1920 Big Six

dl456

If you find out, please post, as I would like the information for my records.

In the meantime, Stromberg released a model LS-2 for the 1919~1924 Big Six. It was calibrated with a 1.125 inch venturi. (Opinion) the very worst Stromberg is greatly superior to the very best Penberthy.

Jon.

Hello Jon,

I have a LS-2 on my Special six (288 CI) and I have an extra. I assumed the big six (354 CI) would need something in the range of

1.75" venturi.  I would like to hear your thoughts on recommended throat size and best carb. for touring.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis - the Special Six used a smaller internal venturi.

I am a firm believer that one should pay attention to the engineers. And the Stromberg engineers recommended the LS-2 with the 1 1/8 inch venturi for the Big Six.

The Penberthy would probably need to be much larger, as they were not overly efficient.

Jon.

The parts book list the ls2 stromberg for only eh (special six)models from 20 to 22 and the ball and ball for the eg(big six) in the same years. Owners and shop manuals confirm the same. If you need it I also have the adjustment and repair procedures for both carbs

Thanks for the comments. My manual says the same. Listing the model of the Stromberg as LS-2 for the EH but omitting the 

model of the Penberthy for the big six.

Anybody have a SV-29 to measure the throat size?

Jon,

What are your major issues with the Penberthy? 

Can you recommend a good replacement?

I like to keep things original but will make some compromises for reliability and performance.

I have a Rayfield running good  on my Mitchell after considerable tweeking. Not an impressive or easy to understand carb.

Dennis

Factory equipment for the Big Six (as far back as I have material):

1923 Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-12

1924 Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-12

1925 (early production) Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-14

1925 (late production) Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-29

Factory SERVICE carburetor

1923 Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-29

1924 Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-29

1925 (early production) Penberthy (Ball & Ball) SV-29

AFTERMARKET carburetor recommendation by Stromberg:

1919~1924 LS-2 with 1 1/8 main venturi.

Think of the physical designation of a carburetor model the way you would a tire.

15 inch tire

165-75R15 (Volkswagen Beetle)

235-75R15 (Ford 1/2 ton truck)

other

Stromberg LS-2 carburetor

1 1/32 inch venturi - Studebaker Special Six

1 1/8 inch venturi - Studebaker Big Six 

EDIT: this link for a different model of Stromberg should further explain external/internal carburetor sizes:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Stromberg_SF_carburetors.htm

And to your final question:

Quote Dennis: "Jon,

What are your major issues with the Penberthy? 

Can you recommend a good replacement?

I like to keep things original but will make some compromises for reliability and performance.

I have a Rayfield running good  on my Mitchell after considerable tweeking. Not an impressive or easy to understand carb."

End quote

I once hauled in a pasture of hay using a Toyota pickup, and it got the job done. The next cutting, we used a Ford 2-ton flatbed. It also got the job done.......................better ;)

I made the comment about the aftermarket LS-2 as my professional opinion is that the Strombergs WERE better carbs than the Ball & Ball design (even Carter couldn't make the Ball & Ball design work well after they bought the rights to the design!). Plus, in 51 years I have been unable to find ANY information on the early (pre-1923) Ball & Ball Studebaker carbs, and so far, no one has posted any in this thread; and there are at least some new parts available for the Strombergs, as far as I am aware, nothing for the Ball & Ball units.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I am digesting this info. and pretty sure I get it. The comment about tires and the link puts things in a clear perspective.

Dennis

PS: We were lucky enough to bail for a farmer that bought a large implement trailer about 12 inches off the ground. You could stack 5 high (155 bales)

and barely break a sweat. Better than a Toyota or a Ford. Those were the days!

Thanks Ken,

Pictures would be great.

I had the car running fair yesterday. Not ready for prime time. It has an adaptor and a Carter B&B on it now.

Throttle linkage from the steering sector is missing and the carb. is sitting at on odd angle making it near impossible 

to hook things up correctly.

I also need a distributor cap and rotor for Remy 358-A . Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis