63 Riv AC flush and vacuum

Turbinator

1 hour ago, BBK said:

I will fill my system with a butane propane mixture

That sounds like an explosive mixture! Probably not a good idea if you were to get in a front end accident! :unsure:

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

1 hour ago, BBK said:

Hey, 

Where I get those inline filters to prevent dirt in the system? 

Does the filter in the drier will not prevent for damages? 

Im rebuilding also my AC (Compressor and hoses was missing) buyed already new Pag oil, dryer and expansion valve. I will fill my system with a butane propane mixture as r134a costs is crazy high in Europe. 

Read this forum thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/using-propane-as-ac-refrigerant.164250/

I think the extra cost for R134 is not a good enough reason to use combustible substitutes in your AC system. If you do, I hope your life insurance is paid up.

My two cents worth...

Yeah but newer cars are charged with R1234yf which is very explosive. Newer frigess are also charged with propan butan mix. But OK I know the discussion. Maybe if the system is running I will charge the system with r134a. The butan/Propan mixture should be like the old r12a, better cooling and less leaking. 

Sir, I tried to find the in line filters myself for my 1963 Riviera AC. I could not find any specifically for my car. I was told the Drier/Accumulator does the filtering. Secondly if you evacuate your AC system properly as well as vacuum the system hopefully the system will be clean. If you have an AC muffler don’t for get to evacuate the muffler as oil can puddle in the AC muffler.

im no chemist, so I can not advise what kind of gas to use in your AC.  I use the virgin R12 Freon in my AC and it cools very well.

best of luck,

Turbinator

• Like 1

Just as an aside. M/B REFUSES to use the new stuff in their products.   To much of a chance for lawsuits, etc.

Bob, I thought I explained it to you ALL the filters for the low & high sides are a universal fit the reason they ask for piping sizes.   There is NOTHING made specifically for an early car.  I don't even see them listed by make & model for even the new cars.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, telriv said:

Just as an aside. M/B REFUSES to use the new stuff in their products.   To much of a chance for lawsuits, etc.

Bob, I thought I explained it to you ALL the filters for the low & high sides are a universal fit the reason they ask for piping sizes.   There is NOTHING made specifically for an early car.  I don't even see them listed by make & model for even the new cars.

Double T, I bought a filter for my AC, but it was not for mobile AC, but the filter was for some kind AC service machine. I yelled “ Uncle” after that.

Never did find any filter. A supplier told me my drier/accumulator was my filet. I said, “ Fine”.

Turbinstor

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, telriv said:

Ok, Tom. We are on the same team. Please write the name of the filter and what suppliers might have these filters. I would have put the filters on in the first place had I been able to find them. I was probably not describing the filters correctly.

Turbinator

• 3 weeks later...

Severe duty replacement clutch fan I installed replaces the recently new clutch fan installed maybe 6-8 months ago. The purpose of the severe duty clutch fan was to increase cold volume while idling at stop lights. The traffic back ups in my area are more than terrible. The severe duty clutch fan is giving me more cold air while waiting for traffic signals. I bought another ( I lost the other one) AC car thermometer to check the AC temp. I’m fine with the cold air I get now. I’m curious to see the temp of the air.

Turbinator

The severe duty clutch should give you higher fan RPM at low speed, hopefully while behaving like a normal clutch at higher speeds.  Two things about such a clutch, though:

- It's activated by temperature, which means that until your engine gets good and hot, it's not pulling that extra air.  Of course, that might also means it's not hot enough need AC to begin with. ;) 

- When you run it in the winter, you might find that your heater doesn't work as well.

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

The severe duty clutch should give you higher fan RPM at low speed, hopefully while behaving like a normal clutch at higher speeds.  Two things about such a clutch, though:

- It's activated by temperature, which means that until your engine gets good and hot, it's not pulling that extra air.  Of course, that might also means it's not hot enough need AC to begin with. ;) 

- When you run it in the winter, you might find that your heater doesn't work as well.

Mr Konga Man, it will be interesting to see and maybe record just what happens when with the project. Your information is helpful and appreciated. The good thing about winter is I don’t drive the Riv as much. If the roads are salt free and dry I’m likely to take a ride in freezing weather. I keep my head and hands covered pretty good in the winter so I don’t get too cold. It will be fun to see what happens.

Turbinator