mikewest

What to treat bare steel with that cant be painted ?

What would be a good product to treat some bare steel parts that I don't want to paint but I want to protect from rust and maintain a color like black? Gun bluing comes to mind  but wonder what else is available.  Mike

Mike, 

I leave metal parts in vinegar, and it removes all the rust.  I use a wire brush or scotchbrite pad and then rinse it in water and clean off the black coloring.  I dry the part with a rag and then use a shop vac that allows me to flip the hose, and I blow dry the part.  This is as clean as sandblasting.  I wear gloves and I wipe the part with Ospho that I just soak up some on a rag and I wipe it on.  You could even use a brush.  Then I take a paper towel and I wipe off the excess without rubbing real hard.  I let it dry.  I just want a thin film and I dont want to leave any heavy ospho that shows up as a black streak.  Then I 2K epoxy primer or use VHT epoxy primer in a can.  Usually I can get away with nothing other than Ospho for a month or better if the part is kept inside my shop.   I have found that if you begin to see a little rust forming, you can rub that area with some ospho on a rag, and you will see the rust disappear, then I dry it again and I know how long the ospho coating lasts without needing to do any additional blasting or resoaking in vinegar.    Hugh  

12 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Mike, 

I leave metal parts in vinegar, and it removes all the rust.  I use a wire brush or scotchbrite pad and then rinse it in water and clean off the black coloring.  I dry the part with a rag and then use a shop vac that allows me to flip the hose, and I blow dry the part.  This is as clean as sandblasting.  I wear gloves and I wipe the part with Ospho that I just soak up some on a rag and I wipe it on.  You could even use a brush.  Then I take a paper towel and I wipe off the excess without rubbing real hard.  I let it dry.  I just want a thin film and I dont want to leave any heavy ospho that shows up as a black streak.  Then I 2K epoxy primer or use VHT epoxy primer in a can.  Usually I can get away with nothing other than Ospho for a month or better if the part is kept inside my shop.   I have found that if you begin to see a little rust forming, you can rub that area with some ospho on a rag, and you will see the rust disappear, then I dry it again and I know how long the ospho coating lasts without needing to do any additional blasting or resoaking in vinegar.    Hugh  

Thank you Hugh!

If they can be oily,  you could use a product like fluid film.  What kind of exposure?  Are you going to paint them later? How big are they? 

There are lanolin products that spray on and the carrier dries off, leaving a waxy coating of lanolin. Works for a little while outside and for a long while inside. It is a bit sticky until fully dry.

In this country Altex Coatings make RIPO, Rusting Inhibiting Penetrating Oil. It dries off similarly, leaving a tough film inhibiting moisture from touching the part.