Any recommendation for radiator mascot repair? Pierce Arrow needing bow & arrow

Mark Wetherbee

A good friend of mine bought the 1932 Pierce Arrow coupe from the Owls Head Auction and asked me if I knew anyone who could restore its Radiator Mascot. 

As you can see, it needs a bow and arrow replacement...

Does anyone know a reputable company that does that sort of work?

Thank you in advance,

Mark

B89D0FAD-5B4B-44DE-B660-9A5A4EA98890.jpeg

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Cool car.  Could you have him join the forum and posts pictures in the Pierce Arrow forum or the Pierce thread under CCCA?

Not sure who can help with Mascot, but someone will chime in soon I'm sure.

Here's the link to the auction listing with pix - looks like a nice car.

http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/1932-pierce-arrow-54

The bow and arrow are available from Blonder/Murray reproduction parts.  Make sure your friend joins the Pierce Arrow Society, he can then go to the Society website, there's an entire section on parts availability and who sells and services Pierce parts.

What's the condition of the rest of the car?  I heard that it needed some attention, can you post some shots of interior too please? 

Sorry I'm late to this party.  I agree completely with David (Trimacar) that the bow and arrow are available from Blonder-Murray in Gig Harbor, WA, and that they can be soldered or epoxied in place (use a jig to hold the archer firmly).  This archer seems to be in pretty decent condition, so I'd probably just replace the bow and arrow.  I caution against having an archer replated, however, as the grinding process invariably causes loss of a significant amount of detail.  In one's archer has bad plating, I recommend purchasing one of American Arrow's excellent quality stainless reproductions.

For my 1930, the quite-decent original archer (a different, helmeted archer used 1928-30) and cap are in my display case as their condition is not consistent with that of the restored car, and the car sports an American Arrow reproduction archer and cap.

And by all means, the new owner should join the Pierce-Arrow Society for superb technical support, excellent publications, wonderful activities, AND a free download of the Operation & Care (Owner's) Manual.  If he waits to join until September 1, one year's dues will get him membership for the balance of 2018 and all of 2019.  www.pierce-arrow.org  There's enough on the public (non-members) side of the site to keep him amused for a couple of hours, and much more on the members-only side of the site accessible by username and password once he joins.  The tech support is especially important for this orphan marque, as Pierce never produced a shop manual for any of its cars.  Unfortunately, the last Owners Manual with any mechanical care info is 1929, but since the 1929 and 1932 8-cylinder engines are almost identical, he should also download (free) a 1929 Operation & Care (owner's) Manual once he joins.

If it's a brass casting and the bow and arrow are available I wouldn't hesitate on trying to do the repair myself. Low temperature solder or as Trim suggests, epoxy or J-B Weld.

I love the rain slicker!

Living along the coast I tend to have favorite mascots for my Model T, I’m the guy who has a different one for each day on a tour, and this Mermaid is one I use frequently. She usually draws some comments and there have  been many times I have been tempted to get her a bikini top as a joke... It appears that I am not the first to think of such an idea.

Thank you again for your suggestions, I passed the link to this thread along to John and I hope he will chime in at some point.

B5AEB309-E33D-45FD-9BCA-D88F71846272.jpeg