1969 442 Convertible

1969 442 Convertible for sale.  My late Uncle bought this car after he got out of Vietnam. All original.  Car was sitting in garage and is currently being worked on to get running again.  Right front fender needs to be replaced because of sizable dent, maybe new interior and top needs replacing but works. Project car.

6C303B82-D455-45C3-BFE0-88B74CEA4956.jpeg

AA5D6BD1-E108-48DF-A332-849A7A38F493.jpeg

C1124DDE-5DB7-4B48-9753-CF6313C60219.jpeg

Get some better pics of the car, so interested folks can determine WHAT needs to be done ....... including the interior and damaged fender.

Offers are nice to receive, but accurate descriptions are paramount.

What engine, what tranny, power steering or power brakes ...... top condition, interior needs, body work needed are all items potential buyers want to consider.

How about the title ...... is it in hand and in the name of the current owner ??

Folks will buy, but your job is to tell them what they're possibly buying.

Let us know the facts and thanks.

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Car is currently at a restoration shop getting checked over.  I will get more details from them as they assess the car.  I have the Title (original actually) and the engine is the 400 auto with power steering, power brakes and factory air.  I would assume it’s the standard factory transmission for that year and engine since it hasn’t been modified.  Car needs TLC as it was sitting in the garage but will know more specifics shortly.

Edited by Sean K (see edit history)

Restoration shops are great, and serve a wonderful purpose.

I can tell you, though, that once you put that car in a restoration shop "just for a little work", you'll start losing money. 

Your best bet is to sell it as is, put it on Ebay with a reserve or just come up with a price and advertise it.   I know of a car I used to own, I wanted to buy it back, the fellow put it in a shop to do "a little work", and when done he came to me with an asking price below what he'd paid at the shop......

1969 is my favorite Cutlass, it should be easy to find a 442 a good home if you're real world about pricing....

That’s funny.  I agree and had that concern.  However, I know the owner of the shop and he is going to just get the car running again because it was sitting.  I really have no idea what the car is worth but understand by getting it running is a major hurdle on value.  I would keep this car but have limited funds to restore.  So I agree, I would like to sell As Is but wanted to see what I have 1st.

You'll have a lot more interest and success if you name a starting price. Many of us are tired of playing the "what will you offer me" game with sellers.  Check completed auctions on ebay for an idea of pricing.  One of the things you will find if you do that is that most of the cars on ebay do not sell. Too many people apparently have terminal cases of "Barrett Jackson disease".  Value of your car will depend a lot on condition of the body. Mechanical repairs are easy.  Rust repairs are not.  For example, from your photos, I can't tell what's going on with the left rear wheel well.  Is that rot or just surface rust? And photos of a wet car only impress the uninformed, as the water hides a multitude of sins.  Get real photos of the car that honestly show the condition.  Informed buyers will want to see detailed photos of the typical problem areas. Post a photo of the cowl tag as well. Good luck.

• Like 3

Depending on where your price comes in,  you will want to verify that it is a matching numbers engine.  Even if it looks original to the car and hasn't been modified,  it wasn't uncommon for the engines,  even under warranty to get replaced.  To some that will be a deal breaker as it takes as much money to restore a matching numbers car as a non matching numbers car,  but in the Muscle car world,  it will make a big difference in the value and sale ability of the finished car.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pardon my ignorance, but my understanding was the 442 determined 4 speed 4 barrel dual exhaust. As the seller seems to be hesitant to give a $ number up front therefore  I am no longer interested. I'm just not interested in a bidding war, If I wanted one I would go to an auction.The key to the value is "numbers matching" . A photo of the build plate and title would be a big plus. 

I'm guessing this is just a fishing expedition to get commitments then go elsewhere to sell the car. I thought the forum rules here had to have prices listed in the advertisement, if not it should be, save a lot of time wasted back and forth. His stories are a bit thin and if the car is really at a restoration shop better photos would be easy to get. 

Again its just a fishing expedition in my opinion.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 5

Well put Brasscarguy. 442 Originally started out to mean exactly that - 4 speed, 4 barrel, dual exhaust. At some point the "girlie men" must have complained because they didn't have the smarts to know how to drive a stick, so Olds made them with AT's also. I've even seen some for sale with AT on the column.

The girle men must outnumber the real men by alot because even Corvette's now come with automatics as standard equipment. As I get older I better understand wanting automatics in cars. I bet people were the same back in the 60s' and the 442 was not a cheap car for kids. Also if you were serious about drag racing a column shift car was usually lighter and cheaper than a console car so it would make sense to offer it.

I would have thought a 4-speed also, but strange things happen in the car world.

The '69 Cutlass was even available with a six cylinder engine.

The last Mustang that I owned was a 1966 GT Hi-Po convertible, and it had the correct Hi-Po engine with the factory correct automatic transmission, all verified by tag numbers.  I had many people look at it and tell me they didn't come that way, but they did...a 271 HP 289 with an automatic!

The other cool '69 accessory was the Tic-Tac-Toc, which had tachometer and clock in a pod together, and gauges instead of standard idiot lights...

rp69.png

I don't know what the breakdown between 4-speed and automatic was but of course both were offered in 1969.  They produced over 4200 convertibles.

The person writing the ad seems to have inherited the cars in some way and looking for help.  I don't read him as trying to do anything other than learn.  He is new to the forum and probably does not understand  why some of these comments are being made.  His posts do not seem like he is trying to hide anything from us.  Not my favorite year but if it is numbers matching someone will jump at this project if he sets a realistic price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I don't know what the breakdown between 4-speed and automatic was but of course both were offered in 1969.  They produced over 4200 convertibles.

The person writing the ad seems to have inherited the cars in some way and looking for help.  I don't read him as trying to do anything other than learn.  He is new to the forum and probably does not understand  why some of these comments are being made.  His posts do not seem like he is trying to hide anything from us.  Not my favorite year but if it is numbers matching someone will jump at this project if he sets a realistic price.

Steve, I agree up to a point.

I think every comment made here has been an effort to ascertain what he has, and if there's an asking price.

Nothing worse than seeing a car you might be interested in, then find out that the owner want 3 or 4 times market price for that car.  It's happened to me numerous times, spent time contacting owner and talking, then finally price is mentioned and it's not reasonable.

Interesting car needing a restoration. Not a high dollar car as it sits, a high dollar car restored.

He obviously knows someone in the restoration business, as mentioned that the car is at a "shop".  So, it's easy to read that he's fishing, just waiting for someone to show up at his door with big bucks. Life isn't like that, unless it's a super rare car, which this is not.

So, to get this on even ground, why not have two "for sale" forums.  One that posts cars for sale, no comments allowed, seller choice.  One that posts cars for sale, comments allowed, seller choice.  PLUS, there should be a strict requirement that a sale price be posted.  The seller has a figure in mind, and "listening to offers" just sucks.

So how about it?  Wouldn't that protect "newbies" better than the current system?

I think he is being honest, some people are so anxious to show what they have before getting alot of pictures and information.   I know when I put my dad's cars up for sale I didn't have good pictures and not much information on there conditions.   I wasn't "fishing ", I was just anxious to get them out there where people could see them. Give people the benefit of a doubt!!!

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To all who are not Oldsmobile experts, the "442" designation only meant "4 speed, 4 bbl, dual exhaust" in 1964, the first year of production.  In 1965 Olds replaced the 330 motor with a 400 and offered 3spd, 4spd and automatic transmission options.  The name was redefined to mean "400 cu in, 4 bbl, dual exhaust".  By 1966 the name became meaningless, since you could get a 3x2 bbl option.  For 1968 you could get the 2bbl Turnpike Cruiser option. In 1970 the engine size went up to 455 cu in.  With encroaching emissions requirements and onerous insurance pricing, the 1972 442 package was available with a 350 cu in, 2bbl, single exhaust motor putting out a pavement-ripping 160 HP net.  By the mid-70s there was a V6 and 5spd manual.

1965%20Oldsmobile%20Sports%20Models-05.j

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1