1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Tim,  I have another question for you.  I understand that the earlier 4 speed transmissions look the same as the later transmission (like yours) but the shift pattern changed.  Could take a picture of the shifter from your car so I can compare with my car.  I am just curious.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, alsfarms said:

What is the funnest thing you have done in your Locomobile... ? 

Driven my younger cousins (teenagers) around on 

country roads.  Naturally, driving it anytime is fun, but

having possible future car enthusiasts along is an

added bonus.  It's a 1916 Model 38 sportif (4-passenger

sport touring car):

Locomobile in park 1--low res.JPG

Parks family reunion 2013 (17).JPG

• Like 1

The red car was restored, I understand, from the

late 1960's to the mid-1970's, two owners ago when

David Viau, D.D.S. was its owner.  I've spoken to him

and gotten quite a bit of information, but the history

of the car before him is unknown.  It won an AACA

First in 1976.  After that it was owned by Bob Bayuk,

and I got it in 2010.  The picture of my cousins was 

taken in 2013.

I don't have pictures from before the restoration, since

it was done long ago by a previous owner.

I have driven the car regularly, 10 or 20 or 40 miles in

a day.  At times it has been driven every week in nice

weather.  In fact, I have vowed never to own a trailer.

• Like 2

Hello John,  Thanks for the bit of information on your Locomobile 38.  I have seen your AVATAR picture but didn't realize that it is your Locomobile.  I hope to have my Locomobile in a condition as nice as your car someday.  Do you know of other running 38's in your area or anywhere?  I have ridden in a 38, similar to your car, that is currently in central California.  What a power house of a car they are!

Al

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Do you know of other running 38's in your area or anywhere? 

I can't say that I do.

The car, according to its Instruction Book, has 62 horsepower.

That same book lists all the various states' speed limits, and

in Pennsylvania, the state speed limit was 12 m.p.h. in town

and 24 m.p.h. in the open country.  So the car is geared to be

in top gear (4th) around 25 m.p.h., and its "sweet spot" for

cruising comfortably and effortlessly is 25 to 35 m.p.h.

Thankfully, my area has plenty of small country roads where

such driving is easily done.

• Like 1

Hello John,  I am not real familiar with the  Model 38 Locomobile.  What is the bore and stroke of your 38?  I would think that the 38 could pull stumps as it is probably designed with plenty of low end torque.  Could you post a picture of the dash board, I am curious to learn  if they were very similar to the 48's.

Al

From what I have seen with my 1916 and read in

Locomobile sales literature, the Model 38 is virtually

the same as the Model 48, except slightly smaller:

140" wheelbase instead of 143";  425 cubic-inch

6-cylinder engine instead of 525.  I believe the 

dashboard is the same, and here is my car's:

1916 Locomobile dashboard.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Does anyone here know the history of this pictured 1918 Locomobile  48 Sportif currently for sale on EBAY?  This car is located in Barcelona Spain.  The car looks nice and clean but am not sure of some of the "things" I see under the hood.  It would be nice if all of the pictures were in clear focus.  Check it out over on EBAY.

Al

image.png.23b69918d347901c0f93759284818c60.png

Edited by alsfarms
addition for clarity (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tim,

Yes, I did see the Locomobile chassis and engine.  I have also spoken with Eddie Hardy regarding some parts i have that could help out a project he has.  He has gathered up quite a pile of stuff and good for him.  Maybe a few more projects or speedsters can be built as a result of his efforts.

Al

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In terms of driving, I took my '19 Model 48 Sportif on the Glidden Tour in Defiance, Ohio several years back. Drove about 500 miles in a week. I wound up with the "fast car" group as I wanted in the same group with my brother. Had no problem keeping up running 50 MPH. But my car has the 3.2 rear end ratio, 35x5 tires (standard) and a rebuilt engine.

• Like 1

My brother was driving a '38 Chrysler with overdrive.

I don't have any pictures from that Glidden, due to an I-phone glitch at the time.

There were two Model K Fords on that tour, and those things will run.

At one point I was behind an early '30s Cadillac and we were covering some ground. Afterward he asked me if I knew how fast I was running, and I told him no, my speedo cable broke. But he was impressed that I could stay with him.

Another time I was in front of an early '30s Plymouth, and the driver complained to his wife they were stuck behind a slow car. Turned out he couldn't keep up with the Loco.

A number of people told me they were impressed with the Loco's size, speed and the rumble of the engine. And as a result of that year's Glidden being an AACA-sponsored national tour, the Loco was nominated for a national restoration award, but did not win.  

Attached is a current picture of the car. The restoration dates back to 1971, which is when it won its AACA Junior and Senior. Has really held up well.

Locomobile 2019.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of late I've been thinking a Locomobile registry would be nice and as I explored the idea I thought Al has already started one in these threads he has created. The only thing missing is motor numbers. Is there any chance the people who have posted pictures of their cars here would be willing to go back and add motor numbers and any history they have of their cars to the original post? If the numbers are added to the original post, it would save any confusion in the future. Of course, to do this just go back to the original post and click on Edit. Only the original poster can edit his or her posting.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the pictures of these nice Model M Locomobile automobiles.  Interesting that if you click on the picture of the white Locomobile above, it will take you to a file of additional pictures and information on this car.   Take a look and share your thoughts.  This must be a very good running car!

Al   

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Al,

Those pics came from Concept Cars as marked on the pics. They are copyright pictures but we aren't profiting from the pictures and my goal here is to create a registry of remaining Locomobile cars. There are several more pics of Locos on their webpage that I will try to capture in coming weeks.

• Like 1

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your response.  I do have the current and most recent HCCA roster.  Yes, it is good for the listed HCCA Locomobiles (early cars).  We are hoping to get reference to other cars not involved with the HCCA or even the AACA (later Locomobiles).  Just when we think we have a good handle on antique automobile information we learn of other cars/projects hidden away.  It surprises me the number of Locomobile cars that are located out of the USA and are simply unknown to most of us....but they are still very relevant.

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Locomobile Wanted:  Wanted  to buy for late teens or early twenties car......1917 Locomobile Book of Instruction, script Locomobile oil presssure gauge, script amp meter, top saddles that hold the folded top to the rear body section,  german silver stop light housing, glass and bezel for lamp at rear of front seat, radiator, german silver windshield frame, other misc. parts. Call Stewart at 413-519-4262 or email saterrien@comcast.net

Hello All,

Here are a couple of photos of my 1920 48 with coachwork by Kimball of Chicago. It is a very original, like new car with only 9000 miles on it.  I love driving it so that number is going up!

I really love the 48’s and wonder if anyone here has an opinion, based on their own experiences, of how the driving compares to either a Silver Ghost or Pierce Arrow 48. I love all 3 cars but admit I am partial to the Locos.

John

ED1B311A-DB1A-4558-B450-1B116055FDB0.png

08FD463D-9CAF-43D6-B4D7-307EAEAAAD03.jpeg

• Like 1

John, Nice original survivor Locomobile.  What museum did this automobile reside for so long a time?  You are certainly a lucky fellow to own and be the caretaker.  Could you share a picture or two of the interior so we can see what it would have been like to ride  in this magnificent automobile when new?

Al

Yes John, nice car.  I've been looking for a Loco town car/ limo for years now.  I managed not to buy one as it seems that they always have some kind of problem.  In the mean time 

I have pictures of some and a collection of catalogs for the model 48. The first car posted here was for sale in the St Louis area if my memory is correct. I don't know where it went to but maybe someone here

knows.  I think it's a 48 made around 1927.  

FULL SIDE.jpg

LOCO BACK OF FRONT SEAT2.jpg

LOCO DASH 2.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO INSIDE ROOF.jpg

LOCO INSIDE SHADE.jpg

Edited by bubba (see edit history)