Where are the Pre-War Events these days???

28pontiac

Recently in these Forums we have all read about Hershey being a huge event as we all know, and Greenfield Village's Old Car Festival being the nations largest and oldest event for pre-1932 cars, but where are other cool car shows that would cater largely to the pre-war crowd.  There must be some old towns, festivals, other events (not Touring events) through-out the states that there are lots of old cars?!!  Anyone know of any that have a good turnout of older cars that a car enthusiast would travel a few hours to attend?  Being in Metro Detroit, we have some events at the Gilmore Museum, and the Sloan Museum, but the other 'hundreds' of events each summer are more for all cars.  

Here are a couple shots of Greenfield Village this year (cold and damp), awesome event with over 1000 cars, events, festivities.  The 'coppers' nabbed me for trying to knock off the Wright Brothers shop, then took my Pontiac for their CHIEF.  Dirty Rats!!!!

Bill

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0708.JPG

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0697.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No pre WWII era only car shows on long island any longer to the best of my knowledge. the last one I knew of was at Sagamore Hill, Teddy Roosevelt's home in Oyster Bay . It was run by the local Horseless Carriage Club region, when that club faded away the meet was taken over by the local CCCA region that I helped start and I spent considerable time working with the Sagamore Hill people to get the meet to remain and stay pre WWII. that pre war flavor  is now gone as the current officers of that region do not draw  the line/ cut off date  at Pre WWII because they don't want to disappoint anyone. You used to see 60 pre war vehicles at that show, now perhaps you get half that amount and for the most part the owners pf pre war cars do not attend any longer because it is like any other show you go to now.

• Thanks 1

Interesting sounding event Walt.  A lot of folks with older cars look for events to go to.  Thats what makes Greenfield Village so great, and some of the single mark events like the Packard or Graham national meets.  It would be great if a few events focused on just pre-war cars.  But these events DO NOT have to be just old cars I suppose to be good, but should have a large percentage of older vehicles in attendance.  Most of the events now are for Muscle Cars, Rods and other 50's-80's cars , which fine in itself because most true car enthusiasts like everything (still have my 1st car, a '70 GTO), but you never see the older ones. So, just curious if there are any others out there???  Small historic town events, larger meets, anything!

• Like 2

I have heard of the Kingston Tour.  There are several Tours on the map where the older cars actually go on the road 'Touring', some of which are for pre late '20's cars, but we're still looking for car shows.  All day shows, hanging out with other old car guys, maybe some scenic stuff to see, shopping for the gals... whatever is there.  Perhaps events in small towns which get a big turnout of pre-war cars??  Any others anyone knows of?

It is no different than this Webpage, the  Brass era and Pre WWII stuff is getting pushed off the General Forum by current dealership cars. Once the new stuff gets a toe hold the old stuff is gone forever. it was a great hobby, so glad I got to see it in the Golden Years and meet some of the founders. Bob 

• Like 2

Returned 10 hours ago from the 5-day Glidden Revival Tour, an annual event, this year based in Twin Falls, Idaho.  Photos are still in my phone.  We had about 85 pre-war (WW2, that is) cars from 1909 through 1942.  This was my first Glidden, and it has an aggressive touring schedule:  I put about 850 miles on my 1918 Pierce-Arrow 48-B-5, and 350 miles the week before on the annual (private invitational) Modoc Tour for teens and 20s cars out of Alturas, CA.

Next year's Glidden is in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

In the spirit of Mark Twain, the demise of pre-war car tours is greatly exaggerated, but one has to look a little harder for opportunities than we used to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And October 4-7 is the fall tour of the Nickel Age Touring Club in Truckee/Tahoe, CA.

And May 15-19, 2019, the Nickel Era Touring Registry (NETR--accepts cars through 1932 for its tours) of HCCA has its annual tour in Minden/Carson City, NV.

Still on our way home from the 2018 Glidden Tour in Twin Falls, Idaho-

Tow vehicle went down on the way there so we drove the last 500 miles to get there in our 1941 Cadillac convertible -

Drove the entire tour - long but wonderful days with amazing scenery -

then drove back to central Wyoming to retrieve the tow vehicle and trailer

Now in Northern Louisiana, and hopefully get home this afternoon-

Many thanks to Merrill Maxfield, Dawn Schwartzenberger, Joy Eagle, and all the committee personnel who made this AAA Glidden Tour the success that is has been

On 9/15/2018 at 7:16 PM, 28pontiac said:

I have heard of the Kingston Tour.  There are several Tours on the map where the older cars actually go on the road 'Touring', some of which are for pre late '20's cars, but we're still looking for car shows.  All day shows, hanging out with other old car guys, maybe some scenic stuff to see, shopping for the gals... whatever is there.  Perhaps events in small towns which get a big turnout of pre-war cars??  Any others anyone knows of?

We do all of that on an AACA Tour. Talk, sitesee, amble along....especially on the older car tours.  Me, I'm registered for the Sentimental Tour out of Natchez and Vicksburg, MS.  They don't teach American history anymore in schools, but when I was in the 8th grade we studied all about Natchez, Vicksburg and the Trace.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:59 PM, Grimy said:

Returned 10 hours ago from the 5-day Glidden Revival Tour, an annual event, this year based in Twin Falls, Idaho.  Photos are still in my phone.  We had about 85 pre-war (WW2, that is) cars from 1909 through 1942.  This was my first Glidden, and it has an aggressive touring schedule:  I put about 850 miles on my 1918 Pierce-Arrow 48-B-5, and 350 miles the week before on the annual (private invitational) Modoc Tour for teens and 20s cars out of Alturas, CA.

Next year's Glidden is in Rock Hill, South Carolina.

In the spirit of Mark Twain, the demise of pre-war car tours is greatly exaggerated, but one has to look a little harder for opportunities than we used to. 

Grimy, that is exactly why I devised the Sentimental Tour.  I can remember when late 30s and early 40s cars were lined up at the Hershey show, but starting about 15  years ago they began to disappear and now they're down to onesies twosies.  Hopefully, the tour I developed for AACA in my years on the Board will encourage more people to save those cars, most of which do not have A/C, power steering, power brakes and FM radios, tape and CD players.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Still on our way home from the 2018 Glidden Tour in Twin Falls, Idaho-

Tow vehicle went down on the way there so we drove the last 500 miles to get there in our 1941 Cadillac convertible -

Drove the entire tour - long but wonderful days with amazing scenery -

then drove back to central Wyoming to retrieve the tow vehicle and trailer

Now in Northern Louisiana, and hopefully get home this afternoon-

Many thanks to Merrill Maxfield, Dawn Schwartzenberger, Joy Eagle, and all the committee personnel who made this AAA Glidden Tour the success that is has been

Good for you Marty.  I wish I had your nerve, but that's going to have to come maybe.  I turn 80 next month, and I just wonder how long I can make those long pulls.  Trailer tires are a real factor for me pulling long distances too. Don't know how much longer I can do it....wish it never had to stop.  Thinking about the SC Glidden next year and hope to hang on for the WVA Sentimental Tour in 2020.  After that all bets are off I guess.  Fortunately there is a good CCCA Region here in S.Florida that is close enough to drive the car to for an old couple.

By the way, I finished our 1941 Buick Roadmaster sedan in the nick of time to feel safe spending $869 for a new set of shoes for the blue '39 Buick Special that we'll take to the Sentimental Tour.  There seems to be no end to spending money on my old cars, so we're going to sell two of them, the 1939 Buick Special 4-door convertible (next AACA magazine) and the 1964 Buick Wildcat 2dr hardtop (would be in the same magazine, but not sure I can have it ready to sell in just another week).  That would get me down to two old cars.  We may search for a 1991-1994 Buick Park Avenue with low mileage that we can drive to the AACA Founders Tour in Nebraska in 2019.

Come to Kingston Aug. 4 to 9 2019 for some new roads to travel on. I am on my lap top as my pc is in the shop getting a dusting and cleaning and all my info on the tour is on it. He have the Ambassador Hotel 613-548-3605  booked with on site parking on asphalt for your truck and trailers . Plus it is a hub tour returning back each day so if you want you brass car in for the night. Rooms are $135. a night Canadian $ including a hot breakfast.  Kingston  was founded in 1673 is an medium size place where it is perfect for vintage car tours.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you want to come out west we're putting on the Pathfinders Reliability Run June 8th to 16th 2019. This is for cars pre 1920. This is a progressive tour covering over 800 miles. Starting in Rossland British Columbia the tour will visit Washington, Idaho and Montana before returning to Rossland. I'll be taking my 14 Premier. For more information on this, email me through the forum and I'll send you the info.

Ken

Coos Bay Ken's 14 Premier.JPG

Coos bay-1.JPG

One of the best West coast show and meets is held in September (it was a week or two ago,  I couldn't make it again). It is put on in partnership between the San Jose Historic Guild (I think I got that right) and the Santa Clara Valley Model T Ford Club (A fantastic and very active group of mostly model T owners, although many other era cars are also owned by members). As I recall, entry is free for people bringing pre WWII automobiles. There is an entry fee for people coming to look.Automobile years range from an 1899 Osen and Hunt (built in San Jose CA) up through about 1941, with the majority of cars being '20s and early '30s. The Horseless Carriage club is usually well represented with one cylinder Cadillacs, 1 or 2 cyl REOs, and a variety of other brass era cars. There are usually a few people giving rides.

The show is called "History in the Park".

Google "Santa Clara Valley Model T Ford Club" and you should be able to find their home page. Follow links to "History in the Park".

There is nothing new about newer cars forcing out the early cars in clubs and shows.

When I was first getting into this hobby in 1967 (I was still in high school), I found and joined a local club based in Redwood City CA (about 40 miles from where I lived at that time). They had a "soft" cutoff at 1934. Ownership of a 1934 or earlier car was not required, and the club welcomed people with later cars to join and participate on tours. It was common for late '30s Packards, Fords, and Chevrolets to be on tours. I toured with the '29 Reo I had then, or my first model T speedster (so I was pre '34 anyway).  Other regular cars on tours included brass era Ts and an EMF, three other '20s Reos, several Overlands, '20s Buicks, 4 cylinder Chevrolets, Packards, Pierce Arrows, and the list went on. It was a great club and a friendly bunch of people.

Unfortunately, a few years later, a few people decided it wasn't fair to treat the members that had late '30s cars as "second class" members (I never saw anybody treat them that way? But whatever?). Within two years, half the cars on the tours were '50s cars. Some of the faster late '20s and early '30s cars did continue on tours. But none of the earlier cars did. I decided I didn't need to travel 40 miles each way to tour with modern cars. Besides, the SCVMTFC didn't mind my Reo on their tours. A couple years after that, I sold that Reo. I had decided that 1929 was just a little too modern for my antique automobile liking.

But, that was me.

I did however, like that club. But to this day, no matter how well intentioned, when people begin talking about "expanding" the field of interest in the Horseless Carriage Club of America (which I belong to), or the AACA or the Classic Car Club of America, I usually quickly take a stand against it. Special automobiles need special people and organizations to cater to their needs. The HCCA should not "widen" their scope at the loss of caring for the cars of the first two decades of the automobile. And the CCCA does NOT need my Paige watering down their list of Classics!

But again, that is just my opinion.

• Like 3

In reading some of these posts, AND a lot on other threads, it is very obvious that many folks are at a loss for more one day or weekend events catering to pre-war cars.  Yes, there are a few of the older events (Hershey, Greenfield Village, Ypsilanti Orphan Owners show, Gilmore Museum, etc), but most of the smaller, localized events have given way to the later cars as several folks have commented.  

I have several friends in the Horseless Carriage Club, and I know how much folks enjoy Touring in older cars.  But driving pre-war cars today longer distances that cruise comfortably in the 30-45 mph range is not as enjoyable as it used to be,....primarily with the modern generation of poor (and distracted) drivers who believe the posted speed limit is 'a starting point', the road is theirs, and that old cars (and people) belong in Museums, not on the road.  Things have changed a lot, even in just the last 12-15 years, and it is probably only going to get worse.

I know a lot of folks like myself look for enjoyable events to attend for a day (or 2) that allow us to park, look at cars, and hang out with other folks with older cars like ours.  Does not have to be a certified classic, I have just as much fun looking at a Graham, Essex or Falcon Knight as a Peerless or Packard!  Does not have to have a 5 acre swap meet either.  That just makes me miss the show!!!  Just a nice location to hangout, perhaps an old town with good food and a couple Antique shops for the gals to enjoy.  Perhaps limited to pre-war era cars, or at least pre 1949 timeframe.  No stress of Judging, perhaps a few popular vote awards for various groupings if anything.  What a cool yearly event that would be, especially in a good location (for me that would be within a day drive from MI.).  

Hey,....Just Thinkin!!  As we get older, that's what we do.

• Like 1

I do not mean to rain on your car show except to say I feel you have the wrong car.  I saw you at the Windsor cruise night last August ( I drove my '39 Buick Century about an hour to be there) and were there any other cars like yours, which were not hot rods?

The kind of car show you are looking for was common 30 years ago, lucky for you there is the Old Car Festival and Gilmore Pre War days near where you live.  My wife and I attended both with our 1913 Buick and those shows come closest to your desires in todays environment.

Our cars are for touring with our car friends, at 30 MPH, we have car shows nearby but we rarely go.  The few we do, I win an award, let dads take kids pictures in the car, teach kids to squeeze the bulb horn to make a squawk, stop for ice cream on the drive home.   Its a good day because we make it one.

I sold a '29 Chevrolet recently to a fellow who was in a group of 6 friends who drive twenties car for enjoyment.  Hopefully you can find or invent your own club and travel together to car shows in twenties cars too.

Regards, Gary

• Like 1

I will jump in here the brass era events. Snappers Brass and Gas does three annual tours for pre 1915 cars usually in the Eastern US and Canada. They also participate in the every two year Dawn Patrol World War One Event with planes, re-enactors and pre 1918 cars in Dayton, Ohio by the Air Force Museum.  I was there with three cars last weekend. HCCA also does several national pre 1915 tours and some pre world war two tours and local tours that welcome pre war two. 

Tom

I am a member of Snappers as well.  I think 28 Pontiac is looking for single day car shows where he can sit in a lawn chair behind his 20's car and interact with like minded owners and the public.  I'm with you, Tom, these cars are total enjoyment on the road rumbling along with friends.  Other than what has been talked about I do not know of any stationary shows and Mr 28 Pontiac will be disappointed.

Gary

I nearly forgot, what about Auburn, In in the spring.  Certainly a wonderful show where you could have the Pontiac judged or display only.  A great reason too belong to the AACA, too

Edited by cxgvd
Auburn comment (see edit history)

In response to CXGVD,.... you definitely have me confused with someone else in regards to seeing me at a Windsor Cruise,.....I have never attended this event nor have I ever heard of it.  In regards to raining on my car show, I personally do not put on a car show (though I help with them), and as for "sitting in a lawn chair behind my '20's car", we rarely ever sit!  Now that that has been addressed......

As for my original post about other car events with a strong turnout of older cars, I was inquiring about enjoyable smaller events in scenic towns or locations people may NOT be aware of.  It is a topic often brought up by car enthusiasts (about new places to go), and I thought someone may know of some and let everyone know.  Concerning my '28,  it is currently my only pre-war car and we use this for older car events primarily.  It is a joy to drive!  We have other cars for Cruises, Concours Events or local Car Shows, but like many folks, once in awhile it's fun to just hang out for a day.  That is why I first inquired about other events folks may not know about.    

Edited by 28pontiac
Shortened. (see edit history)

I spent the weekend at the Newport Hill Climb in West central Indiana. Hundreds of pre-war cars in the show and all stock. And it's not just a lawn chair event, these cars are run up the 1800 ft. hill in a timed event, by class. There is also another car show in town for street rods and muscle cars. It's a great show!

I like the pre-war stuff.  That's not to say that there are not great desirable cars later than 1941---  just my preference is pre-war.  Mr 28pontiac has a good point about driving those era cars in today's traffic - it can be stressful.  Generally, though - here is where we need to confront our fear (IMO)  - the number of crashes ( that is how today's traffic planners and engineers a call them - NOT accidents) is down.  Sometimes confronting fear is the best thing we can do for ourselves.  Easier said than done.

I love Marty's 41 Cadillac.  I had a ride in it - wonderful car.  Remember it fondly passing me on I95 ( yeah Interstate 95) during the Sentimental in NH ('14?).  Earl's Buick is great.  I have a friend who has a '28 Pontiac - I really like that car.  Cant wait for Joe's vintage tour!  Their '30 Cadillac is awesome!

What is nice -- and not so fun - about tours like Sentimental and Founders - is ------me.  I bring my pre-war and think I need to stay with the pack.  Hard to do with the late model antiques.  It's nice to be in a group on tours but that doesn't always happen.  I'm too slow for 'them' OR 'they' are too fast for me - I haven't figured it out.  Some people want to get there fast, some not so much.  Seems each car 'era' operates at the most efficient for the era they were built for - late '20s car are 35mp, 60's more like 50ish

Maybe the real answer is that we all need to be more empathetic to each other.  There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us,  that it behooves any of us to find fault with the rest of us.

Tom

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, cxgvd said:

I am a member of Snappers as well.  I think 28 Pontiac is looking for single day car shows where he can sit in a lawn chair behind his 20's car and interact with like minded owners and the public.  I'm with you, Tom, these cars are total enjoyment on the road rumbling along with friends.  Other than what has been talked about I do not know of any stationary shows and Mr 28 Pontiac will be disappointed.

Gary

I nearly forgot, what about Auburn, In in the spring.  Certainly a wonderful show where you could have the Pontiac judged or display only.  A great reason too belong to the AACA, too

Gary there is going to be a weekend prewar touring event out your way south of London next year by ACCCC. All clubs are welcome to a Vintage Touring Group event. They are having 4 events again next year arranged at last weekends meeting in Peterbouro. Counting the AACA  Vintage tour in Kingston next year makes five vintage events in southern Ont.

Thanks for the heads up concerning pre war events in Ontario, I seem to be out of the loop.  There is no HASC in my town though I perhaps should join the local A4C's which has a chapter here.  I am in a local unaffiliated club but they do not do much anymore with pre war cars.  Maybe I should join your region of the AACA just to get the newsletter.

Bev and I are looking forward to the Vintage Tour this summer and if you can find a job for us we are willing to help out.

Thanks, Gary

Joe, when your computer is back up and running, can you send me details on all the events you have going on in Ontario? My wife is from Toronto and we'd love to do some tours back up in her area. Good chance to meet new people and see some different cars and different places. We'd love to be there.

Thanks!

The Southern Ontario Regional Group of HCCA is sponsoring a pre-'16 tour from Kingston, ON July 21-26.  That group and the North Jersey Regional Group have a long-standing affinity, and have one joint tour a year.  This year it's in Canada.  If you want to see brass-era cars in Ontario, that's the place to be.  I don't know what the schedule of events is, but the Canadians often have a show for part of one day.  I will have been to the Model T Ford Club International's tour in Prince Edward Island the prior week with my Model T, and will trailer directly from there to Kingston.  My trailer is long enough for two cars; I'll probably bring something to Kingston along with the T, and alternate the cars on alternate days.  I haven't yet decided what the second car will be; probably a one-lung Cadillac (southern Ontario touring is benign for slow cars) or a small Stanley (which I bought in Ontario and would be taking back for a visit).

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ