alsfarms

1911 - 1926 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

More Locomobile photos from my files. No information on the year or model.

Chattanooga 1962

1573993354_LocomobileDrHaberNashville.thumb.jpg.8ca7020c37daeb989b8e79719005944a.jpg

828378779_LocomobileEngine.thumb.jpg.d2703241d97b3d4f47a584c66bc47e9d.jpg

Don

• Like 1

And from Hershey, 2008 I have this noted as a 1923 model.

1879081590_Locomobile23.thumb.JPG.cebecad95eb6e7be2b36204ebc3c29a9.JPG

Don1514630955_Locomobile23Engine.thumb.JPG.8ce468f62ae73fb7ab487317c5d6d3c9.JPG

Don

• Like 1

Hello Don,

I would be very curious to learn the whereabouts of the 4  cylinder roadster type, shown above.  It sure looks like it is very likely a 11-12 Locomobile Model L.  Does anyone have information on that car.  Don, would you post it over on the Locomobile 4 cylinder gathering place?  Maybe we can learn more about it.  History is good!  It would be nice to learn more3 about the 48 shown above with the wire wheels also.

Al

alsfarms. I sent you a PM. Did you get it? Not sure I did it right.

I think I have a better picture of the 4-cylinder car if I can find it. My old slides are in a mess; I'm working on organizing  them which is how I ran across these.

Don

• Like 1

James and Al,

Thanks for the shifting tips, will try that out on the next drive. Al, I have the twin Delco distributers and points. Boy I hope those points never break!! Tim

• Like 1

Hello Don,  If you run across any other Locomobile pictures in your slide file, post them please. (even if they are old pictures).  It is good to see what has been and maybe learn a bit of history on them (the Locomobiles).

Al

Hello Tim,

I have a  spare 6 cylinder Delco dual spark distributor from a similar year Pierce-Arrow and am curious if the Locomobile and Pierce-0Arrow used the same model number of Delco.  If you would, I am anxious to know what the model number of your distributor is.  The number is stamped into the base of the distributor and should be visible.  I am actually running a four cylinder Delco dual spark distributor on my Model L Locomobile.  That system is a beauty and my engine runs like a top.

Al

Hello Don,  I amend my thinking on the 4 cylinder Model L roadster shown in pictures above.  I thought it was likely a later version due to the skirting on the rear fenders.  The skirting is indicative of a 1911-12-13.  However, upon a closer look at the engine right side I see the ports that exist on the 1909 and 1910 Model L cars.  The port I refer to is the provision for the "Make and Break" ignition system.  I now think that the car is, by engine configuration, a 1909 or 1910.

Al

Here is a You Tube posting that shows mostly 6 cylinder Locomobiles as well as a couple of other makes and a few 4 cylinder Locomobile cars.  Enjoy the details and you may want to  turn down the music a notch or two.  Can anyone here present any history about these cars without giving up any private information?  Enjoy...

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Hello Tim,

I will post a couple of pictures of the 4 cylinder Delco dual spark distributor running my Locomobile Model L.  The one picture is of the top view, much like your posted view above.  The next picture is taken from about the frame level and shows the side view of the Delco unit where it bolts down to the bronze crankcase.  It looks like, for you to see the numbers, you would need a mirror.  I can't get a reference from your picture, but is your Delco unit driven from a drive at the rear of the engine?  My Model L is driven from a drive gear that is located in the  front gear chest.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
addition for clarity (see edit history)

Tim,  I have another question for you.  I understand that the earlier 4 speed transmissions look the same as the later transmission (like yours) but the shift pattern changed.  Could take a picture of the shifter from your car so I can compare with my car.  I am just curious.

Al

Hello Tim,  That is a view of the shifter gate.  Does your gate number the various positions, 1,2,3,4 and R?

Al