Remove body from REO advice needed

stvaughn

I have a 1932 REO sedan and I want to lift the body off the frame to better repair and restore the frame.  The body and interior are in good shape so I don't want to damage anything. What suggestions do you have other than get lots of help?

Steve

IMG_3943.jpg

Remove sidemount(s), hood, rad support rods. front floor board, front toe board, disconnect body wiring from frame/engine compartment, remove all body bolts, disconnect all instrument connections from engine compartment.  Disconnect the rear fenders from running board apron and running board, remove trunk and rack.

With door windows down, close doors and insert padded 2x8 across front and rear doors.  Lift/hoist body with whatever equipment you have.

That looks like a very nice car.  What problems with the frame do you have that need repair?  Is the body channeled over the frame like my 32 Dodge Brothers, or does it rest on the top of the frame rails.  Unless your frame really needs attention, lifting the body is a lot of work.

• Like 1

Tinindian and Taylor made have given very good suggestions . I own a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria I had no choice but to remove the body from the frame as all my wood sills were rotted out . Remember you have to put it back on the frame and I have been told it is an art to get everything to line back up by a fellow who owns the exact car I own .

Here is a few pictures 

http://reoforum.net/thread/88/mark-gregorys-victoria-restoration-thread

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Taylormade said:

That looks like a very nice car.  What problems with the frame do you have that need repair?  Is the body channeled over the frame like my 32 Dodge Brothers, or does it rest on the top of the frame rails.  Unless your frame really needs attention, lifting the body is a lot of work.

Taylormade,

The body and fenders are an older restoration and in good shape. The body belt line is brown and the fenders are black and dull. I think it would look better if the fenders matched the belt line. The frame and running gear have all the rust/ grease/grime/ wear and tear that has accumulated over 86 years and I would like the undercarriage to look as good as the topside. I haven’t inspected the wood framing thoroughly yet but it appears to be in good condition. Tinindian’s suggestion sounds like a good way but I want to make sure I don’t “spring” anything out of shape. I would rather lift from the bottom just to be safe. I have a two post auto lift to help with lifting the body. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Steve

I see the problem.  My car’s body was channeled over the frame and it was necessary to remove the running board splash pans and a metal strip that held captive bolts that attached to the frame.  I can’t tell if this is the case with your car.  I know my 29 Plymouth’s body sat on the top of the frame, but by 1932 many cars had the body channeled for a lower, sleeker look.  At any rate, we lifted the body off using a floor lift, placing the support pads under the door hinges.  Not ideal, but it was the only way we could figure out how to do it.  We could have done it with four or five guys muscling it off - but then you have to put it somewhere, this without scratching the paint.  I was lucky, as Dodge Brothers bodies were all steel, with no wood sills or framework.  If, as Mark Gregory states, your  Reo has a wood frame work, you will have to be very careful as any rotten wood could cause the body to twist or sag when removed from the support of the frame.  I’d go very slowly, checking the body as you go.  If the wood needs replacing, you’re probably going to loose that nice paint job on the body.  Make note of any and all body shims and keep them plainly marked, as they will determine the door hang and clearance.  Since they need painting, take all four fenders off first.  Keep track of fender welt and other welting around the running boards.  Obviously, remove the hood, the running boards, the front and back lights and anything attached to the frame as Tinindian points put.

Personally, I would remove the fenders, the running boards and the running board splash pans and take a good look at the frame.  If the wood in the body is good, you could mask off and protect the body and restore the frame with the body on.  I know you won’t get the area on top of the frame, but if it appears to not be too corroded you may want to take that route.  Good luck with your project!

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Just lift it 4-6 inches over the frame and don’t move it. If you move it the doors may never shut again.

I don't think I would lift any body thru the windows with the doors closed.

Padded 2Xs might be enough if they are steel, but I would opt to a 4X of some sort if you use wood.

But again, doors open or removed.

While I understand that you want to clean the chassis, that seems like a lot of work on such a nice looking car.

Is there any way of jacking the car up and getting in there with a pressure washer?

Messy but easier.

You have less chance of springing anything by lifting from the top than from underneath.  Make sure each body shim is as it was or you will have an alignment problem.

You have a two post lift. Use it to lift the car. Put on your favorite tunes then a pair of gloves then some eye protection. Spend a couple of hours, but no more, scraping, cleaning, degreasing. Sit down with your favorite drink and admire what you have accomplished. Call your wife (or whoever) out to show them how nice it's starting to look. Enjoy the praise. Repeat as needed until all is looking good. Apply paint as needed or desired. Sit down and admire your work as you enjoy a special glass of your favorite beverage and a good cigar.

Lower your car and do a walk around. Note how all the margins still match and how nicely the doors close.

Call your friends over and invite them to look under your now beautiful car.

Sit down with them and enjoy your favorite beverages......................Bob

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JFranklin said:

If you must (& I don't recommend it) lift the body, do it with the doors on or you risk some major damage.

Tinindian suggested to have the doors close and lift thru the windows.

I may be wrong as nobody has ever educated me on this, but I always lift from the body with the doors open or removed.

I guess I can understand to not remove the doors, but would not lifting thru the windows tend to throw the doors out of alignment?

I would think that the weight of the body would jamb the doors upward against the openings.

As a side note being a Mopar guy I have never lifted a body with wooden framing, I guess that could throw in a whole other set of things to consider.

My neighbor has a 33 Buick and he lifted the body with the doors open, however part of his project included fabricating all steel door AND body frames after he put the body back down.