Doing dumb things, who has done this?

countrytravler

4 minutes ago, ragtop4two said:

I haven't done it myself but heard of it being done many times. Also it took me a minute to realize the T was missing in theatre, I was wondering what a drive in heater was

No....I believe he MEANT heater. Some Michigan drive-ins had heaters for cold nights.

8 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

No....I believe he MEANT heater. Some Michigan drive-ins had heaters for cold nights.

I wasn't aware of these heaters so I googled it and of course you are right again. The drive in I went to here in Ontario Canada never had them

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tripwire said:

In the first picture with the Chevy I'm wondering why the speakers are on the outside of the door?

Wes in VT

It's photoshop. Leaving a drive-in theater and forgot to put the speakers back on the stand. Young people would not know what we're talking about. So you must be young. LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpage said:

Never saw that but 2 weeks ago I saw a guy drive off with the fuel nozzle still in the tank!

Mate did something similar about 30 years ago, drove off but the fuel line caught in his bumper. Almost pulled the pump off its mounting.

32 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The drive-in theater near me is packed on some

summer evenings.  And it's filled with high-schoolers.

So don't think that drive-ins are unrecognizable to

today's movie-goers!

Very few are around compared to years ago. Like drag strips. Only a few survived the chopping block.

8 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I did in 1968 with my moms 59 Chev wagon. I was at the drive-in during winter and I forgot the heater that was in the back window. Later on, in years, they added heaters so they could stay open year round.

Grand River Drive in Farmington MI.

13995451_1148292651909581_6665712075235670312_o.jpg

large (1).jpg

large (2).jpg

large.jpg

120469626-1024x1024.jpg

170615856-1024x1024.jpg

200511156-001-1024x1024.jpg

Never pulled out a speaker and our drive-in didn't have heaters - always closed during the winter.  Each row had berms to point your car up toward the screen.  They were pretty steep - some cars might have had trouble climbing them when they were covered with ice and snow.  Sometimes the film would break and everyone would honk their horns until it was spliced and running again - quite the cacophony.  I do remember Hannie Caulder - not a bad movie.

1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

Very few are around compared to years ago. Like drag strips. Only a few survived the chopping block.

Yup.  Once in a while, our drive-in had all-nighters when they showed four or so movies.  One of my fond childhood memories is going to one with my grandma and aunt.  We had a couple grocery bags of junk food and I was in my jammies.  I made it through maybe 1-1/2 films before falling asleep in the backseat.  Woke up in my bed the next morning - still don't know who carried me there.  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The drive-in theater near me is packed on some

summer evenings.  And it's filled with high-schoolers.

So don't think that drive-ins are unrecognizable to

today's movie-goers!

Probably still a "passion pit" like ours was when I was a teenager...MANY years ago!  ?

• Like 1

I had read much of drive-in movies' decline,

so I was pleased (and quite amazed) to see it

so packed--and with teen-agers.

The owner told me not long ago that the cost

of renting a top-notch film consumes almost all

of his gate receipts.  They are THAT expensive,

regretfully.   He has told that fact to the

movie-goers, and therefore he urges everyone

to patronize his concession stand.  His concession

stand is what keeps him in business.

1 hour ago, countrytravler said:

There are 4 still playing movies within 30 minutes of me. One with a recently added second screen. Bob

In 1977, I took my date to a movie at the drive in theater using my 1956 Studebaker President.   The movie was a waste of time and about half way through my date and I decided to leave.   I fired up the V8, put the car in gear, hit the gas, the car hesitated for a moment, and then a loud crashing sound.  I had forgotten to take the speaker off of the right rear door window.  When I looked in the back seat it was covered with broken window glass along with the speaker.  My date kept the drive in theater speaker - hung it on her bedroom wall like trophy.   I got the humiliation along with the privilege of paying a new door window. 

1956 President.jpg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, countrytravler said:

It's photoshop. Leaving a drive-in theater and forgot to put the speakers back on the stand. Young people would not know what we're talking about. So you must be young. LOL

Yup, photoshop indeed, otherwise the speakers would be on the inside of the car as Wes speculated.

Spent way too much time at our local Drive In. Dad advertised his tire shop there so we always had a stack of passes. One night in the middle of a movie it got so foggy you could not see the screen. The proprietor announced that anyone leaving would have their money refunded. Almost no one left...hmmmm

As kids we used to sneak in the back gate and sit in the outdoor seats that were right in front of the projection booth.

We were weary went we went into the concession stand that we would get thrown out because we didn't have a ticket.

Now after all these years I realise that they didn't mind as long as we spent money at the concession stand.

My conscience in now at peace!

?️

18 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I don't consider myself young and back in the day when I spent many Saturday nights at the Sunset Drive-in here in Mallets Bay we always hung the speaker so it pointed inside the car, like in the photo below,  not pointed at the car next to us. 

Maybe they did things differently where you are.  I don't know. 

I've seen people drive away with these things still on the door but most didn't get too far since the ones around here were armored like a phone booth cord.  Gas pump nozzles and hoses are another story those don't put up much of a fight and will cling to the car for a long distance.

Wes in VT

speaker.jpg

5 hours ago, tripwire said:

I don't consider myself young and back in the day when I spent many Saturday nights at the Sunset Drive-in here in Mallets Bay we always hung the speaker so it pointed inside the car, like in the photo below,  not pointed at the car next to us. 

Maybe they did things differently where you are.  I don't know. 

I've seen people drive away with these things still on the door but most didn't get too far since the ones around here were armored like a phone booth cord.  Gas pump nozzles and hoses are another story those don't put up much of a fight and will cling to the car for a long distance.

Wes in VT

speaker.jpg

Dang, you ARE old if you remember drive-in speakers AND phone booths!  ?  Just kidding - I remember 'em too.  And yeah, we hung the speaker on the inside.  If there wasn't a car next to us, we'd park halfway between the posts and hang a speaker on each side - drive-in stereo!

• Haha 1