Simnut

Help to identify the car I just received

Recommended Posts

Plenty of literature on ebay.  Here,s a  pic of a 23-41 in a show room or motor show.  and this reference book shows all the models for 23

zad9042.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this info and pictures like that showroom, I get this weird and wonderful feeling that someday in the very near future I'll be able to show off automobile history and be a part of it now.  Actually, you should see how many of my friends want to stop by and see her now!  Many on this forum have "warned" me about this , how these old cars grow on you but it's not a bad thing.  Without people like you, many cars would have ended up who knows where,  instead of still being around, being used...shown off.   In five years time, the car I just got is going to be 100 years old !  I'm still shaking my head LOL 

 

  I'm lucky that this car is in the shape it is for a first timer like me.  I can only imagine what some of you went through to get your  cars to where they are now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial game plan is to start to disassemble the car and take inventory of all the parts, take tons of pictures and start to refurbish as she goes back together.  I would like all parts to be in good working order mechanically speaking and then redo the interior.  I know this is a general statement but would this be a realistic and proper way to go with it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simnut said:

My initial game plan is to start to disassemble the car and take inventory of all the parts, take tons of pictures and start to refurbish as she goes back together.  I would like all parts to be in good working order mechanically speaking and then redo the interior.  I know this is a general statement but would this be a realistic and proper way to go with it? 

Please consider carefully what you want to end up with, both short term and long term. 

1. Option 1: Complete disassembly means a years-long full restoration and life often--too often-- gets in the way, resulting in a stalled project being sold for pennies on the dollar.

2. Option 2:  Mechanical refurbishment of individual systems in priority (brakes, steering at the top), get it running and charging well.  One system at a time so that the car can be put back together quickly.  A car that is running will get your attention for 2 hours after dinner and half days on weekends, whereas we tend to wait for 2 weeks vacation to work on something totally disassembled.  When it's safe to drive, DRIVE IT to whet your enthusiasm for the car! 

Option 2A:  If you want, at least short term, to have a Driver Survivor, don't put shiny new paint on repaired or refurbished components.  There are tricks such as flattening agents for paint to make a component look like it has aged naturally and has not been touched, yet provide protection against rust.  In this sub-option, just "take the curse off of it."

Option 2B:  If you want to do a "rolling (full) restoration/refurbishment," paint and detail each component as you finish it.

NOTE:  Once you've departed from the naturally-aged look, there is no going back.  If you chose 2A, you can, down the road, do the cosmetics later.

 

I'm sure others will come up with more options or permutations of these.

Edited by Grimy
correct typos (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Please consider carefully what you want to end up with, both short term and long term. 

1. Option 1: Complete disassembly means a years-long full restoration and life often--too often-- gets in the way, resulting in a stalled project being sold for pennies on the dollar.

2. Option 2:  Mechanical refurbishment of individual systems in priority (brakes, steering at the top), get it running and charging well.  One system at a time so that the car can be put back together quickly.  A car that is running will get your attention for 2 hours after dinner and half days on weekends, whereas we tend to wait for 2 weeks vacation to work on something totally disassembled.  When it's safe to drive, DRIVE IT to whet your enthusiasm for the car! 

Option 2A:  If you want, at least short term, to have a Driver Survivor, don't put shiny new paint on repaired or refurbished components.  There are tricks such as flattening agents for paint to make a component look like it has aged naturally and has not been touched, yet provide protection against rust.  In this sub-option, just "take the curse off of it."

Option 2B:  If you want to do a "rolling (full) restoration/refurbishment," paint and detail each component as you finish it.

NOTE:  Once you've departed from the naturally-aged look, there is no going back.  If you chose 2A, you can, down the road, do the cosmetics later.

 

If sure others will come up withy more options or permutations of these.

 

 I'm thinking in the range of option 2 or 2A.  Would love for it to look as it did when it was 20 years old or so.  In that I mean a driver with the look of wear and tear.  The option of making all the mechanics sound and reliable makes sense.  Do one system at a time.  I am semi retired (have a 26hp Kioti that I do work with for other people) and looked for something to keep my mind and body busy.  I would like to get the artillery wheels back to their original color.....and perhaps the body.   The interior will need some work...but I'm so looking forward to that part.  Actually, I'm so looking forward to getting to know this car in all aspects! 

 

Thanks for the input Grimy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   It looks like it is a model 41 I guess the body is a little shorter to make room for the trunk platform .

 

  Also the 23 6 cyl use an alum cam gear and the reverse shift pattern.

 

It is a good looking car, you will enjoy driving it.

 

 

John,

22-6-55 Sport touring

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simnut:

 I was doing my 1925-25 in a (2) mode. Unfortunately the engine was too tired to be rejuvenated. So with the engine out for a rebuild I started sliding down the slippery slope of "well while the engine is out I will repaint the front end. Since I did this I might as well have some platting done"......
 I still vote for a #2. One frustration on my 1925 was that I could not drive it more than a mile or 2 without severe overheating. Once I took care of that (new radiator core) we finally began enjoying the drive!

 I wish I could find the posting of the one for sale several years ago. Many good color photos. It surprised me to see that you have a nickeled radiator shell. These model 41s had the black baked enamel radiator shells as well as the fenders, splash aprons, mud pan etc. Any thing that could be removed to go through an oven. The lower body is to be maroon with black above the belt molding surrounding the windows. Again, a great photo on page 181 color portfolio of "The Buick A complete history" 6th edition 2002.

 This is a McLaughlin Buick coupe but shows the correct color arrangement with the black radiator shell with the thin aluminum bead around the radiator opening.

 851046701_5657660635_2270d7dd47_z1.jpg.e20737e2d871933584d31cb690a9faf4.jpg

A better view of the color on the Model 55 Sport Touring.  My all time favorite Buick!

278676819_180940_Front_3-4_Web1.thumb.jpg.16512e9f7da875c714e6b71f46bcb542.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks John!  I'm looking forward to regularly driving it around town...in the dryer, warmer months though lol

 

  I love the color of those cars Larry!  I think we will start from the wheels, then the hubs, the axles, the rear end right on through to the transmission and engine.   Then the interior.  Not much wood work required but upholstery is a definite job to be done.  Sound like that will work, the right methodology to getting her back on the road?  By we I mean my son and I.  He is taking a REAL liking to this car!  This is gonna be awesome!

 

Is there any way to find out how many of these vehicles are still around?  That may sway the amount of work I should do to it..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to this very welcoming site.  My car now living in Summerland BC started life in Alberta as well. Is yours a McLaughlin Buick? I located it south of Hussar and took about 7 years to restore it starting in 1977.  You have an excellent vehicle to start with.  Here is a picture of mine as I found it.  Have fun with it.  Leon

mclaughlininfield2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, garnetkid said:

welcome to this very welcoming site.  My car now living in Summerland BC started life in Alberta as well. Is yours a McLaughlin Buick? I located it south of Hussar and took about 7 years to restore it starting in 1977.  You have an excellent vehicle to start with.  Here is a picture of mine as I found it.  Have fun with it.  Leon

mclaughlininfield2.jpg

 

I am quite sure it a model made in the US, going by the frame and engine numbers.  Summerland is a beautiful area by the way!!  And boy, did you have a project eh?  Could you post a finished pic of her?  Right now I'm trying to see if the 1923 license plate that I found in the car belongs to this car and is it's first plate.  May be a very good starting point to find it's history.  I think this is a good start for my foray into the antique automobiles!!!  And yes sir, I fully intend to have fun with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, here in Alberta all the old registration records are not accessible prior to when they switched over to a computerized system in the 1980's.

 Great car you have there. I agree with the fix-while-you-go method. To quote the phrase many of the experienced folks use. "Make it stop, make it go and then make it pretty".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rare car.

 

Yours is only the 3rd or 4th one I have seen in 22 years of my Model 45 1923 ownership.

 

Check all your glass.  First thing I changed was to remove all the plate glass and replace with safety glass.  A must.

 

Another 1923 single year (6 cylinder) feature is the 3 small doors on the valve cover for oiling the rockers.  I see you have those.

 

As mentioned your vehicle had a larger volume fuel tank and side fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the gas tank has been replaced. With a factory trunk the gas filler should be outside of the right frame rail .The trunk sits

on a wood platform .

 It should be a 22 gal tank like the models 54 and 55 use, and the gauge should  say 22 gal

  When  I get home I can post a copy of the parts book page.

 

John

22-6-55 Sport touring

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 4Hud said:

As far as I know, here in Alberta all the old registration records are not accessible prior to when they switched over to a computerized system in the 1980's.

 Great car you have there. I agree with the fix-while-you-go method. To quote the phrase many of the experienced folks use. "Make it stop, make it go and then make it pretty".

 

  Love that last line sir!  Will be my motto!

 

I just got an email back this morning from a historian I know in Red Deer , Alberta and he mentioned I may be able to get a list of people to whom license plates were issued through the Provincial Archives in Edmonton.  He will help and do what he can as this may very well have been an Albertan car in it's first year.  Here's hoping!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian_Heil said:

Rare car.

 

Yours is only the 3rd or 4th one I have seen in 22 years of my Model 45 1923 ownership.

 

Check all your glass.  First thing I changed was to remove all the plate glass and replace with safety glass.  A must.

 

Another 1923 single year (6 cylinder) feature is the 3 small doors on the valve cover for oiling the rockers.  I see you have those.

 

As mentioned your vehicle had a larger volume fuel tank and side fill.

 

  I am having trouble finding photos of this model in "real" life.  There is a couple videos on you tube showing my model, one running, the other not.  I checked the plate glass and it is already tempered or safety glass.  Cool thing is, all the side windows work......roll down with the original mechanisms.  I would like to find interior shots of the upholstery and how it looked back in the day.  I will take a picture of what I believe to be the original fabric I found yesterday nailed to one of the doors.  A dusty rose color. 

 

I agree Brian, I will have to find, buy or trade for the larger tank soon.  May as well start with that eh? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harry, 

    This is the advice that I was given from Larry DiBarry when I first made contacts in trying to put together my 1925 Buick.  I added a few items as I have gained knowledge of what it takes to put my car back together.  

 

Welcome to Buick ownership.  Here are some tips to get you started.

The following books are necessary for Pre war Buick Ownership.   They come based on 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder models prior to 1925, or for Standard or Master 1925 and up.  The Buick Heritage Alliance sells these.  The quality of the copies is only “fair” in many cases.  This may work for some people, depending on how many pieces your car is missing.  I suggest buying an original book if you can find it due to the better print quality.   

1)      The “Book of Parts” for your year.  

2)      The “Shop Manual” for your year

3)      The “reference book” (of lesser importance if you can find a shop manual).

It is helpful in many cases to obtain copies of the parts books for 1 or 2 years before and after your model year.  Many times there is additional information or photos that will help with your understanding.

Note: Only a handful of parts used on a 4 cylinder model fit a 6 cylinder model.  Same with so few Standard parts will fit a Master.  The 4 cylinder line became the Standard, and the 6 cylinder line became the Master so there is interchangeability in that order.       

There is also available a big book of parts “Buick Master Parts List 1916-1932”.  This 3” thick book provides a listing of the years and models for each part.  You will have better luck finding a part knowing it’s year and model range rather than just looking for a single year.   This book does not have a lot of pictures and will not be a good substitute for the book of parts for your year, but I refer to this book frequently.

There are few exploded views of parts, so take a lot of photos and notes during disassembly. 

Hugh

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck on that tank.  Rare.

 

I'd do what someone said above.  Get it to run, then stop, then drive and check your safety items like the glass and tires etc..  Once you find how much fun it is to take on a ride you will keep chipping away at the things you need.

 

We are all here to help and we all started with something, often much less than what you have.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jbbuick22 said:

I can send you some pics and dimensions, it is the same shape as the one you have just longer.

 

 

John

22-6-55 Sport touring

 

A fuel tank?  Is the filler on the side as opposed to the middle? :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it!!!  Now I gotta go look at a '29 Essex. (Slap forehead)  What have I gotten into ........  :D   Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...