REO oil filter, OE or not?

stvaughn

I’ve had two people describe the oil filter on a REO as a “pancake” filter. This does not appear to be what they are describing. It is not a spin on filter. It is attached to the base with three screws. Is it original or not?  Are filters available? I have been told that someone made spin on adapters at one time. Are they still available?

Steve

383F46B2-FABC-4DCA-9475-D6DC5B4D8026.thumb.jpeg.b093bd365faa66ce7396b9b84a098b71.jpeg2EFBB1DD-37F7-4AB8-AE5A-E81BA4A0867A.thumb.jpeg.e97bc428dec84274078039188a388edb.jpeg

Here is what a pancake oil filter looks like . Is your motor a 6 cylinder Reo , 8 cylinder Continental or a 8 cylinder Reo Royale motor ?  Because the oil adapter fits the Royale motor . You cut a hole on the bottom of the pancake filter and insert the new oil filter in the hole so it looks original . There is an aluminium adapter that holds the oil filter to the motor 

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Mark, it’s a 6 cylinder engine in a 1932 Model S. Based on your picture, my filter appears to be the same as the pancake filter just a lot taller. Perhaps an “improved” version? Please tell me more about adapting a new filter to the engine. 

Steve