leomara

Regarding 1929 Chrysler Model 75's

So I have to admit my ignorance on the topic.  I need to familiarize myself with this automobile and having been a Ford man for a long time my experience is there.  Are there differences between Canadian and domestically produced cars?  What about export models besides the obvious right hand steering in countries where that is the norm?  Is this information somewhere easily to be found?

I don't know of a single source, even if you narrowed your query to a single make or year. In 1931 for example, the vast majority of Chevrolet cars were manufactured in the USA at several different plants. However, they shipped some partially assembled chassis to Canada where further parts (fenders for example) were stamped out and the final car assembled and plated as Made in Canada. My '31 CaNADIAN BUILT cOACH HAD DIFFERENT FENDERS, PAINT SCHEME, HOOD SIDES, DOOR HANDLES (THEY USED PREVIOUS YEASR 1930 HANDLES), A DIFFERENT SET OF PARTS NUMBERS STAMPED ON TRANSMISSION ETC. This was a means of getting around duty issues. Canada was also the primary exporter of Chevrolets (with RHD), in particular to Commonwealth countries, again for tax and duty reasons. So that is a precis of one year, one model. While Ford and Chrysler Corp also had some assembly in Canada, as did Buick (McLauchlan Buick), the extent of such outside USA manufacturing/assembly varied widely by company, year and model.  

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

I have one of 12 surviving Canadian made Dodge Brothers Eights. About 979 were made in Windsor, Ontario.

The Canadian content includes starter and generator made by The Mackinnon Industries in St Catharines, ONT. The wire wheels are Canadian made with larger hub caps. Apparently the spokes are 2 Ga. whereas US wheels have 3 Ga. spokes and the locking ring land is square, whereas on US cars it is rounded and leaning outwards. I have just learnt the lock plugs or barrels could be different - US made cars had B & S locks, mine appears to have Union locks - the key blank is quite different. There are a number of other differences, minor in comparison. There is a Dodge Brothers Canada manufacturer's body badge (with an error in it -"Registrada"" is usually abbreviated to RGTRDA, on mine it is RGTGDA). Clearly, there will be other Canadian content, to the same design - wiring, seats, upholstery, floor boards and so on.

g7830.thumb.jpg.1ff282676666377cbb7143bc7f5c7c12.jpg 1242748031_BodyTag20150917.thumb.jpg.f49accf4116153fb4a51750a837189ed.jpg

I suspect Chrysler Canada would have similar differences.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Get hold of a copy of " THE CHRYSLER MASTER PARTS LIST  for all models prior to 1934".

In the parts lists, there are different part numbers for USA and Canadian supplied parts and it also gives the part numbers for LHD and RHD parts.

So for example, lets say a steering wheel for your model 75, it will list the part number for an American supplied one and then another number for a Canadian supplied one. They may or may not interchange and one may have a maple wood rim and the other may have a oak wood rim. Unfortunately the parts list will not tell you what the difference is in these 2 parts, but at least you will know they are different for some reason.

Viv..

The Chrysler Historical Society as noted on home page of this forum does not have any production/build records for Chryslers assembled in Canada. There are however some members of this site (DC8Dave for example) who have extensive knowledge on Canadian Mopar cars based on their years of research. I have recently found ( in a barn) and purchased one of the rarest Canadian Chryslers, a 1931 CD8 Roadster, I believe to be one of perhaps 4-10 such cars assembled here in 1931, and the only known survivor. Because it was such a low volume car, I expect virtually everything for the car came from the USA for assembly here, including the all steel Budd body. It is Serial# 9820125, and wears Budd body CD1457R, the body for the 1457th Roadster of about 1700 built by Budd that year. In the USA CD8 Roadsters made up about 6% of CD8 production which was near 24,000 for all models. Roadster demand in the cold Canadian climate would likely be more like 1-3% of production, and with CD8 assembly in Canada totalling 380 cars, Canadian built Roadsters would total 4-10 cars. TMI?

The DC-8 parts list isn't very rigorous in the Canadian part numbers where they are different. The DC wire wheels have a different part number but the larger hub cap is not differentiated - there is only one part number. The Master Parts list in 1934 does differentiate the hub caps.

I just a couple of months ago I sold a 1929 Chrysler Model 75 Parts list for Canadian built cars to a gent in Australia. Likely a rare book, it most likely has everything you need to know about parts for this model. Guy I think is a member on here, if you like, I can send him a PM and see if he is interested in sharing the info. 

On a more basic note, would the serial number of the vehicle or motor tell if it was of domestic origin?

Yes. Serial numbers for US and Canada were in different sequences. The engine numbers were not.

Just got a new reprint of the 1929 Chrysler Model 75 owners manual from down under.  Couldn't find a used one from any of the HMN dealers or on Ebay for a long time.