Sign in to follow this  
Yamil Charif

Wire Harness

Your best bet is Rhode Island Wiring to get the complete wiring harnesses to keep the vehicle original.  They use the correct wire size for each circuit with original color codes making it easy to install and connect each component.  There are other providers of wiring, but I found them very reliable and helpful to get the right harnesses and once installed everything works!   Call them  (401) 789-1955 and discuss it with them.  They also have the wiring diagram for your vehicle.  Things like the battery cables you can get from sources listed in the club's site, and certainly Boos Harrel Lincoln can provide such.  Correct ground battery cable is important and to properly attach, as well as the 00 ga. main battery cable connecting to the starter solenoid.  When I purchased my '41 it had a battery disconnect switch, but I removed it as theer was a fractional voltage drop using it and with 6 volt systems you need every volt to operate the vehicle.  I also suggest you install an alternator to keep the battery charged. Powergen has them and other distributors do that are built into the original generator case to make them authentic.  Alternators will charge the battery to full at idle speeds, the old generators won't.  Good luck with it all!

I used Narragansett for my '41 and was very happy with the quality of the harnesses, accuracy of color coding, and the helpful wiring diagrams. I got a little stumped with connections to the circuit breaker panel, and can help with that if you need it. Seems like it will never come together, but it magically does and everything works. I wonder if Narragansett and Rhode Island use the same maker.

I did some research before I bought wiring looms.  At the time  Narragansett was having some issues, don't remember exactly.  Rhode Island Wire has large rolls of wire of different gauges with proper color coding.  They told me they have the exact patterns and they actually make the looms as originally  provided with a machine binding around the conductors.  I think  you can request samples from either one to see what you like.  The main thing is to have the proper color code on each wire so you know where to connect it on each end.  Remember there are differences in the vehicles from types of bodies and features.  Some don't have overdrive, but if you do you need certain wiring to make it work.  Good luck!

I visited both Rhode Island and Narraganset  back in 198x. They both wrapped the wire with the correct color and tracer, soldered the ends on all wires and then used original specifications to cut the wires to the correct length and than enclosed the harness in the correct outer covering. I would say that the quality of Narragansett wiring is slightly higher than Rhode Island, but you could not go wrong with either of them. I bought the harness that I needed from Narragansett.

Side note: the owners are related and competitive.