alsfarms

1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

Hello All,

Here are a couple of photos of my 1920 48 with coachwork by Kimball of Chicago. It is a very original, like new car with only 9000 miles on it.  I love driving it so that number is going up!

I really love the 48’s and wonder if anyone here has an opinion, based on their own experiences, of how the driving compares to either a Silver Ghost or Pierce Arrow 48. I love all 3 cars but admit I am partial to the Locos.

John

ED1B311A-DB1A-4558-B450-1B116055FDB0.png

08FD463D-9CAF-43D6-B4D7-307EAEAAAD03.jpeg

• Like 1

John, Nice original survivor Locomobile.  What museum did this automobile reside for so long a time?  You are certainly a lucky fellow to own and be the caretaker.  Could you share a picture or two of the interior so we can see what it would have been like to ride  in this magnificent automobile when new?

Al

Yes John, nice car.  I've been looking for a Loco town car/ limo for years now.  I managed not to buy one as it seems that they always have some kind of problem.  In the mean time 

I have pictures of some and a collection of catalogs for the model 48. The first car posted here was for sale in the St Louis area if my memory is correct. I don't know where it went to but maybe someone here

knows.  I think it's a 48 made around 1927.  

FULL SIDE.jpg

LOCO BACK OF FRONT SEAT2.jpg

LOCO DASH 2.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO INSIDE ROOF.jpg

LOCO INSIDE SHADE.jpg

Edited by bubba (see edit history)

Bubba,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the unrestored later series Locomobile town car.  That automobile is also a piece of aluminum rolling art.  I wonder what the current status of that unrestored automobile is and where  and who.  Lots of questions.  Looks to have a Delco Dual spark distributor.  That unit does make for a great running engine.  I speak from experience!  Can anyone follow up with current information on this automobile?  Previous history is also nice to associate with the car, who, what, where etc.

Al

Hi Al,

Attached are some photos of my '17 Locomobile 48 Berling mag and switch that you were looking for.  I am new to this and hope I am doing O.K.!

Stewart

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.JPG

IMG_0979 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Good job Stewart,  You have mastered posting pictures.  Show us more of your car if you can.

Al

Here are some shots of my car’s interior which, remarkably, is original. A very elegant ride complete with electric one way telephone to communicate with chauffeur, make up and mirror kit on the ladies side and electric cigarette lighter and ashtray on gentleman’s side.

C14FABFC-1386-4C34-B2DD-BD4384D82FCD.jpeg

ADD02016-531B-44F6-A2B3-C2D8A874439D.jpeg

081F8887-916D-41A8-AD39-121A418C78B2.jpeg

• Like 1

John,

What a treat to take a look in a "New" 1920 Locomobile.  I plan to stop by, when I am in the neighborhood and see and enjoy your car first hand.  I see a few antique automobiles in the back ground, Model "T" Fords?  What else takes your fancy?

Al

Re: Driving Loco vs. Pierce & Rolls

I have not driven a Pierce or Rolls. But after I bought my Loco, I was talking to a big-time Pierce fan who told me quite forcefully that the Model 48 Pierce was a better driving car due to easier steering, and the absence of rear-spring wind-up while backing up. My Loco has the latter; when you need to slip the clutch while backing up the car tends to buck. I don't think it's the clutch, as there's no clutch chatter at all when going forward, even when slipping the clutch.  It's interesting that the respective Loco and Pierce 48 models have the same wheelbase, engine size and wheel size. Probably ought to drive similarly. But I do consider the Loco Sportif the better looking of the two.   

• Like 1

Hello James,

I assume that you vintage Locomobile still does utilize the truss bar that connects the rear end to a frame cross member located just behind the transmission?  I can't understand the spring wrap circumstance you describe.  Does anyone else have more thought or idea on that subject as it relates to the later series Locomobile 48?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

It does. It's possible that it's not adjusted properly as the car was completely disassembled for restoration in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

Hello James,

Would you be able to get your Locomobile off the ground so you could get a good picture, or two, of the torque spring assembly at the front of your torque arm?  I will post a couple of pictures of what an older version of the torque spring arrangement looks like for my 1909 Locomobile.  If your unit is similar, I suspect that one of your springs is simply broken and allows movement in the reverse direction but not in the forward direction.  I like Pierce-Arrow cars real well but they are simply not any better that a well sorted out Locomobile, (and as you have suggested, Locomobile has the masculine good looks).  🙂  Lets see if we can help you sort out the issue you have described with jumping in reverse.

Al

AF1QipMPvkphg0bkEiLmsU1v4yplcTgkScgZs8hFQKY0=s512-p-qv=puvqddt0t9msojov7ca0ts8g76msndnoq,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv6602.jpg

AF1QipPDV10baZVdqIEM9M6pJYIjtDq0XRWD19lH-Ixu=s512-p-qv=p9tmjjesa5uds3v6ehkvoacm0vpj96gt7,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv6599.jpg

James,

It is the busy time of year for sure.  Let us be a part af helping fine tune your car when you get to it.  I feel for you having a "rodeo" when you go in reverse.  🙂

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Hi Al, have you been getting my messages? At the beginning of the week you said you had a valve spring but I haven’t heard from you since.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of a spare intake spring that is finding its way to making another Locomobile 48 have the "breath of life" again.  I hope to hear about a successful first run soon and rubber on the road.  May the mechanics have their hands guided...... 🙂

Al

AF1QipMXtfT4ua7yKPtOwPupQFYsYoACjjegxJh7OIIp=s512-p-qv=p4diab6u584jpvpicrkq0tm3e830tdr8c,m=81dbfb1a1ef31da27e85eef301a32a5c,x=,t=25-iv6884.jpg

Its going in now...I just have to reconnect some air lines from the air pump to the gas pump and will be able to start it up. Many thanks to Al for the spring. Christmas indeed came early for this Loco owner! Stay tuned...

Am looking for a new rubber "gasket" for the gas pump. Did you replace yours?

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

• Like 1

Hello,  The air pump seal is not going to be a big deal.  Would you take the retaining bolt out so you can get an accurate measurement on the piston backing plate and share a couple of better pictures of how the inside of the seal is configured.   I think your pump does not pump fuel but moves air to pressurize your system and force fuel to the carburetor with that pressure you pump into the tank.  Lets get you fixed up....

Al 

I am anxious to hear how Locojohn gets on with getting his Locomobile back on the road.  Updates please.  Have you had first fire yet?

Al

Well I got the new valve spring in the engine but discovered something else in the process. Specifically, the new spring is about 3/16” talker than any of my other springs and also appears to be wound tighter. This has me wondering whether the different series of the 48 had different springs. My car is a series 7 but I assumed that the spring from any 48 would work fine. Seeing the slight difference has me thinking. I’ve been reluctant to run the engine because although the spring fits, I don’t want to cause any damage.

• Like 1

Hello John,

If you are real concerned, I would take the replacement spring and test the compression pull down with one of your original springs.  If it is close to the same, on a compression pull down test,  the differences you note, will not be an issue.

Al

Hello John,

Share an update on the progress of your Locomobile.  Are you ready to run?

Al