Jump to content

Saw this VW Beetle at the store today....


Recommended Posts

Remember when you drove down the street and there was at least one VW Beetle parked at each block? They were EVERYWHERE! There was even a game called, "slug-a-bug" where if you spotted one first and said, "slug-a-bug", you got to slug the other person on the shoulder. (What can I say? I grew up in Detroit.) Well, now, VW Beetles are not so prevalent and it is kinda rare to see one. Here is one with a newer one in the background....

Picture 27509.jpg

Picture 27507.jpg

Picture 27506.jpg

Picture 27505.jpg

Picture 27504.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 There was even a game called, "slug-a-bug" where if you spotted one first and said, "slug-a-bug", you got to slug the other person on the shoulder. (What can I say? I grew up in Detroit.) 

 

Where I grew up (New Jersey, what can I say?) we called the game "PUNCH-A-BUGGY"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pont35cpe said:

Super Beetle? with nurf bars.. Double Slug

Glad we don't play that game anymore. I don't think my honey would appreciate the slug to her shoulder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Glad we don't play that game anymore. I don't think my honey would appreciate the slug to her shoulder.

John, you `ve got to let "Honey" win once in awhile. Women are bad about getting even after you go to sleep..

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

John, you `ve got to let "Honey" win once in awhile. Women are bad about getting even after you go to sleep..

Oh, she wins quite a bit these days. Since she has been with me, she can spot most MoPars and a LOT of other makes. She's gettin' pretty good. If she spots it first, she will say, "I am surprised I saw it before you". My retort is usually something like, "I was concentrating on driving."

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First car I owned was a used '64 VW. Lots of fun, not fast in fact it's 36HP Engine was a challenge to get up to speed when getting on to Highways.

One of my cars that I have now is a '74 VW-Porsche 90HP and a blast to drive. The saying we have is it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow.

 

Punch Buggy (Color) No Punch Backs, is what the kids say here.

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We called "Padidal"  I owned a 61 for a short time in the winter of 1969 and with no heat and a brake pedal that stuck on when the temp was under 25 degrees or so(fun stopping for sure) I go rid of it quick. sold it for $75 and the people who bought it called wanting their money back because the front suspension was worn out. Laughed and hung up the phone.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one with the gas heater in the front "trunk".  When you turned it on, the noise was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.  Additionally, the fumes were unbelievable.  I'm sure it wasn't good for you, but they worked well.  I'm also sure there were a few that exploded or caught the car on fire.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom had one, '68 in late 90s/ early 00s. I remember that it was incredibly loud. I remember that it was quite often broken. And I also remember, that my dad found a wasp nest in the garage. As removing it could be quite dangerous, he decided to gas the insects - he left the motor running for 3 hours in a closed garage.

Once, my mom took the car to go to the hospital in another town, for a night shift. She refueled the car, drove about 3 km from the station and the car has stalled. Nothing unusual with that bug.  Dad came on the motorcycle  - inspected the VW and everything seemed fine. Then, he connected the Beetle's fuel line to the carb of his bike. Started the motor... and in around 30 seconds the motor stalled. Now, that's the fuel quality!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Oh, she wins quite a bit these days. Since she has been with me, she can spot most MoPars and a LOT of other makes. She's gettin' pretty good. If she spots it first, she will say, "I am surprised I saw it before you". My retort is usually something like, "I was concentrating on driving."

Liar !  “Concentrating on driving” 

 

I had. A 64 yellow convertible.  We used to put the top down, fill the area where it folded with snow balls. Put four or five of us in it and drive  down the middle of the quad at Illinois State Univ throwing snow balls at everyone.  Usually made it one time and had to get out of there before the cops showed up 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a 1972 Super Beetle.  I bought a new Green with Tan interior 72 Super Beetle from Mountain State Motors in Denver, CO when I first when into the Air Force and in training at Lowry AFB.

 

I believe the 72 was the only year to have both that style tail lights and a rear deck lid with 4 rows of vents at the top.  71 had that style tail lights and two rows of longer vents in the rear deck lid while1973 had round tail lights and the 4 rows of vents in the rear deck lid.

 

I also had a 36 HP 1960 VW when I was in college.  As I recall that was the last year of the 36 HP engine in a Beetle.  Top speed was 55 mph unless I was drafting behind a semi, then I could do 70 mph.

 

I drove the 72 Beetle from coast to coast several times and never had to do anything to it other than change the oil and a new set of tires.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the yellow bug is a 1971.  Reason is that the 71 Super Beetle had a flat windshield and

the 72  had a curved windshield.  Both had the long front end with McPhearson Strut suspension.

Of my  life of Bugs, 10 in total, I had both the 71 & 72 Super Beetles.  Of my 10 the 1967's were the best ever made.  Second favorite were the 1957's with an oval rear window and sliding  canvas

sun roofs.  Still drive our 1966 VW Bug on AACA Tours.  (Last of the 6 Volt Vw's)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in 1998 when Volkswagen introduced the "New Beetle" the "Punch Buggy" Game became popular once again. Now both the old and new Beetles are used when playing the game. When my niece and nephews see I am driving my 2002 VW New Beetle or see other VW Beetles (old or new) on the road it is fun to watch them play the game with each other and/or their parents. This started when they were young and has continued on into their teenage years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this picture of my Beetle I bought in 1966 when I was in High School. Rag top Sun Roof and flapper turn Signals on the door pillars, and no gas guage. When it starter to run out you had to flip a valve under the dash to open the reserve. I forgot to close it after getting gas and ran out with no reserve a few times, usually a night and had to walk home.20170125_111810.jpg.3d41d2d2613e26e6f322de4a06a340b1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I think the yellow bug is a 1971.  Reason is that the 71 Super Beetle had a flat windshield and

the 72  had a curved windshield.  Both had the long front end with McPhearson Strut suspension.

Of my  life of Bugs, 10 in total, I had both the 71 & 72 Super Beetles.  Of my 10 the 1967's were the best ever made.  Second favorite were the 1957's with an oval rear window and sliding  canvas

sun roofs.  Still drive our 1966 VW Bug on AACA Tours.  (Last of the 6 Volt Vw's)

Sorry, but '73 was the first year of the curved windshields on the super beetles.  I agree that the one pictured in the OP is a '72.  I have owned '65, 71, 74, 99 and 2004 Beetles.  I also have owned a '71 Ghia and '71 Squareback.  My '74 Super Beetle was the only one I bought new.  It was a special edition SunBug.  Every one of them were great cars, giving good performance with great economy as well as being super reliable.  My '74 was the best of the bunch

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I have owned several hundred cars over the years.

I am quite sure that I could count anything foreign on one hand. (possibly less however I don't remember all the cars I have owned)

The one bug I owned cured me. Pedals were to close together.

Oh yea, I just remembered a Bugatti I bought at a garage sale that was VW. Pedals to close together on that one too.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, 72 was the last year of the flatter windshield and the 73 was the first with the curved windshield.

 

My favorite year was also the 1967, in my opinion it had the best looking rear deck lid combined with the newer headlight style.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

First new car I ever bought was a '68 Beetle. Still have the invoice. $1801 plus $75 for a radio. It actually was not a very good car. Later I drove a '69 down to the Dead Sea in Israel in 100 + degree heat. 5 of us in a Beetle. Would have made a good commercial for the air cooled engine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

First new car I ever bought was a '68 Beetle. Still have the invoice. $1801 plus $75 for a radio. It actually was not a very good car. Later I drove a '69 down to the Dead Sea in Israel in 100 + degree heat. 5 of us in a Beetle. Would have made a good commercial for the air cooled engine.

Air Cooled Engines are the best choice for Desert Travel as they will not over heat and stop running.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2018 at 10:12 PM, Doug Novak said:

First car I owned was a used '64 VW. Lots of fun, not fast in fact it's 36HP Engine was a challenge to get up to speed when getting on to Highways.

Punch Buggy (Color) No Punch Backs, is what the kids say here.

The 1964 VW was 40 HP 1200 cc,  which was an improvement over the 36 HP of the earlier bugs (Pre-1961 Bugs)  In 66 they went to 50 HP with the 1300 and 55 HP in 67 with the 1500 cc engine.  Your VW-Porsche is probably 1600 cc's or more.  

With 57 years VW driving experience,  I think the best modification to a stock VW is the addition

of radial ply tires.  Transforms them into "High Performance Sports German Sedans".  We love ours on the mountain roads even though pickup trucks pass us.  "Fahrvergnuegen"  (The joy of driving)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 65 VW that I bought as my daily driver in 1976.  It was pretty well worn at that point.  I prettied it up with a new paint job and drove it for several years.  I really enjoyed driving it and with 40 HP it was a challenge to keep up with traffic.  When a uphill part of the road was coming up I would build up as much speed as possible to get over the hill.  I liked the light steering and the feeling of working with it to keep up my speed.  Now that I am retired I am thinking it would be fun to get one to drive now.  With the speed of today's traffic it would be more challenging to keep up.  Some drivers act like they are in a video game. cutting in front of people and wild lane changes.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

The 1964 VW was 40 HP 1200 cc,  which was an improvement over the 36 HP of the earlier bugs (Pre-1961 Bugs)  In 66 they went to 50 HP with the 1300 and 55 HP in 67 with the 1500 cc engine.  Your VW-Porsche is probably 1600 cc's or more.  

With 57 years VW driving experience,  I think the best modification to a stock VW is the addition

of radial ply tires.  Transforms them into "High Performance Sports German Sedans".  We love ours on the mountain roads even though pickup trucks pass us.  "Fahrvergnuegen"  (The joy of driving)

The '74 VW-Porsche 914 is a 1.8L, flat 4 boxer mid engine with a five speed 911 transmission, built from  '69 to '76 at the VW  Karmann  factory as a joint venture between VW and Porsche to replace the Karmann Gia and the Porsche 912. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bought an early sixties VW beetle to get over to Western Australia in about 1973. Drove across the country OK, then down in the South West, sniffing around for cheap 4WD's to take back East. Late Friday afternoon, and we burned a hole in a piston in the VW. I hitched a ride into the only town in the region, purchased a cheap hotted-up Chrysler Valiant, a tow-rope and a tank of fuel. We towed the VW back to Perth, 250 miles, that night. Next day I pulled the cylinder off and removed the piston. The local wrecking yard charged me the princely sum of $3 for a used piston with rings and gudgeon pin.  Got it in the base of the cylinder, onto the rod, bolted her up, and she was fixed. Heard later that the young bloke whom I sold the VW to was running drugs up to Geraldton, and he did quite a few trips before it seized, when he left it on the road side.

They were a popular car in Australia, and cut-down VW's were highly regarded work horses in the sheep station country here. The large diameter wheels and slow revving motor made them ideal in sand-hill country. Of course, later they were popular as Beach Buggies and the like, for the same reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After my tour of 4yr in the Navy I supported myself and put myself thru college buying and repairing VWs. All of them had engine problems, mostly studs over tightened and pulled loose from the block, with results of the heads/cylinders loose and making a fluttering noise, this was before VW put steel inserts in the block at the factory. The other main problem was prior mechanics leaving out the sheet metal baffles that directed air-flow across the cylinders for cooling. Another problem was people who owned them. They would lug them around causing engine to overheat, that engine needed to be wound up for air-flow, there are marks on the speedometer for which gear you should be in, a lot of people were not aware of the marks or their meaning. I had a blast with the VWs and could turn it around on a dime by a quick jerk on the steering wheel and pulling up on the emergency brake. Those were some of my "good ol days"..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this 66 Beetle and it is amazing the attention it gets everywhere I go. LOL   Kids love it and parents are always asking me if they can take a pciture of it with their kids.  If I am not in a hurry I usually offer to let the kids get in the driver's seat and get a picture if their parent's want to.  Great way to get them interested in the hobby

 

Bob

 

beetle.thumb.jpg.9d4aced9427bb52476b1093c96be45a4.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys are right, I looked it up and the VW site says 73 was the first curved windshield.  Sorry, my picture of mine was labeled 1972 Super Beetle.  The whole time I owned it I thought it was a 72.  Anyway, not a good car with A/C, so I sold it. 

The 1966 has been a pleasure to own for 29 years and it;s done a bunch of AACA Tours 1994-2017. In the earlier years of my ownership, kid would yell "Herbie" when I drove up.  We took old cars to a school and gave kids rides around the parking lot

and my 1966 VW and Bill Brown's 1915 Model T were the most remembered cars for these kids who had just studied the automobile for a few weeks.  I think Herbie is a movie not longer watched by kids since the release of the "Cars" series.

328188693_72SuperBeetle.thumb.jpg.ea79825cb29b8ee19da69cef1534ce00.jpg

783387249_VWFounders.thumb.jpg.8d691a22ffdde89e2af18853a5f95e8d.jpg

 

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Herbie reference (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:00 AM, Vila said:

Looks like a 1972 Super Beetle.  I bought a new Green with Tan interior 72 Super Beetle from Mountain State Motors in Denver, CO when I first when into the Air Force and in training at Lowry AFB.

 

I believe the 72 was the only year to have both that style tail lights and a rear deck lid with 4 rows of vents at the top.  71 had that style tail lights and two rows of longer vents in the rear deck lid while1973 had round tail lights and the 4 rows of vents in the rear deck lid.

 

I also had a 36 HP 1960 VW when I was in college.  As I recall that was the last year of the 36 HP engine in a Beetle.  Top speed was 55 mph unless I was drafting behind a semi, then I could do 70 mph.

 

I drove the 72 Beetle from coast to coast several times and never had to do anything to it other than change the oil and a new set of tires.

The last 36hp engine was produced in the 1965 Type 111  "A" Sedan ( formally known as the STANDARD model) and the Type "A" Sedan 1200 Custom. The difference between the two is the trim levels. These two models are very different from the Type 113 Deluxe Beetle people in the U.S. see. The first 40 HP engine appears in August 1960 as a 1961 deluxe 113 model. I should mention that the 1200 "A" Custom did come with a 40HP engine in Canada only. Canadians in the mid 60's get a choice of the Type 111 1200 Custom or the Type 113 deluxe. The U.S. cars only gets the Deluxe 113. Europe gets all three versions. Top Speed for my 65 111 "A" Sedan 1200 36 HP. Custom is 68-70 MPH. It's a numbers matching car going strong at 178,000 KM. Last month I celebrated 50 years with this car.   

 

Edited by Pfeil
facts (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:21 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

I think the yellow bug is a 1971.  Reason is that the 71 Super Beetle had a flat windshield and

the 72  had a curved windshield.  Both had the long front end with McPhearson Strut suspension.

Of my  life of Bugs, 10 in total, I had both the 71 & 72 Super Beetles.  Of my 10 the 1967's were the best ever made.  Second favorite were the 1957's with an oval rear window and sliding  canvas

sun roofs.  Still drive our 1966 VW Bug on AACA Tours.  (Last of the 6 Volt Vw's)

1971-72 Super Beetle share the same window as the 111 model the standard. 1973 it gets curved.

 As far as 6 volt systems go the 1967 deluxe 113 model gets the new 12 volt system, however we see that in Europe you can still get a 6 Volt 1200"A" for the last time in 1975.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

The 1964 VW was 40 HP 1200 cc,  which was an improvement over the 36 HP of the earlier bugs (Pre-1961 Bugs)  In 66 they went to 50 HP with the 1300 and 55 HP in 67 with the 1500 cc engine.  Your VW-Porsche is probably 1600 cc's or more.  

With 57 years VW driving experience,  I think the best modification to a stock VW is the addition

of radial ply tires.  Transforms them into "High Performance Sports German Sedans".  We love ours on the mountain roads even though pickup trucks pass us.  "Fahrvergnuegen"  (The joy of driving)

In 1964 VW offered three models. Two 111's called Standard, and 1200 Custom and they were 36hp engines, except the 1200Custom for Canada which used the 40HP engine. In 1965, and until the end of German Beetle production in January 1978 the Standard model would be called the "A" Sedan in 65 and thereafter the 1200"A". 

In 1966 the Deluxe model 113 would get a new engine called the 1300 and VW would also revise the 1200 engine to incorporate important features of the 1300 like cam bearings and the larger oil pump. This very 1200 40 HP, with a swing axle and would power the very last beetle ever made in Germany and it would be at the Emden Plant.

 1967 would bring the 1500, but in Europe you could buy a 1300, or 1200.

 1971 would bring the 1600, but in Europe you could buy a 1500, 1300, or 1200 in a Beetle.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:03 AM, Bob Hill said:

I have this 66 Beetle and it is amazing the attention it gets everywhere I go. LOL   Kids love it and parents are always asking me if they can take a pciture of it with their kids.  If I am not in a hurry I usually offer to let the kids get in the driver's seat and get a picture if their parent's want to.  Great way to get them interested in the hobby

 

Bob

 

beetle.thumb.jpg.9d4aced9427bb52476b1093c96be45a4.jpg

 Bob you have a great looking 1966 Beetle with a lot of deluxe features, however your back glass rubber is missing the deluxe bright work trim and your rear tail lamps are the small 1961 and earlier type. The reason VW changed to the bigger tail lamps was so they could be seen which was not as big of a problem in Europe, but the mandatory U.S. and Canadian bumper height requirement necessitated towel rack bumper over riders which hid the lamps and hence VW changed and made them bigger.     

Edited by Pfeil
more facts (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pfeil said:

 Bob you have a great looking 1966 Beetle with a lot of deluxe features, however your back glass rubber trim is missing the deluxe bright work trim and your rear tail lamps are the small 1961 and earlier type. 

 

Yes I realize those things BUT I sold it yesterday so unless the new owner changes them, it will stay that way LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

 There was even a game called, "slug-a-bug" where if you spotted one first and said, "slug-a-bug", you got to slug the other person on the shoulder. (What can I say? I grew up in Detroit.) 

I remember playing that game! 

 

And that was in Edmonton!

 

Craig

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...