Steering box dissasemble ??

GaryBudd

The worm will come off, but not without a heavy press at some danger to the worm. I believe they were sweated on with a keyway. They are not made to come off.

There are some wee radial holes I can see. Are there any grub screws in any of them? The bearing has to come off up the column. I couldn't source new ones so I reused what was there; it was in good shape and adjusted up well.

I see a big hammer on the bench. Put that away! It is not a steering box tool. :huh:

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Those bearings can be loose. They are axial load or thrust bearings. If they are under a little axial load, is any lateral movement possible?

Trying to remember how they are inside.  The big nut on the box pushes that big block down onto the bearing pushing it against the end of the worm. The other bearing is below the worm and goes in before the column. It has a ledge to sit against and the other side holds the worm in the correct position.  The big nut puts a little axial load on that upper bearing to position it, pushing the column onto the lower bearing and prevent axial movement of the column and worm. If the bearings are in good condition, there should be no lateral movement of the column and worm.

What is stopping them sliding up the column?

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, GaryBudd said:

Anymore suggestions?

OK, time for a closer inspection. I have a box from a DC that crashed and the driver was killed. The car was tipped into a drain and rust took a fair bit of it. The steering column rusted away in the top half but the box was OK. Here are the worm and bottom of the column. This was a wreck so I pushed the worm off to see what was there. Clearly, this is a lighter, slower? car than yours. The shaft is 0.802" diameter.

DC_Steering@worm2.thumb.jpg.ed152a6fcde6faf4fad8bbbed7ee6457.jpgDC_Steering@Worm3.thumb.jpg.0853980ce59992d9d0b78e39b04790d2.jpgDC_Steering@worm1.thumb.jpg.36c38e0d269786aae53bc474fea28065.jpg

You can see a ridge on the column to the right of the collar. It is about 0.005". Whether it is a wear ridge or something to keep the collar in place (e.g. during assembly), I don't know. You can certainly see  a wear groove in the column nearer the collar. I don't know what the black colour is, I don't think I painted it but after 25 years, hu noze?

Fortunately the shaft I was working on is a spare.I guess I need to realize my limitations. Stinks that I find myself in a position of working alone on this car.I think I will skip the steering shaft for now and continue on with other car projects. Thank you for your reply's.