alsfarms

1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

Hello Bob,

What a nice nice refreshing picture of one of Locomobiles "best" and in a good setting.  It is nice to contemplate nicer things as we are all dealing with he spread and results of this Coronavirus, Covid-19.  Is this a family picture with history or a picture that you have acquired?

Al

No, that is an acquired photo, but all I would need to recreate would be a pair of suspenders and the right tree... 

• Like 1

Hello Bob,

When we get done with this current Coronavirus Pandemic and all the related issues, I, for one, will be watching for your modern re-creation of that nice vintage photograph you shared with us.  That may be a nice idea for many of we owners of Brass Era automobiles, to recreate a few of our more favorite early vintage photographs and post here, if relevant.

Al

Any idea why the hood would be open on this car? Were they cooking on the manifold? Or was the car overheating? Did Locomobiles overheat?

Hello Bob,

Thanks for posting this picture.  Does this old photograph have any writing or description on the back?  Making a guess, the background looks like hill or mountain country and appears to be arid?  So, my guess is that this picture could have been taken out west somewhere.  The road, the Locomobile is on, also appears to be well groomed.  I wonder what the short post is that shows behind the hood and the taller white post behind the back of the auto.  What are some other ideas on this nice "period" photograph posted by Bob?

Al

Hello 38 and 48 Locomobile owners and enthusiasts.  I am not real familiar with the later stuff and have a question of two.  Here they are.  Will a 1918 Model 38 jug mount up to a  1918 48 crankcase?  If not, how are they different?  How much of an overbore, beyond 4.5", is it safe to go on a 48 dual port jug?  Can you bore safely out to 3/16" over stock?  or just 1/8" over stock?

Al

Just looking through my old photos. Thought someone may like this one. Prices are where the license plate

goes. All around $11,000.  A few Pierces in the background.....

Johnny

• Like 1

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for posting this picture.  I would sure like to have been at that show/showroom and simply walked around.  I also notice that in the mid 1920's, which is likely when this picture was taken, it appears that Locomobile and Pierce-Arrow did use white wall tires!

Al

Yes, two sided whites. I have lots of earlier photos of various American automobiles when new, and many have two sided white walls.

• Like 1

Hello Later Locomobile 48 automobile owners.  I have a need for a serviceable dual port exhaust manifold from a late teens on Locomobile 48.  Look around in your loose parts and see if you can help me out.

Al

Here is a nice picture of a Locomobile 48 Gunboat Roadster.  How many of this style still exist?

Al

v0ABBYrXmcAAAABEgAQANjj4PiaZfFPrP1fISnuh

Posted (edited)

Here is a picture of a late series Locomobile Model 90, (1927), came just after the end of the Model 48.  It is a bit different than a 48 but very similar.  Check out the Hyman website for more information.

Al

https://images.prewarcar.com/pics/r2w-1200x800-caradverts/302778/302778-1590000318-7521294.jpg?_ga=2.117851465.1508730231.1593279048-3266996.1585585493

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What do you think of the price, $89,500? Seem light to me but I'm relatively new to this site.

• Like 1

Sold for $58k all in a few months ago at RM Arizona. $30k flip. 
I thought the RM price was a steal.

Market is soft for sure.

• Like 1

I was not sure  about the previous sale price the the RM sale in Az., that is quite a flip.  Nice car anyway you look at it.  This would be a nice heavy late series Locomobile and not many survive.  How good does this Model perform with the different engine?  Hugh, what is the unrestored car in your AVATAR picture?

Al  

Yes. I've had it about a year and it's my next (I hope) project. I've had a lot on my table the past few years and I am way behind on my projects. I'm attempting to make a deal with a local restoration shop and get them (I have a 24 Loco Limo and a 24 Loco parts car as well) to work with me and get them done right. So it's going to be quite a project once we start. I've got to inventory the spare parts that came in addition to the cars as well. I'm not sure how this damn virus is going to affect me getting involved in a major project away from home. I've been on this site for some time and appreciate what I've learned.

Edited by hugh9222 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How hard hit is the greater Houston area with the Covid-19?  We, here in the west are really just starting to get to the serious first wave.  For the last couple of weeks every day nearly sets a new fresh case record.  Keep out of the public as much as you can!  That should certainly keep you way from anyone that may be infected.

Al

Here is another nice 1920 Locomobile 48 Sportif that is going to the RM auction.  Does anyone know the history of this car?  This one looks very clean.

71938567-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=45

The chassis posted in the for sale section a couple of months ago has sold. It was a model 48 chassis and was listed at $58,000 I believe. Wonder what price it brought? I've seen some complete cars selling for around that recently. Does anybody have any feel for how many Locomobiles still exist, both in project and finished form?

On 7/24/2019 at 8:04 PM, alsfarms said:

Here is a couple of pictures of an old early 48 Locomobile, shared with me by a friend.  From the looks of it probably a 1914, enjoy.

Al

Picture 1

GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).png

So, it turns out this car is Leslie C. Brand's Tioga Wolf. Leslie Brand was a wealthy man who lived in Southern California. He had the car converted to a truck early on by the Peterbilt truck factory and drove it extensively. The car remains in Southern California today and is still driven regularly. You can google Leslie C. Brand Tioga Wolf and pull up a history of Leslie and the car.

Here is the car with Leslie Brand's casket in the rear.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bet this "commercialized" Locomobile could tell some real good stories if it could only speak!

Al

It was greatly loved by Mr Brand. He found it at a Cadillac dealership around 1916 and kept it until his death in the 30s. The car looks much the same today as when Mr Brand had it.