Anyone Ever Sell a Car to a Buyer in Sweden?

I've only ever sold cars locally.  I have an offer on my 1965 Impala from a buyer in Sweden.  He says he'll wire the money to a shipping company in Elizabeth NJ (I've looked up the company, but don't know if it's appropriate to list it here) and they'll pay me cash when I drop off the car at their location in the port.  Has anyone on the forum ever done this before?  I'm a little worried about being in Elizabeth, especially by the port, with a large sum of cash on me.  If I go, I'd have at least one friend who would follow me and then drive me home.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I think that you're wise to be cautious about this transaction.  Before I'd go further, I'd do a bit of research on the shipping company.  First try an internet search which may reveal some history of the company, and perhaps, even some testimony (+/-0) from previous customers.  After your research, contact the company (I'd give 'em a phone call) and see what your "gut" tells you.  Ask them about their history of similar transactions and whether or not you could contact previous customers.  Don't forget U.S. Customs in all of this, because in addition to what I'm sure will be a pile of required paperwork, they may be able to give you an assessment of the shipping company.  If Elizabeth, N.J. has a Port Authority, a call to them may also be in order.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,

Grog

Sweden is a huge market for popular cars from the USA. This is done so frequently that there will be nothing new in your transaction. Talk to your bank about transfer of funds. I doubt you will have to walk around town toting a White Castle hamburger bag full of 100 dollar bills. GLWS.     -    CC 

I sold to Norway- next to Sweden. Buyer used paypal and paid the fees. On another occasion, sold to Italy and money was wired to my Wells Fargo bank acct. I suggest the wiring of funds and clear, before accepting cash up there. It is rough up there.

and finally, I NEVER deliver cars to ports. If he wants to ship it, let him get a tow truck driver to take it to the port. His cost and problem- not yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the other side. I bought few cars in US and got them transported to Europe. Always wired the money to seller, and then organised company to pick the car at his location and move it to port.

Making money transfer in port seems "a little" strange to me.

Edited by filozof97 (see edit history)

I have sold several cars to European countries. Their vintage car market is pretty strong. My cars have gone to Germany, Norway & Australia without a hitch.

I have not had to deliver the cars to any port. I make it very clear to the buyer that however they need to make it happen, I will only accept cash in my driveway. Sometimes this makes the transaction take a few more days logistically but I don't mind, it works and it's safe. Every time I've sold to that market I've had a transport driver show up with that cash. Then I give him the title and car. Simple.

Greg

I sold my 56’ Buick to a gentleman in Sweden last year. He used a buyer that came to my house, inspected  car and we went for a ride. He gave me cash deposit to hold the car and came back within 3 days with the rest of cash and we went to a notary to transfer the paperwork.

Matt

Oh yeah. You surely want to wonder around the Elizabeth docks with a bag of cash. I might suggest a walk about in the nearby garden spot of the garden state, Newark, with your bag-0-bucks. Yaw'll be carefull now. Heah......bob

Always proceed with caution. But at the same time, it might be the buyers first experience too! I don't see the value of the port being a middle man for the funds, but perhaps that what someone recommended to him. I would want a wire myself, they are fairly fool proof from my understanding, it's the only "unusual" way we accept payment in the new auto industry.

I have sent over 20 cars to Sweden through Port Elizabeth. Peter, the Russian, at the warehouse is a great big PIA.

All my transactions have been smooth; money, paperwork, services. Good bunch of car lovers there.

Bernie

14 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

I sold my 56’ Buick to a gentleman in Sweden last year. He used a buyer that came to my house, inspected  car and we went for a ride. He gave me cash deposit to hold the car and came back within 3 days with the rest of cash and we went to a notary to transfer the paperwork.

Matt

Sold my 57 Chev to a person in Sweden. Sold it locally to person that was arranging the shipping. He give me the cash and drove off.

Best choice is to have the buyer have a local buyer inspect the car and purchase it. He would then arrange shipping. Seems the buyer would want to have an inspection to assure a good purchase. Proceed with caution.

Wish I could give a reference for a buyer that would handle transaction.

Edited by stakeside
E (see edit history)

Thanks for all the good advice;  I'm heeding it.  I called up the shipping company.  The woman I spoke to was very nice.  She told me that they worked with the potential buyer before.  She explained that they could pick up the car from my home and that they could wire the money to me.  She agreed with me that it's a bad idea to pick up a large amount of cash near the docks. The woman also explained that their company attends Hershey and Carlisle and ships cars purchased by overseas buyers directly from these meets to the port and on to the foreign countries.  I looked in last year's Hershey program and it lists a vendor space for this company.

When I spoke to the potential buyer later in the day, I told him that if he wants the car, he has to arrange for pick up from my house for delivery to the port.  He tried to negotiate a lower price to cover the towing cost, but I refused.  He said he'll look into this and get back to me.  I think he might be a dealer and is trying to protect his profit margin by saving on the towing cost.  I understand this, but I'm not paying for the towing either.

While all this was happening, a local person came to see the car and said he really liked it.  His wife was with him and she liked it.  He wasn't ready to make a deal just yet.  I told him about the potential sale to Sweden, but that didn't speed him up.

I'll post a further update when things move along.  Thanks again for the great insights and advice. 

• Like 2

I just sold a 1911 Hupmobile to Switzerland.  He wired the money to my bank account, I prepared the car for shipping (removing all brass and putting under seat etc.) and even took industrial stretch wrap and wrapped the car up for the trip.

It, too, was going to New Jersey port to be put in a container.

Then, the transport company shows up with an open roll back truck.  I was upset, tried to call buyer, but he only spoke French and I only spoke English.  Finally gave up and the guy took it.

Got to the port, the trip had torn most of wrap off, seats laying on floor, a mess. 

If your car is nice, make sure they specify enclosed transport to port....

• 3 weeks later...

The shipping company picked up the car today.  I received the wire transfer last week.  Once it cleared, I forwarded the paperwork to the shipping company and they arranged the pick up.  I photographed the car before it went on the flatbed and once it was on the flatbed.  I sent the photos to the buyer via email.  This was relatively painless.  

• Like 2