1928 Standard carburetor metering pin distance

michealbernal

In overhauling the Marvel carburetor for my 1928 Standard the data sheet gives a measurement of 27/32 of an inch for the metering pin but I have no idea where to or from  what I am supposed to measure.  Would someone please explain how and where I should be taking this measurement. Thanks.

I had to purchase a replacement carburetor for the car and then I had to buy a used metering pin for that carburetor.  Its not that I overhauled the original carburetor off the car, its that I built this out of a collection of parts so I want to make sure I have all the settings correct

• Like 1

This`s how it normaly looks on mid late 1920s Marvel carburetors(pictures).Put a picture of the 1928  "data sheet", and of  your carburetor  as well as the metering pin! Maybe that will help to understand what the measurment meens?

Leif in Sweden.

Metering (1).JPG

Metering (2).JPG

Rayduur, thank you so much for your response.  I think  that is where I was  trying to go with my original inquiry.  So how do you determine  what length of metering pin length is needed for a specific vehicle? Do they come in various lengths?  Is that what the measurement 27/32" means?  Is it  a part number?  .  My link is somewhat rust pitted and I do not see any numbers stamped into it or imprinted on it.

Mike , I wish that I could answer that. The best solution would be if someone had a all original car that could provide dimensions for the link and metering pin. This will work only if car has the correct heat riser too. I had to go thru several metering pins and links to get my combination. At idle metering pin should be near bottom of its bore. You look for the correct link length to accomplish this. CarbKing may have some insight on this issue.

Mike, I believe the 27/32" is the stroke length for the metering pin. I looked through the Marvel Carb book from BOB'S "Carburetion in Relation to service"  and on page 30 it mentions that the part #s are plainly marked on the components. The one on my 1925 Standard was a home made item of dubious accuracy. On a spare engine I have there was the carb set up with the original metering pin link with the # stamped (168-4) which should be the same for 1926, 27, 28 standards. That is according to the calibration chart that comes with the book. The 1928 Master should be (168-10) .Any change in metering pin length will change the duration of the  time it comes out of the jet. Effecting rich verses lean running. There is nothing on this chart mentioning the (27/32") distance for anything on the link. I have a small booklet on my 1925 Model T  S-3 and S-4 Style Carb for both Standard and Master. That is where I believe it mentions about the metering pin length between the location holes. I made what I thought was a correct replacement for the homemade one I had. DO NOT MAKE IT FROM ALUMINUM ! Even though it was the correct thickness when I went to downshift and gave the carb a bit of a shot of gas the link bent and held the throttle wide open!!! With the engine screaming I thought it would blow. I was able to pull the accelerator pedal up and also shut off the ignition.  I did make a good strong replacement and later when I had one to compare to it matched.

• 3 years later...

Michael,

This is an old thread, but I have more information.  Attached is a drawing of the 168-4 metering pin link that is correct for your car. 

Attached is also a drawing of the #2 metering pin that is used (1 year only) in 1925 Buick Standards.  Would anyone have an extra one of these metering pins, or a metering pin that could be modified slightly to match these specifications?  

Thank you,

Hugh

812700350_carburetormeteringpinlink168-4.jpg.2bdab99d0a8c23df539db4452e8957f7.jpg539074407_Carburetor1925BuickStandardMeteringpin.JPG.87a8316eca85b27ce3404b1c5081525b.JPGIMG_4291.JPG.411f9931cbbb119741184170734a2b2a.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Micheal, I was following your post and discussion.  Thanks to you I was able to buy the metering pin too.  However, I don't have a arm or link that attaches to it.  Is this something you might have extra of for sale?

Thanks, Rod Miles   Owner of a 1928 Standard Coiuntry Club Coupe.