Tank is mounted on the 53

john hess

Got the sending unit installed after some frustration. Old unit did not have screen on pickup line. New unit has screen and that kept getting caught on inside baffle when trying to locate pickup line on tabs inside tank. Kinda hard to feel when you are working in the 'blind'. Other than that, install went well. Next on list, hook up tank and get rid of temp tank in trunk!!

IMG_20180820_181100200.jpg

IMG_20180820_190500501.jpg

• Like 1

Do you still have the old sender?  If so keep it handy.  I have worked on many Pontiac gas tanks and sending units and I found that some replacement senders are not good and I had to get my original unit rebuilt.  Also make sure it is grounded!

Thanks. Unfortunately in my case, I neglected to put this piece on the wall for reference. I have since learned to keep all parts, rusted hulksor not, for reference and measurements. At the time, this particular piece went to the scrap pile. Won't do that again.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, john hess said:

Old unit did not have screen on pickup line.

Mine didn't either....I see you got the unit in so my other post is irrelevant. Of all the things I could get the tank was one I couldn't. Mine was quite holey but they were able to save it. Do I see a rubber block on one side of the tank strap? Mine was the same but I assumed the other had gone missing so I replaced both. Looking awesome John! Did you get your exhaust from Classic? How'd it fit? I had to get the local muffler shop to copy my original. Classic kinda messed up the bends and the 3 foot muffler wasn't fitting right. It fits perfect now. 

Hi Mark. Had to kinda laugh when I saw your issue with the exhaust a couple of weeks ago. Got mine from the same place. Same issue. Same bends off. His bender must need recalculated. Your picture could have well been of my frame also !!!. Did the same thing you did. Went to the local shop and did 2 simple tweaks. Fits fine now.    As to the tank strap rubber, only one you see was what was on mine. They are for tank vibration. Manual says add a second one as needed. Apparently mine only needed 1.      I did get the tank hooked up and running. No more temp tank in trunk !       John

Hi back John. It's really neat to be able to see pics of another car like mine. I could tell by that exhaust bend over the rear axle it was the same supplier. The shop couldn't tweak the supplied pipe but they made a new one for $25 and that's decent. Did you get those brake lines pre-bent? I did and 2 lines were bent incorrect and too long. I pre-bent them and got an old mechanic to cut and flare. I don't trust my flaring. I've been showing my Star Chief off at the shows and you had said you were jealous.....I'm jealous how good yours looks! Good Job! Mark

All lines were ordered from CPR if I remember. But In Line Tube was the manufacturer. Brake lines fit, but fuel line is a little too long at the tank hook up. Might cut and flare that later.     Right now, I'm installing doors, again,.... Need to have them on to finish body bolt shimming. Then some sand blast and epoxy primer before I send it to paint shop. I'm doing as much as I can to keep my barn build budget down. Anxious for paint cause I have all of the exterior chrome back from Librandi just waiting to get back on the car!!

IMG_20180323_171059942.jpg

IMG_20180323_171023159.jpg

Yes I remember now....my brake lines were through CPR from Inline. I elected to bend my own fuel line for $25 and was quite surprised how well it came out. Oh my how I love chrome!! Did you get your steering wheel done? I had Dennis Crooks a while back quote around $1,000 for a total restore. Decided to buy a $20 cover instead. This winter (which starts around November) I hope to do the headliner/windlace and carpet. It took me longer than anticipated to get it on the road and wanted to enjoy it before the snow started flying again. Anxiously waiting for pics! 

Mark