RARE 1946-1947 Clinton Engine for a doodle bug

Karen Toomey

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Maytag washing machine engine???.....

Bob

No, it is a Doodlebug engine. I think you may be underpricing this engine. Most Doodlebugs had Briggs and Stratton engines. The Clintons are pretty rare. I'd put it on eBay with a $150 reserve. You may be surprised at what it sells for

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

I always thought a doodle bug was a home made tractor, often fashionied from a model A or like car. The doodlebug was used to actually pull farm equiptment and do actual work.  I can remember a neighbor that made and used one right after WWII. I cant imagine that engine doing more than powering a lite putt putt type vehicle.......bob

17 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I always thought a doodle bug was a home made tractor, often fashionied from a model A or like car.

That's what we call them around here, but I know about the scooters too.

I parted out a Buick doodlebug a year or so ago and the parts are, literally, all over the world now.

007.thumb.JPG.f9c5e2d4261b6c69ed9b609e44495912.JPG

Though the name, doodlebug may have been applied to any number of contraptions, Doodlebug, with a capital "D" was a name brand motor scooter, built by Beam Inc. and sold through Western Auto and Gamble's.  Doodlebug was, ctually, a model nams. Gamble's sold them as Hiawatha's, Western Auto Called them Western Flyers. They were supposed to compete with Cushman, but the smallest, least powerful Cushman would run circles around them

Though the name, doodlebug may have been applied to any number of contraptions, Doodlebug, with a capital "D" was a name brand motor scooter, built by Beam Inc. and sold through Western Auto and Gamble's.  Doodlebug was, ctually, a model nams. Gamble's sold them as Hiawatha's, Western Auto Called them Western Flyers. They were supposed to compete with Cushman, but the smallest, least powerful Cushman would run circles around them

2 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

And so explains the confusion in name and application. Thanks, Carl.......bob