Hood center hinge for 1936 Buick series 40

36threewindow

I am looking for a Hood Center Hinge for 1936 Buick series 40. The one I have is missing a lot of chrome and rusty. I have seen reproductions in polished stainless steel for 1930's Fords but they are not tall enough for the Buick and other GM's (i'm assuming). Has anyone seen repo's of this part for 36 Buicks or other GM's that might fit and save me from having mine replated.

Thanks

Al T.

I have moved your post to the Buick Pre War Forum where I think you are more likely to find someone who can help.

I am not that familiar with 1936 Buicks. How close is that part to a 1938 Buick hood center trim strip? Brian DePouli should be able to help you with that if they are similar. You can find him on the forum, but here is his ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Buick-Special-Series-40-Hood-Hinge-Stainless/222968937076?hash=item33e9fbfa74:g:4~AAAOxySoJTQ-kv

45 minutes ago, 36threewindow said:

I am looking for a Hood Center Hinge for 1936 Buick series 40. The one I have is missing a lot of chrome and rusty. I have seen reproductions in polished stainless steel for 1930's Fords but they are not tall enough for the Buick and other GM's (i'm assuming). Has anyone seen repo's of this part for 36 Buicks or other GM's that might fit and save me from having mine replated.

Thanks

Al T.

Al, I also have a `36 40 series 3w coupe and I`ve found that nothing fits a `36 40 series but a `36 40 series. I`m not aware of anyone reproducing this hinge. I bought a complete hood just for the hinge. There are two hinges for the `36, some like yours and the hood I bought (chrome plated steel), the other is Stainless Steel clad. I had mine re-chromed. Have you checked with Dave Tacheny?

On both of mine the original had a stainless covering which was beyond restoration. I removed the stainless and had the piece replated and then installed.  I have not found nor seen a reproduction and have not seen one for sale in last 10 years. Also unaware of any which would interchange.

Rod

Based on the other responses, I would suggest you contact Dave Tacheny. If one is available anywhere, he would be the most likely one to have it. He is the premier parts source for 1936-1941 Buick parts. You can reach Dave between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427-3460.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:34 AM, pont35cpe said:

Al, I also have a `36 40 series 3w coupe and I`ve found that nothing fits a `36 40 series but a `36 40 series. I`m not aware of anyone reproducing this hinge. I bought a complete hood just for the hinge. There are two hinges for the `36, some like yours and the hood I bought (chrome plated steel), the other is Stainless Steel clad. I had mine re-chromed. Have you checked with Dave Tacheny?

Interesting to hear there was a stainless clad hinge - I'll check with Dave Tacheny and see what he has.

Thanks fella's