Only at Pebble Beach

TerryB

10 minutes ago, Dave Fields said:

It was also parked in the dirt lot for spectators at the Thursday night auction. Unbelievable. Of course, there were cars even more valuable than the Tucker driving around during the week. Staggering!

Yeah, "staggering" that people would actually, you know, drive cars! ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

Yeah, "staggering" that people would actually, you know, drive cars! ?

As in one of only a few survivors of a make that was gone before it even started, I’d call driving it on the highway and parking it in dirt lots staggering too.  But I’m poor and easily staggered!

That's the former Cofer Collection Tucker #34 in Waltz Blue. It lived in Tucker, GA for decades until it was auctioned a few years ago.

Mr. Gene Cofer let us use it, his favorite of a large collection, to establish our Main Street Car Show in Anderson, SC, in 2000.

Over the years it's been on the street a lot, for parades and promotional events to benefit the hobby.

Seen here at the 2000 inaugural show and in our former downtown garage,  when Dave Bowman got to drive it a bit during the week it was in Anderson, taking #34 one afternoon to visit residents of a downtown retirement home.

416935630_MainStreetShow2000600dpiXxT.thumb.jpg.8569db7fdc63cb64500a750e22315d40.jpg

337578034_Tucker343XT.thumb.jpg.6abeb15cb71ae9dbbeb9b4e7afe5b38d.jpg

The lady in the pink blouse, her father was a dentist (in the B&W photo, the man in the white brimmed hat with his hands on his hips)

who bought the rights for the Tucker dealership when #17 came here in 1948 and, of course, lost his shirt.

Don't know if it was that particular shirt he was wearing that day...  ?

222717440_Tucker341X.thumb.jpg.f6d9bd9a13a6ba556bcc0dd8f9a69e49.jpg

1858705471_Tucker17CXT.thumb.jpg.8c345626e1681b33ee9d3141c0ecc737.jpg

#34 was the most-original Tucker extant before its sale, and was restored after that purchase.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

As in one of only a few survivors of a make that was gone before it even started, I’d call driving it on the highway and parking it in dirt lots staggering too.  But I’m poor and easily staggered!

If you aren't going to drive it, then it's no longer an automobile, but a piece of sculpture. Sorry, I can't afford sculpture that I have to house but not drive.

OK, full disclosure, I can't drive MOST of my cars right now, but that's not because I don't want to or plan to... ?

• Like 1

Yes, I know what you mean Joe, I’m just thinking of people who panic when someone approaches their “ordinary” car like it’s a priceless gem when a real gem and it’s owner have no issue with parking anywhere they choose.  I strongly agree with your driving philosophy, they should be driven.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, capngrog said:

What's a Tucker like that worth?

Cheers,

Grog

Good question Grog, makes me wonder how the insurance company feels about it being driven. There is a guy on Long Island who drives his Tucker all over the place who had his out in Pebble Beach as well, I am afraid to drive my new cars around here with all the self absorbed distracted drivers on the road.

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Good question Grog, makes me wonder how the insurance company feels about it being driven. There is a guy on Long Island who drives his Tucker all over the place who had his out in Pebble Beach as well, I am afraid to drive my new cars around here with all the self absorbed distracted drivers on the road.

They drive supercars all the time on the road and track.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Many people don’t realize in the car collection world Tucker’s are considered outstanding cars. Yup, you take it for a drive and it leaves you outstanding on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. What more do you want in a seven figure car? Reliability?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Many people don’t realize in the car collection world Tucker’s are considered outstanding cars. Yup, you take it for a drive and it leaves you outstanding on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. What more do you want in a seven figure car? Reliability?

Ed, are Tuckers so unreliable because they were

barely developed and unproven by the time the company

went out of business?  Did they undergo all the proving-ground

tests that mass manufacturers performed on their cars?

I have never worked on one, but have several friends that have done total Restorations on them, they comment that if you restore them properly, they won’t run. I think if your going to actually drive one, modifications are common for reliability. While many people like them, they don’t do anything for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always liked the Tucker, saw a few around (think James Melton had one) but not being a convertible, race car, or available with AC had little interest. Have had quite a few "rare" cars back when they were just used cars, remember turning a documented 1 of 1 Pontiac down because it wasn't interesting to me. Franly am amazed at the prices some of those "used cars" bring these days (remember a Miami dealer trying to unload a bunch of new Mustangs for $2995. GT-350s..

Today I prefer depreciated-out small luxury cars that are quick. Nice low-miles Crossfires and SLKs are under 10k these days but too new to be of interest here. There was a Caddy that is not in production now & never sold even 4k in a year that is approaching my price range. Did think about an Allante for a while but prefer my Reattae (younger when purchased but over 25 now).

My sig says everything necessary.

I drove this car while owned by the Cofers.  They believe in driving their cars.  Mr. Cofer insisted that all cars in the collection were ready to start and drive when ever he wanted to take one out, which was often.  I hope the new owner does the same.

Thanks Steve! Lots of smiles in the shop...........and I think its going to be a high we won't come down on for quite some time. Enjoyed or lunch last month, and I expect to see you soon at the Fall Meet. My Best, Ed.