1928 Series 128/129 Fast Four engine rebuild

RichBad

Called today and they are mid way through repairing it, they said it’s no problem.  Still have my doubts but they said they will pressure test when done.  I asked if they will torque it down any they said only lightly.  I asked them to fully torque it for the pressure test as I don’t want to rebuild it all only to find that it goes when I torque it up.  I’m nervous but I also don’t much like the other option of starting almost from scratch on another block.

Picked up the repaired block today and they said it will be all good.  They just repaired the large two cracks but not a couple of small ones on the front - they said because it was quite thin walled it would weaken it further and because the small cracks go into the stud hole which is sealed with the studs it would not leak.  They torqued it up and pressure tested it to 45psi to test the repairs so I guess it’s good.  I also spoke with the guy who did the repair and he seemed to know what he was talking about.  He was also surprised that it had cracked as he did the initial crack and pressure test - I asked him if the old studs were in when he did his checks and he said they were.  Really makes me think that removing the old studs caused the damage (or at least weakened it) as the marks on the studs look like they took a huge force to remove.  

Time me will tell - they did quite a neat job with the repair and luckily Matt gave me some extra paint so I could patch it up.

7F6B871F-6AE6-48A2-A09A-B2FE5C1C7477.thumb.jpeg.7b133498ff9a2316d8cdf4dd70dab8ba.jpeg

9A821397-39F2-4E36-AA24-60F413460166.thumb.jpeg.be09b80c39aa5d1638756b6c88e9057f.jpeg

8464A681-B9C3-4729-9671-2529E16C7D2C.thumb.jpeg.8f25cc0ad593597e4edd9ff544513010.jpeg

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

After you start and idle it for a while, you will be leaving it full of moisture with all the assembly lube removed. Do you really want to do that? If so, when you are ready to shut it down, squirt a bit of oil down the carb to make some smoke. It will put some oil on the valves to prevent them sticking and oil the  upper cylinders.

• Thanks 1

Well it started first time - almost - just had to pull the mixture lever and she fired straight up.  Got to check/adjust the timing and mixture but she’s running pretty smooth. And doesn’t doom to be any leaks so far...

will load a video when i can figure out how to shrink so I can upload.

9CBE1F23-FB15-43CC-A559-E5C3E3BA725C.thumb.jpeg.8fe95eecd8ad518d4e8451f09271a170.jpeg

• Like 3