1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Bob,  I received your email and will have a bit of time now to do some research on your push button which needs.

Johnny, I sent you a PM

Al, I will respond to Frank in Germany and see if help can be arranged for him.

I hope everything is good at years end and that everyone can settle in for a nice New Years Celebration...........but a safe one!

Alan

I received permission to post a couple, maybe more, photographs of a very nice 1914 Locomobile 38 touring car.  Cars like this one were in fact a "high water mark" of the automobile industry during the early years.  Enjoy the pictures, maybe you will get to follow this Locomobile on an upcoming tour this year.  We are all hoping for a better and healthier year for 2021.

Al

thumbnail_IMG_4617 (2).jpg

Edited by alsfarms (see edit history)

I have had a request from a friend and fellow 1917 Locomobile Model 48 owner that is trying to sort out proper carb. heat and piping that does not currently exist on his automobile.  These early automobiles do run better with carburetor heat provided from the exhaust manifold for sure.  I will post his request here and then follow up with four pictures that you can use to determine if he has the correct carburetor for his 1917 48 and potentially provide some hints on what your similar Locomobile has for carburetor heat piping and adjustments for best running.

quote:

......." I am not entirely certain about the exhaust manifold stove that is on the exhaust manifold of my 1917 car.  Mine has one hole as an exit for hot air going into the aluminum adapter on carburetor that has two holes for two pipes.  These pipes are 1 3/8".  A friend of mine has an '18 Sportif and there are two exits on the stove going to two on the carburetor.  I really don't know what is proper.  What I do know is that I have to make something to give at least some heat to the carburetor.  Currently I have no piping at all".

If you have a 1916-17-18 Locomobile 48 that is running with the original carburetor and heat piping assembly, please post here so we can help out a fellow Locmobile owner make his automobile run and perform better as it should.  (After all it is a 'Locomobile' and is on the top of the automobile pile and we want it to stay there!).

Al

Al, the pictures are not coming through on my computer. It might be that the pictures have too many pixals or you are not loading them correctly. I have learned the AACA Forum is very finicky when it comes to how to load pictures. You can drag and drop or download using their program; nothing else will work.

cheers

• Like 1

I will try and post 8 photos taken of a 1916 ? Loco in about 1916 ?  or at least

when it was almost new. Looks like it was in the Loco dealership for some work.

Side curtains/ paint details/ etc are interesting. Engine photo may help

answer the posted questions.

Johnny

L1.JPG

• Like 1

I was looking at the 1925 town car for sale on craigslist for $55,000 and wondering what a good price would be for it. A running driving Locomobile sold at auction recently for $51,000. Would anybody venture a guess on a 1925 car that's been setting a long time?

Prices are all over the place in this current market.  This one, being a pre 1915, is a plus when it comes to holding a good price and at $160K that  is a nice price.  I am concerned that prices are not done being mushy for sure but what isn't getting mushy is the cost of restoration.  An unrestored car similar to that shown above would cost way more than the $160K making full on restorations unprofitable for the owner, unless you are skilled and can do much of the work your self as in the good old days.  What has happened to us?  Are we mostly unskilled or simply just lazy not doing more work ourselves?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
correction (see edit history)

1 hour ago, hugh9222 said:

Just for information, a 1913 Loco sold for $160,000.00 on Bring a Trailer yesterday. Looked like a nice car but I don't know Loco's well enough to assess the sale.1913 Locomobile Model 38 Five-Passenger Tourer

I just purchased this car.  - very excited about it. Now I get to dig in and learn all about Locomobiles. I have and have had other brass era cars, and have been looking for a larger hp, substantial car for a while. 

• Like 5

Hello thlee, Welcome to Locomobile central!  If you wanted a "substantial" early automobile......you chose wisely!  Locomobile is one of those at the top of the pile of automobile marques.  Share a bit with us, who you are, where you are and how you got to desiring and owning Brass era automobiles and now particularly Locomobile.  If you are good with pictures and video, please post more pictures of your "New" Locomobile, still and moving.  We all appreciate good pictures and story.

Al

• Like 1

Welcome. I followed your car on Bring a Trailer. From what little I know about Locomobiles you got a real sweat ride. I am relatively new to the Loco community myself so maybe we will learn together. Enjoy! From what I read both are late 1924 models.

I have a 1924 dual cowl open Loco (VIN 190001 and needs restoration) and a 1924 limousine (VIN 19044) needing the engine to be put together. This virus has put a complete stop to doing anything!.

Welcome again. 

Hugh

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome.  I am in the suburbs of Philadelphia and have a few cars in my collection. I've always enjoyed touring and driving, so i've been looking for a good brass tour car. (I have a 1912 Auburn runabout, and previously have had a 1910 Chalmers and 1904 Knox).

This car belonged to the Magees for many years and is a proven tour car. it needs a good detailing and some TLC, but other than that is supposedly in very good condition. it was restored in the 1960s and has been "enjoyed" ever since. VIN is 6241, so I think it's a Model R-38-2 from what I can tell. I'm looking to learn as much as I can, drive it and tour with it. If it turns out to be as good a car as I think it is -- it will be a long-term keeper in my collection.

when I get the car home, I will post pictures. I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions, so it's good to find a group of folks to help out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised -- here are a few pictures of my (new to me) 1913 Model 38. I'm in search of a copy of a 1913 Locomobile Book and original Owners Manual if anyone knows of where I might find one (I have a copy of a manual, which is helpful)

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Tom,

I concur, you have purchased a nice clean early Locomobile.  If you can do a video clip of a start up and drive that would be nice to share here also.  I have a 1913 four cylinder engine that is the little brother to your car.  Could you PM me as I have a question.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the huge Locomobile literature collection now held by the Bridgeport Public Library.  They are very nice and helpful to deal with.  If you need or want anything listed give them a try.  The list is extensive!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't I wish!! I should write a book except that would show how stupid I am. I got too close to the shop owner and become involved with too many flip cars and etc. With the weather so bad this week I hope some good will come out of the spring like weather coming next week. I remember my Dad telling me that Hope was a girls name and don't forget it.