What to treat bare steel with that cant be painted ?

mikewest

Mike, 

I leave metal parts in vinegar, and it removes all the rust.  I use a wire brush or scotchbrite pad and then rinse it in water and clean off the black coloring.  I dry the part with a rag and then use a shop vac that allows me to flip the hose, and I blow dry the part.  This is as clean as sandblasting.  I wear gloves and I wipe the part with Ospho that I just soak up some on a rag and I wipe it on.  You could even use a brush.  Then I take a paper towel and I wipe off the excess without rubbing real hard.  I let it dry.  I just want a thin film and I dont want to leave any heavy ospho that shows up as a black streak.  Then I 2K epoxy primer or use VHT epoxy primer in a can.  Usually I can get away with nothing other than Ospho for a month or better if the part is kept inside my shop.   I have found that if you begin to see a little rust forming, you can rub that area with some ospho on a rag, and you will see the rust disappear, then I dry it again and I know how long the ospho coating lasts without needing to do any additional blasting or resoaking in vinegar.    Hugh  

12 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Mike, 

I leave metal parts in vinegar, and it removes all the rust.  I use a wire brush or scotchbrite pad and then rinse it in water and clean off the black coloring.  I dry the part with a rag and then use a shop vac that allows me to flip the hose, and I blow dry the part.  This is as clean as sandblasting.  I wear gloves and I wipe the part with Ospho that I just soak up some on a rag and I wipe it on.  You could even use a brush.  Then I take a paper towel and I wipe off the excess without rubbing real hard.  I let it dry.  I just want a thin film and I dont want to leave any heavy ospho that shows up as a black streak.  Then I 2K epoxy primer or use VHT epoxy primer in a can.  Usually I can get away with nothing other than Ospho for a month or better if the part is kept inside my shop.   I have found that if you begin to see a little rust forming, you can rub that area with some ospho on a rag, and you will see the rust disappear, then I dry it again and I know how long the ospho coating lasts without needing to do any additional blasting or resoaking in vinegar.    Hugh  

Thank you Hugh!

• 2 weeks later...

There are lanolin products that spray on and the carrier dries off, leaving a waxy coating of lanolin. Works for a little while outside and for a long while inside. It is a bit sticky until fully dry.

In this country Altex Coatings make RIPO, Rusting Inhibiting Penetrating Oil. It dries off similarly, leaving a tough film inhibiting moisture from touching the part.