One More Question

creed227

Hello All

I have one more question.  If I can get a good purchase on a vintage 1950's car but it has a cracked and marked up origional steering wheen and  horn ring,  can a restoration shop recast or repair the steering wheel to its new and original condition? Not sure if it can be done as I want the steering wheel and horn ring to look like it was new when the car new.  sorry for the dumb questions but just wanted to know before I would purchase a car that would have such a problem. 

Thanks 

Chris  

If it's a 1950s vintage there are probably "new old stock" steering wheels available. As Ben points out, there are companies that will restore your wheel. I never had one done so I can't comment on the cost. What vehicle are you talking about? 

The effort and cost to repair the wheel depends on how bad it is.  If the cracks are relatively small, it's best to grind them out and fill with JB Weld or similar epoxy paste before repainting.  If the damage is significant, there are several vendors who can repair and even recast an entire wheel.  The results I've seen are phenomenal from these vendors, but don't expect a lot of change back from a $1,000 bill.

The short answer, as already stated, is YES! 

Some guys have been known to do the restore themselves.  There are plenty of YouiTube vids out there on this.  I am certain that a google search on automobile steering wheel restoration will yield more info than you care to/can read!

25 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

For a better answer, please identify the year, make and model of the car. A photo of the steering wheel would also be helpful.

He hasn't bought one yet. He's asking that if he finds a car he likes that needs the wheel repaired, is it possible.

Generally speaking run of the mill 50's steering wheels typically can be self repaired and painted and will look quite presentable. The other side of the coin is they typically can be recast at a cost up to around $1000. Horn rings typically can be re-chromed. Last one I had done was at a cost of $400. Your experience may vary depending on the car, condition of same, your motivation, abilities and the depth of your pockets................Bob

As you are new to the hobby, perhaps you should consider a visit to Hershey October 11th, 12th and 13th and get a glimpse of what the world of parts is really like for antique cars.  There you will find thousands of vendors selling car parts for just about every make, model and year.  On a small scale is Carlisle, PA the week before.  Both are wonderful learning experiences that also offer cars for sale which will broaden your horizons as to what is available.  

If you are in another part of the country, know that there are other swap meets that can give you a great education as well.

Take your time in purchasing and be very careful with that first purchase.  It can be very rewarding.  But, issues like hidden rust, bad mechanicals, etc. can be an expensive mistake.