1940 Resto Rod Buick Special Tourning Sedan

One year the Great American Race ended in LA and 6 us us jumped in a stock 40 Buick 4 door and took off down the Freeway for a fine steak dinner.  I was impressed that it was no problem in LA traffic and stayed up with the over the speed limit traffic.  The car was driven by Zane Shubert who had just completed 4200 miles in a stock 1935 Buick Coupe.

Made me think I should have kept the straight 8 in my 35 Buick instead of the Buick V8 I used.

Buick@Parkers.thumb.jpg.5fb733cff09fa375474b7133f018e654.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Interesting but is this the proper forum for a resto rod?

I am not against restro rods,(I have a few of my own)

I think that the finished project would look nice in this forum but the build could be better viewed and appreciated in the HAMB forum.

• Like 1

This has been the conundrum facing every car club, how does one expand or maintain interest in specialty cars or in this forum's case, the vintage vehicle. I call a truce.

I think the Buick Club of America (BCA) has done well to recognize modified cars. In fact there is a part of their forum that showcases these discussions: http://forums.aaca.org/forum/13-buick-modified/.  His postings might be better suited there, but I'm glad he has stepped forward to show us his car.  Their national meets include modified cars as a category and dedicated parking.

I also have a 1940 model Buick and his work on his car has led my efforts with considerable benefit, as I firmly believe his efforts have helped others in the vintage vehicle market/hobby.   There is much commonality in the work of restoring or modifying these old cars.  The manufacturer that reproduces parts such as plastic knobs, brake parts, engine parts and sheet metal for the modified car suites the needs of the authentic restorer.  The chrome shop that takes a good percentage of business from discerning creators of modified cars is the same chrome shop that I want to do business with and that wouldn't possible exist if he just had my business.  The advice on sources and techniques, plus the encouragement to complete the long arduous tasks required for our vehicles is important for sustaining our hobby if not growing it.  Further, guys like this have donated or made available parts removed from their cars that they will not be using for use on the authentic restorations.  On another note he is similar to a guy I know up north in one of those "M" states that buys cars that are in good restorable condition and parts them out, tossing the body at the end of the process.  Many of us have desperately called this guy for parts.  If it weren't for this "M" state guy, many of these older cars would languish in deterioration in a barn where no one could know of their existence and others of us would be without valuable and needed parts.

I hope that when Gary drives his car down the road one day, some young kid sees it and wishes one for himself or some older guy/gal looks at it and fondly remembers when there were more of them on the road.  Good luck Gary, please keep posting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I like this thread, and as Kgreen pointed out in his post above, the techniques/skills involved in modification are often the same as those used in restoration.  I'm sure that I'll learn something from this thread, and to quote the Faber College motto: "Knowledge Is Good".

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

guys like this have donated or made available parts removed from their cars that they will not be using for use on the authentic restorations.

Also, remember that in addition to original parts availability, these guys often show us how to make hidden modifications to our original cars for better safety.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

We will have to disagree. I have no problem with what he is doing but I still feel it does not belong on an an AACA forum. There are plenty of forums for modified cars.  If it wouldn't be allowed at an AACA National Meet it shouldn't be on these forums,  in my humble opinion.

I agree, why post here where people who like STOCK cars navigate.

Also, Oh please, please modifiers if you are trying to make your Buick ( in this case ) a modified car please use a BUICK engine. There is nothing worse than making a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick or Cadillac into a Chevrolet!

Remember like we were taught by G.M. and our folks, the ENGINE is the brand!  

Tom,   RUINED is a pretty strong word.  Other than stock maybe but not ruined.  Would the same ruined term apply to a antique car painted with modern base coat clear coat paint or seat belts?

I think this 1940 Buick will show well and should be welcome on any show field in a class like HPOF called "Modified Antique".  With the hood closed it will still look like a 1940 Buick to 99.9%.  Remember HPOF and Un-restored Barn Finds are among the most popular vehicles classes

on the show field.  We can't all agree on vanilla, that's why Baskins Robbins has 31 flavors, but it"s all ice cream!

/

image.png

Edited by Paul Dobbin
tried to get rid of screen shit in the image section (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I agree, why post here where people who like STOCK cars navigate.

Also, Oh please, please modifiers if you are trying to make your Buick ( in this case ) a modified car please use a BUICK engine. There is nothing worse than making a Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick or Cadillac into a Chevrolet!

Remember like we were taught by G.M. and our folks, the ENGINE is the brand!  

After the Straight 8 all Buick V8 sucked. Over weight under powered. Why GM uses Chevy in all their cars today.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Best said:

After the Straight 8 all Buick V8 sucked. Over weight under powered. Why GM uses Chevy in all their cars today.

Hoo hoo I dont think you realize the size of the can of woopass you just opened on yourself there son. Specially around here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gary Best said:

Actually G.M. doesn't use a SBC today. I see your build and I will tell you I can take a 1970 Stage one stock 455 Buick stock with 510ft.lbs. of torque in exactly the same 1940 Buick Special Touring sedan and blow your car in the weeds. The point about the SBC is, when every or nearly every G.M. car was built with a SBC was because they were CHEAP to build and that is why most hot rod guys use them too. If you don't believe me ask them, but you're smart enough to know that already. Do you remember the lawsuits against G.M. from loyal Oldsmobile owners who found SBC in their cars with Rocket V-8 decals on the air cleaners? The Engine defines the brand and loyal BOP and Cadillac owners know this. 

The real point here is your car won't be a 1940 Buick Special sedan anymore. Take it to a Buick show, as soon as you raise the hood you'll hear the news.

I'm sure you know all about Buick's 1941 Compound carburetion, If you took your 1940 straight eight and installed compound carburetion and showed a person who was really into Buicks you might get almost the same reaction as installing a SBC. The reason is "the car didn't come that way" !

Also a respected member of this club once recently said on another thread and the point really is;

You might try the HAMB site as their forum members are more versed on the type of car you are building.  Good luck, please consider a stock vehicle some time!  You are missing another great part of the hobby. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Actually G.M. doesn't use a SBC today. I see your build and I will tell you I can take a 1970 Stage one stock 455 Buick stock with 510ft.lbs. of torque in exactly the same 1940 Buick Special Touring sedan and blow your car in the weeds. The point about the SBC is, when every or nearly every G.M. car was built with a SBC was because they were CHEAP to build and that is why most hot rod guys use them too. If you don't believe me ask them, but you're smart enough to know that already. Do you remember the lawsuits against G.M. from loyal Oldsmobile owners who found SBC in their cars with Rocket V-8 decals on the air cleaners? The Engine defines the brand and loyal BOP and Cadillac owners know this. 

The real point here is your car won't be a 1940 Buick Special sedan anymore. Take it to a Buick show, as soon as you raise the hood you'll hear the news.

I'm sure you know all about Buick's 1941 Compound carburetion, If you took your 1940 straight eight and installed compound carburetion and showed a person who was really into Buicks you might get almost the same reaction as installing a SBC. The reason is "the car didn't come that way" !

Also a respected member of this club once recently said on another thread and the point really is;

You might try the HAMB site as their forum members are more versed on the type of car you are building.  Good luck, please consider a stock vehicle some time!  You are missing another great part of the hobby. 

455 Buick were torgue monsters for sure , but ran out of steam about 5000 RPM. Also damn hard to pull into a GM garage these days and get work done on a Buick 455. I'm building this car to tour route 66 and other parts of the US. Plan on 50-70,000 miles on her over next 4 years, so must be reliable and very repairable if needed. I do not build cars to drive 10 miles to a show or ride on a trailer. My 66 Chevelle 427 SS has crossed the US 5 times with only replacing one fan belt and one starter ,well over 50,000 miles and still going strong. I build to drive while looking good. Yes I did have a stock 67 Olds 442 that I bought new , it was stock for about 2 hours :).

I enjoy pre-war Buicks for their style and design , why my 40 will look as stock as possible. But to drive one today on long touring trips is a no go. I did play with the idea of a 53 straight 8 for this car , but hard to find 65 year old blocks that will do what I need. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gary Best said:

455 Buick were torgue monsters for sure , but ran out of steam about 5000 RPM. Also damn hard to pull into a GM garage these days and get work done on a Buick 455. I'm building this car to tour route 66 and other parts of the US. Plan on 50-70,000 miles on her over next 4 years, so must be reliable and very repairable if needed. I do not build cars to drive 10 miles to a show or ride on a trailer. My 66 Chevelle 427 SS has crossed the US 5 times with only replacing one fan belt and one starter ,well over 50,000 miles and still going strong. I build to drive while looking good. Yes I did have a stock 67 Olds 442 that I bought new , it was stock for about 2 hours :).

I enjoy pre-war Buicks for their style and design , why my 40 will look as stock as possible. But to drive one today on long touring trips is a no go. I did play with the idea of a 53 straight 8 for this car , but hard to find 65 year old blocks that will do what I need. 

Enjoy your Chevy

What's he supposed to put in it, a 3.6L V6?

At the very least, I see your thread has been moved to the Buick Modified section. Got any close ups of your trailing arm rear end? Where did you mount it to the x-frame? etc.

Any reason you picked the 700R4 over the 200R4 or a 4L60E? I see you're also running carbureted, was FI too spendy or complicated?

Nice fab and body work! Will be following.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gary Best said:

Well, sheee, Gary, and just when a lot of us were defending your project!   Sucked?  :(

Actually , Ben, a V6 would not be bad. Remember the Grand Nationals?    I understand the allure of the SBC.  Size and availability.  I would have used a Buick of some kind. But his car.  

I will be following, Gary.  Also interested in the rear end mods.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't move my posting , so I guess the Pure Buick Gods did :). I didn't mean to offend any one about the Buick V8's. Buick made damn good engines for what they needed for their cars. High torque, low RPM power to move a big heavy car. Strong reliable engine , but heavy , drink gas like it was free and last one made almost 40 years ago. I would have loved to use a nailhead but the last nailhead was built over 50 years ago. I only had two choices a SBC or a LS motor for what I wanted the car to do. 

A Buick 3.8 V6 would be cool in a T Bucket :). 

If you look close at my engine you will see no fuel system yet, going with a MSD Fuel Injection . Using a 700R  because it what I had built and left over from another project , others would have been good also.

Rear end is a new 12 bolt grafted to the stock 40 Buick spring perches with custom built trailing arms . Used johnny joints to attach to frame  but Ford Super Duty  tie rod end work well also. Using stock 40 rear springs but Eaton -2in .

I enjoy the pure stock pre-war Buicks but not for cross country touring. Also it's a Series 40 and not a rare model at all.

I know and did receive questions on the way the joints are positioned on the frame. I thought they were wrong also , but these are not bushing but more like ball joints. Very strong and allow full travel. They are mounted right :) . 

Click here for more information about Currie Enterprises CE-9110P-26 - Currie Johnny Joint Rod Ends 

Currie Enterprises CE-9110P-26 - Currie Johnny Joint Rod Ends

Click here for more information about Currie Enterprises CE-9110P-26 - Currie Johnny Joint Rod Ends

Johnny Joints contect.jpg

WP_20180110_13_09_58_Pro.jpg

Edited by Gary Best
update info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don't mind us old farts, Gary.  And I don't suppose you pay attention to the negative nellies any way.  

I have a "massaged" 263 in my 1950.  But then I am one of those who think even the "nailhead" is not a REAL Buick.:P.

It cruises all day at 70+ if I will let it. Just did a round trip to Denver recently, averaging  21+mpg.  TBI, HEI,  only way to go, in my opinion.

My 1st Buick was a 1940 Special like yours. It was only 13 years old then. 

I will be following you. So please stay with us.

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Don't mind us old farts, Gary.  And I don't suppose you pay attention to the negative nellies any way.  

I have a "massaged" 263 in my 1950.  But then I am one of those who think even the "nailhead" is not a REAL Buick.:P.

It cruises all day at 70+ if I will let it. Just did a round trip to Denver recently, averaging  21+mpg.  TBI, HEI,  only way to go, in my opinion.

My 1st Buick was a 1940 Special like yours. It was only 13 years old then. 

I will be following you. So please stay with us.

Ben

:)  On one of my Hot Rod Power Tours there was 2 guys with a 53 Buick 320 straight 8 that they tubro'ed and ran straight exhaust . It's was loud and fast. Think it made the whole trip. 

• Like 1

Don't know about using a 3.8L V6, but the new Cadillac 3.6 is twin turbo and the Buick GS 3.6 is single turbo, both phenomenal engines. I wouldn't mind playing with them under the hood tbh. They say the modern V6 is the new V8 and GM's DOHC V6 is the hot ticket. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gary Best said:

:)  On one of my Hot Rod Power Tours there was 2 guys with a 53 Buick 320 straight 8 that they tubro'ed and ran straight exhaust . It's was loud and fast. Think it made the whole trip. 

'53 Buick 320 straight. I wanna see that!   Have pictures?

Ben

• Haha 2