1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

I’m pretty sure I have driven the Pierce…….in Minnasoda, about ten years ago. It has changed hands several times if it’s the same car.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m pretty sure I have driven the Pierce…….in Minnasoda, about ten years ago. It has changed hands several times if it’s the same car.

This car was still registered in New York in 2016 and came to Germany at least 4 years ago. If you want to know more or if you have details to share, I can establish the contact to the owner.

I don't see a body tag on this one. Any idea who made the body? Are there two holes on the left front, close to the bottom where a body tag was removed? It looks like a very solid body. This, together with a few parts from the guy in Texas, should make another fine Loco. I've got a differential cover for it if anybody wants it. Can you snap a picture of the interior dash and front seat? Any gauges?

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

This posting is not directly Locomobile related, however, the posting is of my experiences while on the annual Nickel Era automobile tour of Southern Utah for a week. The Locomobile 48 certainly is spot on and most capable for touring with this group. Two Locomobiles were registered to participate but did not show. Ironically, 7 very nice competitor's (Pierce-Arrows) did participate. A total of 33 Nickel Era automobile's participated and represented makes from the oldest being a 1912 Overland to a 1932 Auburn (newest) and all in between. Points of interest for this tour were; Silver Reef mining district, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Escalate, Boulder, Burr trail, Zions Park, Gunlock and others.  If you are curious, I recommend going to Uncle Google for more information on any of the locations. This tour was not for the faint of heart as the area is mountainous with many grades being 8 percent and with one climb being 14 percent! Yes, each automobile worked the engine and mechanics going up but then got to test the brakes and nerves going down. This group was a delightful bunch to tour with entrants coming from all areas of the US and also Canada. I can, of course, tell many more personal stories but will save them for another time. I will share pictures now of sister automobiles to the Nickel Era Locomobile who participated.

Al

IMG_20230930_110557730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230930_110548775_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I can't figure out why some of the pictures posted upside down and this is annoying! Does anyone here who is more technology advanced than I, know how to correct the upside down pictures. I conclusion, I am hoping in the foreseeable future have my 1925 Locomobile Demarest Limousine up and ready to tour.

Al

@alsfarms and his bride provided the trouble truck for this 6-day, 600-mile tour with absolutely spectacular scenery.  I am pleased to announce that my 1918 Pierce was NOT one of his trouble truck customers, but he did have a few, including one case where a fan blade detached and lunched a radiator.  We started in St. George UT, elev about 2800 ft.  After 2 afternoons touring there, we set off for Bryce Canyon (BC City where we stayed 3 nights is at 7664 ft) via Cedar City, elev 5600 and change.  I made a point of driving to the Cedar Breaks National Monument ranger station, which is at 10,000 ft, just to be able to say I'd done so 🙂 .

This was the 2023 annual tour of the Nickel Era Touring Registry (NETR) of HCCA, which accepts cars through 1932.  We do one tour per year of 4, 5, or now 6 days primarily in the western states.  The success of these tours is largely due to securing the services of local members--in this case Bryce T, who put together excellent accommodations and superb tour routes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello John, This request is not a thread  "hijacking"..….that event normally requires a firearm. 🙂

As this is a Big Series Locomobile chat with Packard certainly being a competitor back in the day and also now. I choose to share these Packard related events to encourage other Locomobile owners to tune them and drive them! (That is my personal goal for sure). Now, the very original green Packard is a 1924 8 cylinder 7 passenger touring car. I got to know the owners very well and they shared the Packard story with me. I hope I can summarize the story correctly. This Packard was purchased as a nearly new automobile in the early 1930's by the grandfather of the current owners. Since the 1930's it has not left this family ownership. It spent most of it life secluded in a big barn in New England where it was brought out and driven every summer by various family members. I am impressed, significantly, by the condition and original status of this Packard! Equally interesting, is the story of those who accompanied this Packard during the tour. The stately Packard brought with it four passengers, all family members. This family touring event included two Sisters, a Brother and his wife. It was one of the significant high points of the 2023 Nickel Era Tour to see this very original Packard come from one side of the USA, and the riders converge from one end of the North American continent to the other all the while enjoying the Packard, as well as an occasional mechanical hick-up, each other's company, and be a big participating part of those folks attending the tour.  This family as well as the rest of the tour group were certainly a delight to be associated with. I have a wealth of other stories that could be shared of other drivers and Nickel Era automobile's. Now, back to Locomobiles. Each of our Locomobiles certainly does have a story to tell, either from a history and provenance standpoint, that everyone enjoys, or to let the Locomobile tell it's own story as we current caretakers drive it regally down the road. It is up to us to share with others as we have a great time driving and showing our Locomobiles. Does anyone else have a Locomobile story to tell?

Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prewarnut.....

If you make it out to Utah, we have a lot to see. Bryce Canyon and Zions National Parks are both absolutely breathtaking taking. I hope, in the future, to take my Locomobile and trace the route we took on the Nickel Era Tour. Many good memories were made. Come on out sometime and we will show you around.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Hello kar3616. I don't know what magic wand you used to put all these photos in correct orientation.........but thanks!

Al

Al,

If the photos are on an iPhone it is relatively easy; just ask anyone under 16 and they will provide instructions 😁.  Otherwise open the photo and then tap edit.  Tap the rotation / crop icon on the right side of the bottom row of icons, then go to the upper left and tap the rotation button.  Every tap rotates another 90 degrees.  When you get it right tap “Done” at the lower right corner and it will now be saved correctly and ready to upload.  On a computer using Windows Explorer as the viewer it works mostly the same way except some iPhone pictures resist being rotated.  Good luck!

Kent

Kar3516, the AACA forum program sometimes flips pictures when you load them. I'm sure Al knows how to correctly orientate them to send, but something screwy happens after they are loaded, not every time, but sometimes.

• Thanks 1

It's not screwy at all once you see what is really happening. Electronic photos have a right side up. They were taken in some orientation that might sometimes be unrelated to the actual content of the photo. They still all have a top. I cannot speak to the Iphone specifically, but many VIEWERS have a rotate mode that allows you to view a photo in a way that makes sense. Most if not all of them do not actually change anything. If you upload the photo to a forum or some other website, it will display with it's top side up. The photo still has a top. If the car in the photo is upside down or sideways, the web server will not know or care. All it has is the photo, and it will display that photo with the top of the photo (not the car) up.

The only cure I am aware of is to open the photo in an EDITOR of some sort (not just a viewer), rotate the photo and save a new photo while rotated. You can save it on top of the old file if you don't want to keep the upside down or sideways version, but it has to be saved after editing. Now you have a new photo with the top where you want it to be. Otherwise you haven't changed anything and you are just viewing the upside down or sideways photo in a more convenient way on your device.

I understand this is inconvenient, especially on a phone. Nevertheless, understanding the problem goes a long way toward avoiding it. Hope this helps.

Hey @alsfarms, great photos! Thanks for posting them.

I appreciate all the thoughts and words of wisdom shared here. For cell phone service I use an Android not an I phone. I have not found a function under edit, on my phone, to change the orientation of photos. It does make me scratch my head when looking at images on my phone and they are in the proper orientation, then when I post them.....presto changeo they are upside down! I must admit that it does up the stress level a notch or two. I will save these offending pictures to a different file, that has edit functions, correct the orientation and save the new version. I think, at that same time it is good to improve the photo lighting, shadows and etc. visually. Modern technology has sure changed from the time of the Kodak Brownie camera to now. Yes, I remember the good old days! Take a picture, use up all the film, send it off, pay for developing and a new roll of film, wait two weeks, then use snail mail to send a requested picture to someone in Oz, wait two weeks for my letter to get there, then two more weeks to get a response or four weeks if I need a picture in return. I kept a hand written log for all correspondence so I didn't loose tack of who, where, when and what. I also remember using a type writer as I got tired of using "long hand cursive" in communication. I guess I am showing my age! I actually very much prefer our modern technology with the speed that we can communicate now and include images. 

Back on the Locomobile subject. I was thinking about Model 38 Locomobiles and production numbers. Does anyone have access to production numbers that may still exist in the Bridgeport Museum Archives?

Al

I guess the question is: When I take a picture on my Iphone and it is oriented correctly, how does it disorientate when I load it on the forum. In other words, how does top become bottom? Al didn't stand on his head to take the picture, so it was oriented correctly on his phone. Moreover, how does someone else edit my content, not that I don't appreciate it.

31 minutes ago, AHa said:

I guess the question is: When I take a picture on my Iphone and it is oriented correctly, how does it disorientate when I load it on the forum. In other words, how does top become bottom? Al didn't stand on his head to take the picture, so it was oriented correctly on his phone. Moreover, how does someone else edit my content, not that I don't appreciate it.

If the picture is taller than it is wide, the forum will rotate the picture to landscape mode. Any picture with the phone held horizontally will post fine. If you hold your phone straight up and down vertically, then you run the risk of it being rotated.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Kent. That is a nice picture of one of the "infamous" 🙂 three P's. Do you know what madel Peerless is shown in your Hershey picture? How does it compare to a Locomobile of the same period? The Peerless looks to be an 08-09-10?

Al

IMG_5254.jpeg.585c51e99f8a60ab28c61eb453c7d940.jpeg

Al,

Looks like you nailed it.  1910 Peerless Model 27 as per the data sheet in the window.

Kent