1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Recently, this car changed hands at $58k. Seemed a reasonable price.

what was commonly unknown?

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0020-1927-locomobile-model-90-sportif/832243

Don

seeking such a car or a model 48/38 to drive across the country.

spokane

Edited by DGPoff
Spelling (see edit history)

This is an amazing car for $58 thousand. Seems like it should have sold in a higher bracket. Earlier in these threads I posted a picture of a 1920 chassis with a 1914 era speedster body on it. It is a very nice looking car, which sold at auction for just under $250,000. I don't understand these sale prices. Concept Cars tracks auction results and Locomobile prices seemed to double between 2009 and 2014 but still a 1919 touring brought $65,000. The 1920 chassis with a speedster body on it must be an anomalie. Otherwise a lot of original cars are about to be converted to speedsters.

Image result for locomobile sales

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What stress, is put on your life-style, brought on by the current Pandemic?  Are you all able to keep a low profile and simply stay out in the garage working on your big series Locomobile projects?  Do you have any projects underway, that could be of mutual interest here and to other antique automobile  guys?  It may help us all "keep it together" if we have a daily goal to let others know what is going on while we survive Coronavirus.....

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Bob,

What a nice nice refreshing picture of one of Locomobiles "best" and in a good setting.  It is nice to contemplate nicer things as we are all dealing with he spread and results of this Coronavirus, Covid-19.  Is this a family picture with history or a picture that you have acquired?

Al

Hello Bob,

When we get done with this current Coronavirus Pandemic and all the related issues, I, for one, will be watching for your modern re-creation of that nice vintage photograph you shared with us.  That may be a nice idea for many of we owners of Brass Era automobiles, to recreate a few of our more favorite early vintage photographs and post here, if relevant.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bob,

Thanks for posting this picture.  Does this old photograph have any writing or description on the back?  Making a guess, the background looks like hill or mountain country and appears to be arid?  So, my guess is that this picture could have been taken out west somewhere.  The road, the Locomobile is on, also appears to be well groomed.  I wonder what the short post is that shows behind the hood and the taller white post behind the back of the auto.  What are some other ideas on this nice "period" photograph posted by Bob?

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Hello 38 and 48 Locomobile owners and enthusiasts.  I am not real familiar with the later stuff and have a question of two.  Here they are.  Will a 1918 Model 38 jug mount up to a  1918 48 crankcase?  If not, how are they different?  How much of an overbore, beyond 4.5", is it safe to go on a 48 dual port jug?  Can you bore safely out to 3/16" over stock?  or just 1/8" over stock?

Al

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for posting this picture.  I would sure like to have been at that show/showroom and simply walked around.  I also notice that in the mid 1920's, which is likely when this picture was taken, it appears that Locomobile and Pierce-Arrow did use white wall tires!

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was not sure  about the previous sale price the the RM sale in Az., that is quite a flip.  Nice car anyway you look at it.  This would be a nice heavy late series Locomobile and not many survive.  How good does this Model perform with the different engine?  Hugh, what is the unrestored car in your AVATAR picture?

Al  

Yes. I've had it about a year and it's my next (I hope) project. I've had a lot on my table the past few years and I am way behind on my projects. I'm attempting to make a deal with a local restoration shop and get them (I have a 24 Loco Limo and a 24 Loco parts car as well) to work with me and get them done right. So it's going to be quite a project once we start. I've got to inventory the spare parts that came in addition to the cars as well. I'm not sure how this damn virus is going to affect me getting involved in a major project away from home. I've been on this site for some time and appreciate what I've learned.

Edited by hugh9222 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How hard hit is the greater Houston area with the Covid-19?  We, here in the west are really just starting to get to the serious first wave.  For the last couple of weeks every day nearly sets a new fresh case record.  Keep out of the public as much as you can!  That should certainly keep you way from anyone that may be infected.

Al

The chassis posted in the for sale section a couple of months ago has sold. It was a model 48 chassis and was listed at $58,000 I believe. Wonder what price it brought? I've seen some complete cars selling for around that recently. Does anybody have any feel for how many Locomobiles still exist, both in project and finished form?

On 7/24/2019 at 8:04 PM, alsfarms said:

Here is a couple of pictures of an old early 48 Locomobile, shared with me by a friend.  From the looks of it probably a 1914, enjoy.

Al

Picture 1

GetAttachmentThumbnail (2).png

So, it turns out this car is Leslie C. Brand's Tioga Wolf. Leslie Brand was a wealthy man who lived in Southern California. He had the car converted to a truck early on by the Peterbilt truck factory and drove it extensively. The car remains in Southern California today and is still driven regularly. You can google Leslie C. Brand Tioga Wolf and pull up a history of Leslie and the car.

Here is the car with Leslie Brand's casket in the rear.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

With this virus I'm not sure when I'm going to get started on my restoration of my 1924, aluminum bodied, four passenger Victoria, VIN 190001 Locomobile. This is the first unit for the 1924 and 1925 run. I have several questions I'd like ask. Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

1. I understand that only 4 1924 aluminum body Victoria were made, is this true?

2. The body is quite straight and I'm thinking that I will polish it, not paint it. Did any original 1924 aluminum bodied Victoria Locomobiles come polished?

3. If not and I polish mine, would that affect its' originality?

4. Were wire wheels an option in 1924?

Thanks again.

Edited by hugh9222
Correction, Clearify a question (see edit history)

Absolutely! I didn't know anyone that owed a Loco, except for those on this site. Here I met a knowledgeable, generous owner that live less than 15 miles from me. I like that he appreciates originality. Not only does he have a beautiful Loco, the balance of his collection is to die for!.

He knows more about the cars I bought than I'll  every know. His brother and he had tried for over 20 years to buy the collection that my car was in. He knew the owner, speaking to him numerous times and learning about the cars. His brother saw the touring car in the 70's, before a fire damaged it.

He spoke of getting his Loco out of storage in the near term and would let me know so I could see it. He also said that once I get my parts and cars organized he'd trailer his Loco to my shop to help ID any parts that might be in question. My parts car is in 1,000 pieces and I'm certain that I'll need the guidance. That would help us lock in on the fit and finish of the cars.

Sounds like he wisely did his homework before he bought his. He talks like he befriended numerous owners even if their Loco wasn't for sale. I told I'm going to have a pencil and paper the next time we talk, he sounds a walking Loco encyclopedia. I never heard of a Locomobile before I bought mine. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree.

He did say that he saw a polished Loco in California years ago but didn't know if was original.

I'm looking forward to a possible long term relationship.

• Like 1

Hugh,  That makes me happy that you have connected with James and can learn and share information with him.  Your participation is the whole purpose of the AACA Locomobile forum.  James is a nice fellow and does have some very good taste in collector cars....(just for you James)!

Al

• 2 weeks later...