From what I can discern, these so-called "radial" tubes are simply inner tubes with a thicker wall.

Tractor supply sells a gram tractor tube that works very well in bias or radial tires. It is thick and inexpensive. 

Dave S 

When I owned a new TR4A n 66, yes all TRs came with tubes, i was going to upgrade to Michelin tires and was told had to buy new tubes too  the difference is they are a little heavier but are lapped seamed not butt seamed