39 Buick Special Gas Tank

LindaMcFarland

We just recently purchased a 1939 Buick Special 40/46C Convertible.  But the gas tank is leaking and after 3 fixes with everything imaginable we really want to purchase a new one or one that doesn't leak.

Any help someone can provide would be helpful.

We have searched multiple websites but to no avail.

We are to the point where we will probably have to have one fabricated.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

All replies are welcome.

Thanks.

Linda,

There are also no reproductions made for 1937 or 1938 Buick Specials or Centurys. I don't know the dimensions of a 1939 Buick Special fuel tank but for 1937 and 1938 Buick Specials or Centurys, there are some reproduction tanks that are close. I suggest you measure the one you have and then do some searching on the Tanks, Inc. website. I would suggest first looking at similar year Chevrolets. If they are not similar, look at some other years.

For example, a 1972 Nova fuel tank is a suitable replacement for a 1937 or 1938 Buick Special or Century. That tank is very close in size but the fuel filler pipe is not in the same location. One of those can be used by simply relocating the fuel filler pipe. Another that is close to 1937 or 1938 Special or Century tanks and can also be used by relocating the fuel filler pipe is a 1969 Camaro or Firebird tank.

Is your convertible a running driving car or a project? I have a tank with a flaw that I had restored for my 1939 Special convertible coupe project. A place in Sacramento, California cleaned, straightened, and repaired the tank including coatings on the inside and outside and a lifetime warranty. Problem, when they soldered the filler neck back on they got the angle wrong and it touched the frame when we put it in. A simple fix would involve making a dent in the frame or the filler neck but my frame is powder coated  and I am just too fussy for that solution. I had acquired a parts car that had a better tank than even the repaired one so I used that.

That is the long way around to telling you that the tank is for sale, $300 as is, it looks brand new. We live in Rainier, Oregon 97048. Can take some pictures if you have any further interest. Also have a lot of 1939 Special parts including a parts convertible as well as a parts sedan. Feel free to inquire about any parts you may need, I am not a parts reseller but a hobbyist with surplus parts that I would like to see back in use. Rush orders are not part of my operation.

Thanks, Bob H

• Like 1

I used a brand new 1939 Chevrolet gas tank from Tanks, Inc in my car -just installed backwards as the filler neck is on the opposite side.  Physically, a perfect fit.  Just had to adjust the filler neck and run the sending unit line around the back instead of from the top.  Nobody other than 1939 experts would even know it wasn't made that way originally.

• 10 months later...

I have a 1939 4 door Pontiac silver streak 6 cylinder with fill cap on rear passenger fender and can’t find gas tank for. Can you advise if that’s what you have that you placed Chevy tank backwards in? Can you tell me exactly what one you used? 

duane.shepard@yahoo.com