Help identifying a 1901 merry olds

Mrbob1980

Hello I’m new to the club and I’m planning on restoring this merry olds with my boy (father and son project)

I’d Like as little help identifying this 1901 merry olds replica, it has the Clinton engine I believe. Just picked it up so don’t know too much about it.

Im not sure about scale size , I guess there were a few different manufacturers that built these.

p.s. I need a canvas top for it anyone know where I can find one?

FDA07C14-AF90-413C-B208-53F858DBA3C8.jpeg

365AAF53-C835-4680-9887-3B5B68C86AFA.jpeg

CA9366B5-399D-441C-8E95-7D319B0949AF.jpeg

7969FC2D-F5F4-4FA1-9247-B0D0419E2D38.jpeg

Can't see well but it looks like the manufacturers tag is on the back of the seat?  These were made by several companies but in this "pick-up" version I only think by one.  I suspect this came out of Ft. Lauderdale. We do have many brochures in our library (AACA Library) on replicas.  I doubt you are going to find any standard parts but this should be an easy project.  The top I am positive is one that you will have to make yourself.  Given that some of them were a bit flimsy you have a bit of leeway but still a fairly easy process to do.  Please do not add a tan canvas to the top...it should be black in closer keeping with the original.

Thank you for your reply.

today I cleaned out the carburetor and started tuning it .

Not sure yet I’ll have to confirm tomorrow but when I’m putting it in gear I’m getting some grinding,  and my idle is purity low.

i have the original owner manual and it says there should be a automatic clutch.

i was wondering if anyone had a picture of the automatic clutch so I can confirm I have one.

it seems like it’s always in gaged.

i have included a picture of my setup 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. Cool project. Shame Joe Merli is no longer with us because even though he dealt mostly in the "real deal" CDO, he understood these too.

I think finding someone familiar with go-karts is your best bet on the clutch and other drivetrain issues. Your boy will have a ball with this thing once it's sorted out.

Yes we are having a good time with it.

I fixed the clutch problem ,

i removed the clutch, took it apart and cleaned it very well. 

I cut a small piece of the spring so I could shorten it so the clutch would not engage so easily,I also sanded everything inside the clutch with fine sandpaper .

When I reassembled the clutch I lubed the shaft just a little.

That did the trick ?

Now we are cruzing around with it have a grand old time, practically everyone is stopping and taking pictures of it everywhere we go.

I had a hard time adjusting the carb it took a few days to get it dialed in. I’m not a small engine expert. But basically turned all adjustment screws in all the was and turned them out two turns for a basic start. The small 1/4 turn adjustments one at a time till I was happy with it. 

I think that would probably work for all small engines

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...