BUGS how to remove

PETEPONTIAC-1

The bugs are really hard to remove if you have left them there for a while. They damage the paint. I tried waxing with a couple of brands, but their solvents were not enough. Turps didn't work (it takes tar off). Eventually I bought a kit with clays in it (Mothers California Gold?) and smoothed the paint then polished with a wax or something with mild cutting agent in it to smooth the insect  dents.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

I use mineral spirits for road tar.  For tree sap and bugs, I use very warm water, mild dish soap, and a Scotch Brite "no scratch" plastic scrubbing sponge/pad (no abrasive type).

Make sure road dust/grit is rinsed off the paint before rubbing it with anything. The Scotch Brite "no scratch" pads won't hurt fully dry and cured paint, but any grit on the paint surface will. ...even if you use a soft cloth.

Paul  

Put the car in front of a lawn sprinkler for a few hours, then try. Whey will soften AFTER time. If just on painted surfaces, warm soapy water on a towel draped over the area, keep it wet for a few hours, works fine.