1878 Green Bay to Madison, WI 'Auto' Race

AVS619

My wife and I are hosting a brass-ear car tour here in south central Wisconsin (mostly Jefferson and Dodge Counties). What occurred in this area was the 1878 race of basically steam traction engines from Green Bay to Madison Wisconsin. What I can't seem to find out with any certainty is the route. I have a general route but I would like to know with more specificity the route taken from Waupun, through Watertown and Fort Atkinson to Janesville and possibly going though Milton, WI. Obviously the goal is to identify parts of the route so that we may drive on some of it. So, if anyone knows of this race and what routes were actually driven and/or where I might obtain this information I will be most grateful. By the way, if you own a brass-era car and are interested in joining us on the tour next June (2nd-7th) please let me know. Contact Tom at brasscars@charter.net.

Hello. Thank you for your replies. I have been looking into this for quite some time, I live close to where it occurred in Jefferson County, but what eludes me is the actual route. A very crude drawing of the route is available and suggests that the two went through Fort Atkinson and Milton but no real proof yet as to what road was taken. Local papers and historical societies have not been too helpful so far but I have not been able to go and try to research their archives. I'll keep working on it but had hoped that out there somewhere was some data that someone already found. Thank you again for your responses.