1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

• 1 month later...
  • alsfarms changed the title to 1911 - 1926 Locomobile 48 gathering place

Do you know of any Locomobile 48's and 38's being restored or repaired to keep the automobile roadworthy?  Is your Locomobile 6 cylinder ready for the touring season?  What kind of use do you plan for your car this year?  Post a picture, we would like to see what other Locomobiles are on the move.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

• alsfarms changed the title to 1911 - 1926 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello James,  That is one nice Locomobile!  I have a pair of the same type headlamps that need a car to put them on.  Do you have any mechanical pieces under the bench?  Oh yes, though this is a Locomobile forum, your red Auburn is a very pretty and sporty car!  The Auburn was a fine addition to the Idaho Glidden tour.

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)

Nice car Tim!  Did you receive any spare parts with the purchase?  When was the restoration completed?  Is it a good behaving road car?  Could you post a few additional pictures that show the dash and engine compartment?

Al

Hello Tim,

I ask about spare parts as I am trying to complete a set of jugs for a 48 Locomobile and still to locate one good/repairable jug for that project.  What ignition system does your Locomobile run with?  I will watch for your additional pictures along with many others who check out this Locomobile forum!  Do you know of other owners who would post a picture of their 38-48 in either restored or unrestored condition?  Thanks for posting!

Al

Al,

Not a great pic of my dash, but it was as good as I could get. I have the twin distributers and run on both. Took her on a run on Saturday 90+ degrees. About 5 miles. All good!! Shifting is interesting. Must be done firmly and quickly, no hesitation. If you miss you are coming to a stop. Tim

IMG_0429.jpg.5608fb76228ee9fd8c823cb6dfd89d86.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Al,

It was a blast. Even though the car is nearly 100 years old, it was exciting. I watched a u tube on a 1920 on a ride, and found his words on the money. Look forward to cooler weather to exercise her on a longer ride.  Tim

• Like 1

My car is running the Delco points and condenser dual distributor. I do have the original Berling magneto and switch as spares, plus a second distributor. I have a spare carburetor, rod with piston, high-speed ring gear and pinion, and a few odds and ends.

As for shifting, on my car, on the 1-2 shift, when in neutral wait 2 seconds before going into 2nd. On going to 3rd or 4th, don't wait at all -- shift as fast as you can. In all cases, no double-clutching is needed so long as you time the 1-2 shift, than go fast on the others.

If you miss a shift, you don't have to stop and start over. Just go back to neutral, let the clutch out and rev the engine slightly and then quickly push the clutch in and complete the shift. It takes a little practice, but does work.  In this respect the Locomobile is no different from any 20s car that is normally double-clutched to shift, other than the heavy nature of the clutch and shifter. In this case, rather than double clutch to slow down the gear to avoid grinding, since you missed than shift you are now using the clutch and throttle to speed up the gear so it will engage. You can use the same procedure to upshift, it just takes higher RPM. The Locomobile doesn't really lend itself to the latter. Doing this takes some practice to get used to the procedure. Of course, it's far better to just shift fast, as stated above.  

• Like 1

Hello Jerry,

I would like to have the shifting experience you have with a Locomobile 48!  It sounds like you have got the shifting figured out and down to a serious science.  What gear ratio is your spare ring and pinion set?  I am still working on locating a single Locomobile jug as shown above.  If you or a friend may have an available jug, that would be great.

Hello Tim,

I am anxious to hear more about the technical aspects of your particular Locomobile and your experiences with a longer drive.

Al

I saw someone asked for photos. Pulled my old 1916 (built May 1915) out of the warehouse

and dusted it off for a short tour. I have a postcard with this same paint on the car in the 1950's

so who knows how old it is. Interior is new and pretty accurate.

Grandkids are being immersed in the old cars.......

Johnny

loco.jpg

Hello Don,

I would be very curious to learn the whereabouts of the 4  cylinder roadster type, shown above.  It sure looks like it is very likely a 11-12 Locomobile Model L.  Does anyone have information on that car.  Don, would you post it over on the Locomobile 4 cylinder gathering place?  Maybe we can learn more about it.  History is good!  It would be nice to learn more3 about the 48 shown above with the wire wheels also.

Al

alsfarms. I sent you a PM. Did you get it? Not sure I did it right.

I think I have a better picture of the 4-cylinder car if I can find it. My old slides are in a mess; I'm working on organizing  them which is how I ran across these.

Don

• Like 1

Hello Don,  If you run across any other Locomobile pictures in your slide file, post them please. (even if they are old pictures).  It is good to see what has been and maybe learn a bit of history on them (the Locomobiles).

Al

Hello Tim,

I have a  spare 6 cylinder Delco dual spark distributor from a similar year Pierce-Arrow and am curious if the Locomobile and Pierce-0Arrow used the same model number of Delco.  If you would, I am anxious to know what the model number of your distributor is.  The number is stamped into the base of the distributor and should be visible.  I am actually running a four cylinder Delco dual spark distributor on my Model L Locomobile.  That system is a beauty and my engine runs like a top.

Al

Hello Don,  I amend my thinking on the 4 cylinder Model L roadster shown in pictures above.  I thought it was likely a later version due to the skirting on the rear fenders.  The skirting is indicative of a 1911-12-13.  However, upon a closer look at the engine right side I see the ports that exist on the 1909 and 1910 Model L cars.  The port I refer to is the provision for the "Make and Break" ignition system.  I now think that the car is, by engine configuration, a 1909 or 1910.

Al

Here is a You Tube posting that shows mostly 6 cylinder Locomobiles as well as a couple of other makes and a few 4 cylinder Locomobile cars.  Enjoy the details and you may want to  turn down the music a notch or two.  Can anyone here present any history about these cars without giving up any private information?  Enjoy...

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Hello Tim,

I will post a couple of pictures of the 4 cylinder Delco dual spark distributor running my Locomobile Model L.  The one picture is of the top view, much like your posted view above.  The next picture is taken from about the frame level and shows the side view of the Delco unit where it bolts down to the bronze crankcase.  It looks like, for you to see the numbers, you would need a mirror.  I can't get a reference from your picture, but is your Delco unit driven from a drive at the rear of the engine?  My Model L is driven from a drive gear that is located in the  front gear chest.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
addition for clarity (see edit history)