Weatherstrip Help Needed

Riviera63

I have been trying for 6 weeks now to get weatherstrip for and/or installed around the doors on my car. A frustrating ordeal that started out as a simple afternoon project on a nice summer day.  I am asking for a favor from one of you with a 63-65 Riviera. I need a picture of the original or correct replacement metal loop/tab that is attached 4 or 5 inches down from the top of the door please. See pic. Mine old ones are long gone and were a replacement set so I don't know if they were the same as the originals. I am in contact with one of the weatherstrip manufacturers that is not believing their product is not complete and not correct. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_4605.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

Could anyone at least describe what that attaching tab is supposed to look like for me please? Here is what was on the set I received today. There was no pin supplied to attach with and no directions given with the set as to how to attach. See pics. I reached out to the vendor that I purchased them from and they said I was supposed to use a sheet metal screw. to attach with. The set I removed had a wire loop/tab that was held in place by a black pin like the ones that hold the end above it in. I also reached out to the manufacturer and the manufacturer said that no one has asked about this tab, questioned it and how it should be attached EVER. They were perplexed and said they would get back to me. They got back to me and said that they were sending me some longer pins that should work to attach it with. The normal size pins are too short. Any help appreciated as to what was on an original set. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4609.JPG

IMG_4614.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

Hi Bill,

i did mine the other week and had the same issue. The original is held with a hard plastic push in pin that goes over a wire loop just like you found.

I ended up cutting the thick fixing point that juts out to about 1.5 - 2.0mm thick then used one of the old pins.

If you keep it at the thickness supplied it fouls the door. I first tried a Phillips head screw and only succeeded in scratching all the door surround. Boy did my installer get a talking too. ??????

Unfortunately it enlarged the hole so now I need a thicker pin on that side.

Drivers side went really well after I learnt how to do it correctly on the passenger side. I’m a big believer in working on someone else’s car first before you do your own, that way if you stuff it up, doesn’t matter!?????

if you you need pics let me know.

Rodney0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Bill,

i did mine the other week and had the same issue. The original is held with a hard plastic push in pin that goes over a wire loop just like you found.

I ended up cutting the thick fixing point that juts out to about 1.5 - 2.0mm thick then used one of the old pins.

If you keep it at the thickness supplied it fouls the door. I first tried a Phillips head screw and only succeeded in scratching all the door surround. Boy did my installer get a talking too. ??????

Unfortunately it enlarged the hole so now I need a thicker pin on that side.

Drivers side went really well after I learnt how to do it correctly on the passenger side. I’m a big believer in working on someone else’s car first before you do your own, that way if you stuff it up, doesn’t matter!?????

if you you need pics let me know.

Rodney0

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for replying. What you came up with for a fix came to me in the middle of the night. I did have the concern that being that thick it would bind in the door and that a screw might scratch. The vendor did mention that there was a metal tab in that thick attaching point, so cutting it down won't compromise its strength or holding power. I'm sorry that you had damage done to your car.

At least I can finally get this simple project that was begun 6 weeks ago finished. I originally had ordered a set from CARS. I had the old weatherstrip out and the door cleaned and ready for the new pieces. I pulled them out and found that they had been manufactured incorrectly. The pins were in the reverse order of what they should have been. See pics. I contacted them and they said they would send a new set. They must have had a bad batch from their manufacturer as they did not have a good set to send me. I waited 5 weeks for them to get some in and finally cancelled the order and got my money back. I then ordered a set from Rubber the Right Way. Several days after I ordered I received a message that they were on back order. I called them and they said 2-3 weeks before they would be in. I cancelled that order and got my money back. I then ordered the current set from a vendor on e-bay. The current set I have is from Metro which coincidentally is the supplier for Rubber the Right Way. (for about $30 more than I paid from this other vendor) For people that order a Metro set this is what you will have to deal with.

Send me a couple of pics if you get a chance. 

Thanks,

Bill

IMG_4372.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
add pictures edit text (see edit history)

I am contemplating sending the Metro weatherstrip back as their is no metal tab inside the thick rubber tab as the vendor said there was.  I was checking to see other alternatives. I know that I can get them from Steele Rubber but, wanted to see if there were any others. Just for the heck of it I went to the OPGI (I know, I know) website to look at their weatherstrip and got a little surprise. They advertise that their weatherstrip is made by Metro Moulded Parts, Inc. The weatherstrip they have pictured has the metal tabs as I think they should have. See pic. I find it curious that there would be 2 different Metro versions out there. I would have been happy with that version. I reached out to Metro asking about this and will be curious to see their response.

Bill

Metro Weatherstrip OPGI.jpg

metro-moulded-parts.png

9 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

I got mine from Steele and they fit fine.  Don't recall any issues when I put them on a few years back.

Thanks for that. Did they have the metal tabs? I never have had any problems with any Steele Products I have ordered. They are priced so much higher than the others which scared me away at first but, it looks as if I should have just gone with them in the beginning and skipped all of the headaches.

I called Clark's Corvair about their weatherstrip. The person I talked to had no clue as to who made theirs and whether they had the metal clips. Has anyone tried their weatherstrip?

Bill

58 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Thanks for that. Did they have the metal tabs? I never have had any problems with any Steele Products I have ordered. They are priced so much higher than the others which scared me away at first but, it looks as if I should have just gone with them in the beginning and skipped all of the headaches.

I called Clark's Corvair about their weatherstrip. The person I talked to had no clue as to who made theirs and whether they had the metal clips. Has anyone tried their weatherstrip?

Bill

Don't recall if they had metal tabs or not.  Need to look this evening when I get home.

I bought my door, window run, and trunk rubber from CARS a couple years back, and had no issues. My door pieces had the correct metal tabs held on with a plastic pushpin. CARS may have changed suppliers.

7 minutes ago, jframe said:

I bought my door, window run, and trunk rubber from CARS a couple years back, and had no issues. My door pieces had the correct metal tabs held on with a plastic pushpin. CARS may have changed suppliers.

I had CARS weatherstrip originally. They were fine but, manufactured backwards. They were unable to supply me with correct replacements. After several weeks of waiting I had to cancel and move on. I finally just bit the bullet and ordered a set from Steele Rubber. Hopefully, they will be here in a couple of days and I can get this project finished.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Though I consider myself devastatingly good-looking with a snappy wit (though not sure my wife agrees) I only consider myself at best modestly mechanically inclined.  How difficult is it replace all the weatherstripping by oneself (I do know that is technically not mechanical)?  Was thinking it could be a good team building exercise for my wife and I during the fall or winter.  Thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!

If my wife is sitting at the kitchen table and I am shaking Wheaties into a bowl and adding blueberries I feel like that scared dog you can save for $19 per month. I am sure she would quickly point out an imminent error in weather strip installation as well. You could try enlisting help at home.

In that vein, the thought came to me that when a woman retires she should be presented with a rolled up newspaper.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

In that vein, the thought came to me that when a woman retires she should be presented with a rolled up newspaper.

Correction:

"In that vein, the thought came to me that when a woman's husband retires she should be presented with a rolled up newspaper."

1 hour ago, TheTaxMan said:

So I think we’ve confirmed that a team project might not be the best idea. I go back to the original question of whether I should be able to complete it on my own. Sounds like the felts can be a pain.

Yes, you should.

8 hours ago, TheTaxMan said:

and more handy than me in her mind)........

There is an easy way to verify that. How many times does she start a sentence with "So"? Mine is catching herself now but has not become comfortable with "I challenge you", "In my opinion", or any of the options I have suggested.

I remember my daughter visiting a few years ago and repeatedly responding with "Yeah, yeah, yeah". I asked her if there was someone at work that she had high regard for who answered "Yeah, yeah, yeah". She doesn't do that anymore. What those nuances and you can guide them into being a good working partner. Just don't tax her.

Your wife and kids have it easy.  Try being married to a teacher of English.  Notice that I did not say an English teacher; she's from Nebraska, not England.  An English teacher, one born in England, could teach any subject.

• Haha 2