1967 Buick tires

jimriviera

I have the Automobile Manufacturers Association (AMA) Specifications publication issued 9/1/66 which lists the only tire size available as 8.85-15 bias ply.  I have the revised 

specifications dated 12-15-66 which shows 225R-15 radials available.  My question is -- will the AACA judges accept this revised specifications document when judging my 1967 Riviera with radial tires?

http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/1968-riviera-original-tire-info-needed.98024/

This tread indicates that radials (225Rx15) were an option in 1967.  You will need to find the documentation from Buick that this was an option.  Current judges training states that a P225Rx15 is not the same as a 225Rx15.  You may have an uphill battle on this one.  If you have P225Rx15's on you car have all the documentation you can find.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the tech bulletins from Buick which show the availability effective January 31, 1967. This Information is courtesy of Tom Mooney, ROA Technical Advisor.   The question was posted on the ROA forum whether AACA judging would require a particular brand of tire, ie. a brand available in 67.  What say you?

Riviera tires 3.jpg

Riviera Tires 4.jpg

Edited by jimriviera
needed to credit ROA advisor for the documents. (see edit history)

Now you have the documentation.  You can run a 225R X 15.  To avoid a deduction, this is not a P225R75 x 15.  Diamond Back Tires offers a correct 225R X 15 they have made for the Lincoln Mark III.  Others may offer this as well. This includes the spare, which should match in size.  Brand is not important.

Edited by 61polara
Additional information (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

OK.   Does that mean that the AACA judges will deduct points fro P225R75x15 tires?  If so, what is the point deduction?  Yes Diamond Back Tires has the 225R-15 tires but they are over $200.  Also only available by mail-order.  It is difficult to believe that the judging is that particular on this item.  

23 hours ago, jimriviera said:

OK.   Does that mean that the AACA judges will deduct points fro P225R75x15 tires?  If so, what is the point deduction?  Yes Diamond Back Tires has the 225R-15 tires but they are over $200.  Also only available by mail-order.  It is difficult to believe that the judging is that particular on this item.  

jimriviera,

Here is what the Guidelines say in relation to your question.  61polara was referring to these guidelines for Chassis.

This morning, I had time to check online with my local discount tire store and they have several brands ("Specific brand is unimportant.") available for less.  Just make sure they follow your factory documentation. 

From Judging Guidelines, under Chassis, pages 2-23 and 2-24: (Highlighted text is mine in relation to your question.)

"11. Tires on all vehicles must be as specified by the manufacturer. Specific brand is unimportant.Some manufacturers offered a radial tire - for  specific vehicle(s) - as a factory authorized option to the standard issue ply tire.  The use of red line radials on a vehicle should be accompanied with documentation.  It is advisable to seek documentation from the vehicle owner when a tire size or type is in question.  This is especially so in cases of limited production, specialty vehicles, and foreign made vehicles.

a. LETTER SIZE tires, i.e. G78-15, GR78-14, etc 1967.

b. RADIALS, i.e. 185R14, 175R13, etc. Domestic Cars. (Factory documentation is required for any vehicle with radial tires prior to the years listed below.) Some domestic manufacturers offered these tires as early as 1967, such as Buick and Oldsmobile. It is possible that others may have offered them as well. BEFORE taking any deductions, the Team Captain will ask the owner for documentation. (Note: European built vehicles can be much earlier) (Japanese vehicles 1967, possibly earlier).

c. LOW PROFILE METRIC RADIALS, i.e. P195/70R13, P195/70VR14 Domestic Cars as early as 1979. European cars 1969*, Japanese cars 1975* *Also refer to above Note when judging foreign made vehicles." 

At least you have options.  I have a 1970 car that came with F78-14 bias plys.  Radials were not an option.  The tire is available, but only with a 3" white wall.  The size would be correct but the white wall size would still be a deduction.

On 10/3/2018 at 9:11 PM, 61polara said:

At least you have options.  I have a 1970 car that came with F78-14 bias plys.  Radials were not an option.  The tire is available, but only with a 3" white wall.  The size would be correct but the white wall size would still be a deduction.

from 2-22

"Owners not able to find a correct replacement tire should send a letter to the VP Judging indicating the specific size of the correct tire and that at least two tire manufacturers have been contacted and the correct tire is not available. Tires one size larger or smaller are acceptable. A letter from the VP Judging is the ONLY AACA ACCEPTED documentation regarding a vehicles' substitute tires. Any letter issued by the VP Judging should be shown to the Team Captain at the time of vehicle judging."